mtbr member

Ordered Syncros Point N Chute 2.35 tire

My Flite came with 2.34 Nevegals. Great tires with great traction and grip. However they roll very slow. More like a 20lb anchor dragging behind you if you do any XC at all.

I decided to keep the Nevegal up front and did a lot of research for a good replacement for the rear. Most high volume tires offered great dry traction but from the reviews they seemed to suck in areas where there are wet rocks, wet roots, mud...etc.

I avoid muddy trails for the most part but sometimes there are sections I need to clear. So I wanted a tire at least decent in muddy conditions.

Some potentials were:

- Ardent
    - High Roller
    - Small Block
    - Excavator
    - Mibro

Aside from the Mibro, the other tires were much more expensive than the Point N Chute. The PNC are only $22. I should be getting them pretty soon and hopefully will post a review and see how I like them. If they don't suite my riding and trails, I'll have to continue with the search and maybe try out one of the tires mentioned above.

mtbr member
    So I got the Point N Chute 2.35 today. Due to the weather haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

The knobs are lower than the Nevegal which will probably reduce rolling resistance.

The tire is very similar to the Nevegal in terms of width which is a good thing. The Nevegal looks a little higher due to the knobs but I measured the height from the rim to the top of the knobs and they both came to around 52mm-54mm.

mtbr member
    let us know how well it rolls! size looks good, weight looks good.. promising tire.

mtbr member
    Who knows when I'll be able to test it since we're getting hit by snow storms one after the other.

If it helps you at all, the label says LR Pro (Low Rolling resistance rubber).

I'm very impressed the tire is a "true" 2.35. Adding the 2.5 version upfront could be a potential.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Where did you order it from?

mtbr member
    Nationalbicycleco.com They are the only ones I was able to find who carry it in the US. $21. The tire is available in europe.

I AM I AM
    I'm running a 2.5 on the back of my HT at the moment. We have a lot of pea gravel around here so I found the Syncros FLT better up front for cornering.
    It seems to be very durable (the PNC3) even for on road riding, so considering the mid compound is pretty hard wearing I'm not sure how grippy it would be on the wet stuff, I don't ride much in the wet but I know mud clearance was certainly no worse than a High Roller etc.

I've been happy with it as an all round tire (even for some DH), and am not really looking at changing the rear for anything else except maybe down to a 2.35 size eventually.

Look forward to reading your opinion!

mtbr member
    I've run the 2.1 size and was pleasently surprrised with the traction. It gripped the trail better than a XC Pro 2.1. I'll be running this tire again as my summer rear once things dry out.

40a
    I've used a 2.5 as a hardpack tire up front for quite a while and have always loved it. Fast AND it corners. I just wish it was closer to a true 2.5.
    cosmic slop.

mtbr member
    So far I really like the 2.35 Syncros Point N Chute. It's not as grippy as the Nevegals, but it rolls great and offers adequate traction while climbing sandy sections at the lower gears. It corners will and is predictable.

I highly recommend this tire for those who need a high volume tire with little rolling resistance and without sacrificing much traction. Also the price at $21 makes this tire a great candidate.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    So far I really like the 2.35 Syncros Point N Chute. It's not as grippy as the Nevegals, but it rolls great and offers adequate traction while climbing sandy sections at the lower gears. It corners will and is predictable.

I highly recommend this tire for those who need a high volume tire with little rolling resistance and without sacrificing much traction. Also the price at $21 makes this tire a great candidate.
    Too bad Syncros now sells tires only in Europe.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Too bad Syncros now sells tires only in Europe.
    Fortunately you can still buy the tire from www.nationalbicycleco.com in the US

mtbr member
    Another update...

After the first few rides I was still skeptical on how the tire performed over loose sandy sections. So I lowered the pressure from 35psi to 30 psi and the tire felt much better. Next time I'll drop it down to 28psi.

So far I'm loving this tire. Can't confirm how durable it is since I haven't had it for long.