mtbr member

Ride Report Dirt Drop Ritchey

By 1600 yesterday all my chores were done and I was ready for a ride. Feeling like playing hard, I went in to grab my supermondodeluxe full suspension when the Ritchey greeted me on the bike stand instead. I stared,thought about it. Not complete I havent even clipped and capped the cables yet. The brakes felt super mushy when riding a simple access road Friday afternoon. She still reeled me in. The anticipation, collecting the parts over the past year, no self control, put it together to ride. The heck with pretty pictures before I get it dirty. Added a few more tools to the riding pack and racked the steed up on the Suburban.

Riding Tiger is a typical old school Washington MTB trail. Three or so miles of constant up hill gravel road, followed by some wonderful gradual rolly singletrack descents. Even on my best day I was never a strong climber and a few decades ago lost all desires to be the first one to the top of the hill. That said, the dirt drop climbed very well and nobody passed me on the way up (someday I will tell you the Unicycle story). Compared to my Supermondodeluxe tanker (or even my TimberComp with bullmoose setup), I felt like I was flying up the hill. Love the drop bars and how they feel.

I had used an old Suntour reference off of Mombats site to set up my roller cams. Not sure why, but it instructed me to gap the pads about 3.5mm away from the rim. Felt way too far away for me. Quick fix before the descent was just to adjust the cables for a pad much closer to the rims. Made all the difference in the world.

Admittedly, by the time I got to the top of the gravel road, I had a bad case of the "Wanna reel in some full suspension full body armor cruisers on the way down this trail" throbbing to the beat of some long forgotten Henry Rollins song going through my veins. I saw about 20 cars in the parking lot and knew they were all somewhere ahead of me mocking my lack of climbing skills. A quick shot of water from the naglene bottle in the pack, (still looking for the right bottle cage) and I was off.

Bliss. Been riding Tiger for a couple of decades and know the trail (and its evolution over time) pretty well.Every root and little drop is like a good friend. Top section is deffinately an E ticket. Roller coaster, followed by a technical rooty section, leading into multiple little 1-2 foot drops section. The roller coaster just pumped me up and got my adrenalin going. Bike felt great. Hit the rooty section way too fast but by then it was too late. "Game On". Beat the crap out of myself ( Thank goodness the RM20's are still true) riding through the rooty section like I had five inches of suspension front and rear. I can't help it, I have no self control.....Hurt like hell, but I was laughing out loud the whole time like a little kid (yes I was alone and yes I laugh and talk to myself sometimes also).

So here I am. Except for being quite a bit older, riding Tiger on a vintage Ritchey the same way I rode the trail 20 years ago. I have recieved many comments over the years about being very fast in the downhill sections but admittedly have not once been told how smooth my riding style is. Never enjoyed the lightweight evolution very much because the stuff just wouldn't last under my lardass weight. At fifty lbs heavier than the heaviest man ever to win the TDF (Indurain at 172lbs), I am a bike parts makers worst nightmare.

Finally through the "roots from hell" section and ito the mini drop offs. After a half dozen or so, I was really getting the hang of the bike and getting smooth consistent air. Things were really cool but I still hadn't reeled in any other riders yet. Then it happened. Not the end of the world, I had landed a jump off of about a 2 foot high root and came short of a rock on the other side. didn't fall but knew as soon as I hit the rock edge straight on what would happen. Snake bite. The immediate hissing from the front tire brought back all sorts of memories from past rides. No biggie, The Ground Controls are easy tires to take on and off the rm20's (no tools required even for these old hands). Replaced the tube and got pissed off at the piece of crap had pump I brought along. Seemed to be pulling out air from the presta tube with every back stroke on the pump. Never used this pump before, I had picked it up at a bike shop when I couldn't find my old reliable one. After messing around for a while I finally got enough air in the tube to get out of there (I kid you not, I counted 4 sets of 100 pumps and still it felt like 25 lbs of pressure). Good enough if I take it easy.

Well that lasted 5 minutes. Can't help myself. Things were too fun. Got back on the ride and within a few minutes, it was full throttle again. Predictable results, with that low of air pressure, I pinched the front tire again, only this time, no spare tube, I had to patch.

Got through that ok, another four or five sets of 100 screaming at the mini pump from hell and I was ready to go. Throttled way, way back and decided it was time to enjoy the scenery.

Putzing along way too slow, I came to a section of roots I usually can just pop over with a little bit of speed. Half way through doing my best Hans Rey impression, I suddenly felt like I was mimicking a well viewed picture taken at Keyesville of some other rider here on the VRC forum.

Being a long time old school geometry mtb vetran, I have had the slow motion over the handlebar roll mastered for many years. Something caught me funny this time though, and for some reason instead of doing a beautiful shoulder roll, I managed to land directly on my Sub Zero. I loved that helmet and it is sad to see it go. Heck I have used it mtbing since...since......well, since I smashed my sub 6 the same way.......I never have subscribed th the throw it away after three seasons rule and I am here to say, after many years, the sub zeros foam did exactly what it should have compressing and protecting my head (I think).

Picked up the biggest of the foam pieces stuffed em in the pack and continued on my way.....

From here out with no helmet, a funky feeling in my neck, and little to no pride left, I continued out at a slow pace. I walked through sections I have never walked through before. I took a long stop in a recent clear cut to watch a deer feeding on the edge where the trees were saved (this time) from the loggers saw. So serene, I couldn't help but think summer is almost over, and with the end of summer comes hunting season, that dude was ******. My little boo boo didn't feel so bad as I thought about the deer running from one side of the mountain to the other dodging bullets as long as he could to stay alive.

