Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ritchey 29"er?

Trying to grow a mustache
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Have one in my stand right now, actually.
    So..... Pics please!?
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

IllumaDucati
    Quote Originally Posted by jacdykema
    Can a Ritchey be a Ritchey without that classic seat cluster?
    Can a Ritchey be a Ritchey if it wasn't mitered and welded by Tom Ritchey?

Klunker Kev`
    When exactly did Tom stop making them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    No ****? With the old Nokians even? Pictures please.

still finishing it up. and yep, with the Nokians... you can read a little about the 650b Ritchey here:

http://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs...icycling11.JPG

and a little here. Jim Merz also had a real light 650b mtb that he made for Tim Rutlege to race the cyclocross nationals.

http://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs...bicycling6.JPG

bonked
    Cool, thanks FB
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MERK26
    When exactly did Tom stop making them?
    All of them? 1986 I think.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I asked the company -- they said these were brazed by Tom himself.

mtbr member
    The frames at the bike show were brazed Tom, but the production versions will not. Regardless, its nice to see one of the old guard of MTB lore coming back to the market. I assume this will open the door for Ritchey to start making tires as well.

Having owned Ritchey MTB and road bikes in the past, I'm truely excited about this. While the headtube may look ugly to some, its another example of Tom coming up with creative designs.

Welcome back Ritchey!!!

Klunker Kev`
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats
    All of them? 1986 I think.
    Thanks. So after that point, what went on? When did he totally cease production? I mean, for the average Joe, not a buddy...

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by MERK26
    Thanks. So after that point, what went on? When did he totally cease production? I mean, for the average Joe, not a buddy...
    Tom started importing frames in '85, but continued making them himself as well. In about 1990 he really scaled back on his production. All of the TIG-welded frames were imported, although in some cases Tom did finish work. I believe that Tom did all of the fillet brazed bikes. I'm not sure when the last of the fillet bikes were made, but they were in the catalogs (with very limited availability) until the late 90s.

For the imported frames, with the introduction of the "break-away" series production moved from Japan to Taiwan.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    If Tom would build a hardtail built around a 100mm travel fork I would buy it in a heartbeat. If he would build one with an EBB so I could set it up as a single speed or a 1x9 that would be even better.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Leg Shaver
    I dig everything about the new p-29 and the Swiss Cross. HT too! Must be a better weld joint that size......

I'd like curved stays back on the cross but WTF the red with the red post looks brilliant.
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

Leg Shaver
    move this thread to the 29er forum
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Tom started importing frames in '85, but continued making them himself as well. In about 1990 he really scaled back on his production. All of the TIG-welded frames were imported, although in some cases Tom did finish work. I believe that Tom did all of the fillet brazed bikes. I'm not sure when the last of the fillet bikes were made, but they were in the catalogs (with very limited availability) until the late 90s.

For the imported frames, with the introduction of the "break-away" series production moved from Japan to Taiwan.
    Interesting - I always thought TIG frames (except for certain Ascent frames in certain years) were still made in CA, but just not by Tom himself. Not really sure where I got that, though...

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Interesting - I always thought TIG frames (except for certain Ascent frames in certain years) were still made in CA, but just not by Tom himself. Not really sure where I got that, though...
    A few models were US made... Some Ultras were US made, and some other models, but most models were not. The P-series frames from the 90s were not. I believe that Toyo in Japan built the majority of the frames.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux

From my understanding the plexus stays on the Plexus, Chicane, the later SwissCross's and Mt Cross's were welded by Tom.
    The front triangle was welded in Japan and shipped over for rear triangle and paint.
    I have a 2002 curved stayed SC. If this is the case he had his hands on them into the early 2000's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2