ride

P-29er custom build with cool mods

I built up this P-29er at the beginning of the summer and it's been nothing short of amazing.

I've got quite a few rides in on 'er so far. Everything from rocky steep technical to paved roads and dirt roads and everything in between. The P-29er is pretty much everything I could've asked for from a hardtail.

Sooo, how to improve it? Thru Axle! Fortunately, I had converted my REEB singlespeed to thru axle earlier this year so I had some dropouts laying around. The Paragon sliders on my REEB are an exact fit to the sliding dropouts on the Ritchey.

Plus, doing this you can kill 2 birds with one stone and git rid of your brake adaptor as well. Post mount slider!

The ride? Doesn't change the comfort of the bike at all, but noticeable is stiffness under power and instant power delivery. Definitely worth it if you're looking for a little something extra out of your Ritchey. Do it!

Ritchey Dave, I know it's more expensive, but this is definitely an option that you guys should explore
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    fantastic! - can you comment what size thru axle is that? 12mm?

Which paragon model # dropouts is that?

Also - have you experimented to exactly where on the P29 sliders is the axle best suited for? You seem to have your about 5mm from full front. I had mine pushed all the way forward, but I'm looking for a bit more stability.

ride
    It's the dropouts for 12x142 DT Swiss. I've played around with thru axles on a few bikes and prefer the DT. Dropouts are B4027 and B4028.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Ritchey Design Rep
    Thanks for posting. That's a cool modification and good to know that that option is out there for people.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Not really a mod - but managed to squeeze some Surly Knard 29x3" tyres on P29er:

About 0.5mm clearance on rear meant there was constant slight tyre rub just due to tyre squirm. Took it for a 50 miler in sandy conditions just to enjoy extra grip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and the fact that the red rims match the seat, stem and bar ends are a bonus!