The bike: I tend to want to be different so I went with a campy headset and campy brake levers (campy white hoods). That lead to white tape, saddle, and cables. Doesn't blend in right with the blue frame. A bit too much, time to find some Shimano 600 levers and headset. I should be able to find a black Regal saddle with a little looking. Brakes worked great with the pads adjusted closer to the rim. I had no problem getting the tire on and off the frame to fix flats trailside. The dirt drop setup feels great. I had put together an old Aspen last summer with a retro dirt drop setup and had a good idea what to expect this time around. This frame fits me right on. tme to put those ground controls aside and determine how big a tire I can get inside that triangle and fork for a little more cush.

Made it back to the parking lot and all the cars were gone except two. I never did reel anyone in. But then with all my issues nobody passed me up either. Not nearly enough MTB friendly trails this close to the city, I think it is interesting how so many people can enjoy this trail and still get a little bit of that wilderness feeling.

Cheers,
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Tim, glad to hear you're okay after landing on your head like that. Those tires look really beefy! I like the campag. Did you like the drop bars? You bike look great.

Can you inform the general public of what shitty pump you used?
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Humanoid Lobster
    Just find some black hoods for the Campy levers! Most aftermarket hoods are fine. (AME, Modolo, etc.) Buy a few pairs if you can, they're the first thing to get trashed.

I hear you about that pump. I once threw a Blackburn pump off the George Washington Bridge into the Hudson River because I was so PO'ed. Borrowed a Silca from someone who passed.

Nice looking bike, I like the white. Sounds like a good ride aside from the fall, glad you're ok!
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We want the unicycle story.

I keep thinking about doing a dirt drop build. I have a set on my 700c touring bike that I occasionally hit trails with, but I really need to slow it down on anything technical with those skinny tires. I'm a bit curious (and frightened) to see what it would be like to hit jumps and drops with drop bars.

When I hit my trails with my old rigid singlespeed, my goal (and I usually achieve it) is to pass all other riders on any uphill and get enough ahead to make sure they can't catch me on the downhill. I know my local trails so well that I can often widen the gap even on the downhills. Nothing like home field advantage.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Roller cam set up is not quite as simple as setting the pads at a certain distance from the rims. It's more a matter of setting the rollers at the right spot on the cam so that you utilize the hump when you pull the lever and then get into the higher leverage portion when the pads do touch the rim. Rim width, brake boss width, pad thickness can all be factors that come into play when setting the cam up right...

Sounds like a nice ride minus the unexpected stop. When do we get more bike pics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Picked up the biggest of the foam pieces stuffed em in the pack and continued on my way.....

From here out with no helmet, a funky feeling in my neck, and little to no pride left, I continued out at a slow pace...
    Great write up T!

I my own head hurt after reading this

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That sounds like a lot of my rides -- especially the multiple pinch flats and swearing at the mini pump. Not to mention that familiar slow-motion over-the-bars sensation. Nice looking bike, and a great writeup -- cool to see a ride report on a classic bicycle.

mtbr member
    I was rambling and having fun when I typed this up the other day. Sheesh, didn't realize how crappy my sentence structure, spelling etc. was......
    Suppose I can blame it on bumping my head....
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Stokeless Asshat
    Great story. I like the white also. It works on that bike.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Indeed. And count me as another nod for the white.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Sweet Bike and ride report!
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike
    Tim, glad to hear you're okay after landing on your head like that. Those tires look really beefy! I like the campag. Did you like the drop bars? You bike look great.

Can you inform the general public of what shitty pump you used?
    Sorry for the delay, I just pulled it out of my pack to file.

Blackburn MS-1 Mtn Stik.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Roller cam set up is not quite as simple as setting the pads at a certain distance from the rims. It's more a matter of setting the rollers at the right spot on the cam so that you utilize the hump when you pull the lever and then get into the higher leverage portion when the pads do touch the rim. Rim width, brake boss width, pad thickness can all be factors that come into play when setting the cam up right...

Sounds like a nice ride minus the unexpected stop. When do we get more bike pics?
    Having never adjusted roller cams before, first I stared at several pictures of the setup on bikes posted here on VRC. Then I followed these instructions kindly posted on the MOMBAT website:
    http://mombat.org/85XCSport4.jpg
    http://mombat.org/85XCSport5.jpg

This gave me a good concept and got me close, although I am sure some of you professionals could get them perfect.

Being selfish on the close up pics. I really like this bike and build, so until I have everything adjusted perfectly, squeaky clean and with the perfect part selection, I am holding out.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    T,

Love the story, love the bike

Glad you're OK.

Looking forward to seeing some "glamour shots".

Steve

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Having never adjusted roller cams before, first I stared at several pictures of the setup on bikes posted here on VRC. Then I followed these instructions kindly posted on the MOMBAT website:
    http://mombat.org/85XCSport4.jpg
    http://mombat.org/85XCSport5.jpg

This gave me a good concept and got me close, although I am sure some of you professionals could get them perfect.

Being selfish on the close up pics. I really like this bike and build, so until I have everything adjusted perfectly, squeaky clean and with the perfect part selection, I am holding out.

Hey T-

The Suntour rollercam instructions linked above do not seem to address a crucial part of setup - the dimension between roller centers from left arm to right arm. Suntour used to sell a third hand tool to make setup to this dimension easy - it is still available
    http://www.bikestash.com/tools/sunto...tool-p-92.html
    Of course you don't need the tool if you know the recommended dimension. I seem to remember a thread on VRC that mentioned that dimension and it worked well the one time I tried to set up this brake. It gets the cam positioned properly on the sweet spot. The instructions that come with the third hand tool might even be posted on the forum somewhere.

BTW, the instructions you looked at are for XC Sport, and I believe yours are the higher-end CB-6000s.