the new Gilbert Grape

P-650b cable stops

I'm building up a P-650b and I'm having problems with running the deraileur cables. Standard 4 or 5 mm housing ferules do not seem to fit into the cable stops. The biggest issue is the stop just behind the head tube where the cables come in at a steepish angle form the shifters.

Below is a picture of a standard 5mm housing and ferule. The ferule is shown about as deep in the stop as it will fit. A 4mm cable does no better. Is there a special ferule this is needed for these stops?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-650b cable stops-wp_000643.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

nothing relevant to say
    Paint buildup perhaps? I've had this happen with powder coated frames. Do you have a Dremel with the small sanding barrel? I cleaned out a stop using that on a slow speed, very carefully.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I'm building up a P-650b and I'm having problems with running the deraileur cables. Standard 4 or 5 mm housing ferules do not seem to fit into the cable stops. The biggest issue is the stop just behind the head tube where the cables come in at a steepish angle form the shifters.

Below is a picture of a standard 5mm housing and ferule. The ferule is shown about as deep in the stop as it will fit. A 4mm cable does no better. Is there a special ferule this is needed for these stops?
    I haven't heard of there being problems with this before. Have you tried other ferules? It is a pretty standard size so if all ferules are giving you problems. It's possible it's just a little paint buildup.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

the new Gilbert Grape
    Okay, I found a solution. First I tried to clean out the stops but there was nothing to clean out and all of the stops were similarly sized. The ferrules were going in as deep as they could and bottoming out. Then I got the idea to try larger ferrules and that worked. I had an old set of step-down ferrules that were used in the 80's on some bikes. These ferrules are larger than standard 5mm cable ferrules and fit perfectly into the cable stops without any play.

5mm ferrules work well enough in the other stops. They fit a bit loose, but only the stop behind the head tube has cables coming into it at steep angles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-650b cable stops-wp_000653.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Pictures , review?

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Pictures , review?
    Funny you should say. The March issue of Switchback magazine will have a comprehensive review of the P-650B. We just got our copy at the office so they should be hitting the newsstands very soon, if not already.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

the new Gilbert Grape
    I've finally put enough miles on the p-650b to give a review. It took a bit of tweaking to get the fit and feel that I wanted. I'm 6' 1/2", about 170 pounds, and own a 19-in frame. I started off with a narrow 580mm handlebar and slightly longer stem, and eventually switched to a slightly wider 635mm bar with a 100mm stem. I prefer the wider set-up.

The bike is built with a 100mm X-Fusion Velvet RL fork, Magura brakes, Chris King hubs wtih Stan's 355 rims, and mostly 10+ year old 9-speed XTR drive train. The bike weighs in at about 24.5 pounds.

The frame itself is a bit different than most as it is fillet brazed instead of TIG welded. I bought it through a NICA fund-raising auction, and it's one of the few "new" Ritchey fillet brazed frames (made by Tom) that has has been made.

The bike rides really well. I've been riding off-road for nearly 25 years and have had the chance to ride a lot of different bikes. This bike handles as well (or better) than any other hardtail that I've owned or ridden. It's stable at speed, but still plenty quick when I need it to be. I'm continually surprised at how well it does on high-speed downhills - it's not as smooth or as fast as my full-suspension frame, but it doesn't loose that much in comparison. On fast twisty trails the bike moves effortlessly where I point it. On the climbs it does great - I'm sill trying to find a rear 650b tire that hooks up well on sandy hardback when climbing out of the saddle, but beyond that it's a great climber.

As I said I've ridden many different bikes. For hardtails I'd say that this is my favorite. I've ridden hardtails that climb a little better, but none that do everything as well as this one. It's a blast to ride.

I took this picture on last night's ride. I took the dogs out for a quick 8-mile 1,100 feet of climbing ride. You can see one of the dogs relaxing at the top of the climb.

P-650b cable stops-wp_001305.jpg