mtbr member
    Aug 2007

quick question about syncros fbi headset

i couldn't find a parts drawing anywhere in the net, not even a pic that would answer my question.
    i have a fbi headset here but am not sure if i've lost the lower race. there's a thin metal plate with a rubber seal, then there's a heavy part that contacts this thin plate on the down side and the bearing on the above side. is this part the race and the "lower cover for the bearings"at the same time or is there an additional part that i've lost?
    would be great if someone could check or help, many thanks!

NICE KID...NICE

I asked the samer question when I got mine.

There is no crown race or......the roller/needle bearing cartirge is the crown race. You just slide the roller bearing cartrige on the steerer tube and install it as if it was the race. This means smacking it with the crownrace tool until it seats on the steerer tube. I was a little freaked out at first too. I went to build my Gran Mal after waiting like 3 months for misc parts and then I was like...NO CROWN RACE...WTF. So you are not missing the race, it is just all one piece...the roller/needle bearing cartrige and the race are together. PM me if you need any more info.

FYI... that head set was designed after some dirtbike head sets...so it should take a beating.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    many thanks!!!
    the story behind that is that when i built my uzzi, i took the upper bearing of the syncros and the lower of an fsa the pig, because the fork was already cut and with the syncros lower it would have hit the downtube. so i had this lower syncros somewhere in a box with a bunch of other parts and now i'm building up another bike where i just combine fsa and syncros the other way round to save money and use parts. glad that i've got everything!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So how do you swap the lower seal and bearing to another fork without turning the seal into a floppy taco? I've had to swap forks numerous times and ended up having to beat the little piece of metal out to get it sorta flat again every time.