Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner View Post
    I may have missed this question already but how does one fit the tapered steer forks on this bike now? It is increasingly difficult to find new straight steerer forks
    Unfortunately a tapered steer tube fork will not work on this frame. There is still a good amount of fork manufacturers still producing 1 1/8" steer tube fork options.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Another question to p29er owners.... I am seriously thinking of getting a p29er. Think it looks like a beautiful bike. How do you find the length of the chain stays? As they are quite long is it hard to lift the front end?
    Ritchey Dave... Is there any plans to change the chain stays on the frame??
    Thanks for your help

ride
    17.5" axle to center of bb with the wheel jammed all the way forward in the drops. Good clearance with a Tioga Psycho Genius 2.25 as well. I've been running mine in the middle and love the way the bike handles. No problem getting the front end up for me. There's a good inch plus of adjustability.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome thanks

ride
    I put a post up recently in this forum, some may have seen. Thought I'd update the P-29er thread with a way to eek a little more performance out of your P-29

P-29er custom build with cool mods
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So I have taken the plunge and grabbed a P-29er frame in size small.
    Ordered a 2013 Sid XX 100mm fork and Stans Gold Race wheelset to go with my new XTR group

Should be a super nice steely ride and am excited about owning my first 29er after riding only 26" hardtails since 1990

Will post pics once parts start arriving and she starts to come together
    I am still undecided as to what type of seatpost for ride quality.
    Been thinking Titanium or carbon but am wondering about possible frame oxidisation from materials?

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    So I have taken the plunge and grabbed a P-29er frame in size small.
    Ordered a 2013 Sid XX 100mm fork and Stans Gold Race wheelset to go with my new XTR group

Should be a super nice steely ride and am excited about owning my first 29er after riding only 26" hardtails since 1990

Will post pics once parts start arriving and she starts to come together
    I am still undecided as to what type of seatpost for ride quality.
    Been thinking Titanium or carbon but am wondering about possible frame oxidisation from materials?
    Sounds like that'll be a pretty amazing build. Spray the inside with J.P. Weigles Bicycle Frame Saver every once in a while and you'll have nothing to worry about.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks ritchey dave
    Haven't heard of that product and after google searching it appears to not be distributed in Australia
    There is a rust proofing product called Valvoline Tectyl 506 that apparently does a similar job?
    Someone else mentioned a Lanolin spray?

Ritchey Design Rep
    I think you'll be fine with either of those. I've even heard (but never tried) WD-40 will work.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you'll google "Rust prevention: A test of popular treatments" on bikeforums.net, miamijim did a test of a series of treatments on bare metal.
    There are several alternatives to Weigle's tested.

I can't post a link since I have fewer than 10 total posts. (That and I'm always worried about linking to another forum anyway.)

mtbr member
    Size 17" and 19" :

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^My, oh my. Those are very nice.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    8,79kgrs with pedals :
    [url=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=4273592012RITCHEYP29PEL6.jpg]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My first 29er, Ritchey P-29er build.

Really happy with how mine came up when finished and the ride is sensational

New Ritchey 29er-ritchey-p-29er-033-1280x857-.jpgNew Ritchey 29er-ritchey-p-29er-025-1280x857-.jpg

Belgicano
    Jan 2009

just finished mine...

...but I'll have to wait until Saturday to ride it. 23lbs with pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ritchey 29er-ritchey-p-29er.jpg  

Chile Bike shop, Morelia, Mich.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hello. Beautiful frame. Does anyone know if there's a way to rig a quick release to the seat post braze ons? Every ride I go on involves fast, rocky, jumpy sorts of descents, and I like the saddle out of the way. And yes, I know it's an XC bike. Thanks

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by SeB-66 View Post
    Hello. Beautiful frame. Does anyone know if there's a way to rig a quick release to the seat post braze ons? Every ride I go on involves fast, rocky, jumpy sorts of descents, and I like the saddle out of the way. And yes, I know it's an XC bike. Thanks
    I recommend getting one of them new fangled dropper posts. They're designed for exactly what you're talking about. Otherwise in order to put a quick release on one of our frames you'd need to either modify the frame, or find an older seat tube quick release that has the same thread pitch. That might be kind of tough.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchey_dave View Post
    I recommend getting one of them new fangled dropper posts. They're designed for exactly what you're talking about. Otherwise in order to put a quick release on one of our frames you'd need to either modify the frame, or find an older seat tube quick release that has the same thread pitch. That might be kind of tough.
    Thanks, but I was thinking of getting a thudbuster seatpost because my back is kinda sketchy.

I appreciate the response.

Gorgeous bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ignazjr: Can you fit a 2.2 or 2.3 tire in the rear? Also, has anyone tried the P-29 with a 120mm fork to slacken out the head tube angle. Moderator, would this void the warranty?

Thanks, CDIDriver

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    I put a post up recently in this forum, some may have seen. Thought I'd update the P-29er thread with a way to eek a little more performance out of your P-29

P-29er custom build with cool mods

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    ignazjr: Can you fit a 2.2 or 2.3 tire in the rear? Also, has anyone tried the P-29 with a 120mm fork to slacken out the head tube angle. Moderator, would this void the warranty?

Thanks, CDIDriver
    Keeping in mind that a tire's actual size varies depending on the manufacturer, most 2.2-2.3 tires will fit between the rear stays. The frame is designed for a 100mm travel fork, and while I don't see any problems arising from the use of a 120mm fork, it could conceivably cause a warranty to be denied due to the added stress on the tubes and joints. Plus it would significantly affect how well the bikes rides.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for your responses to my questions Ritchey Dave. I have a couple of additional questions. I am 5'8.5" with a 30" inseam and would like to purchase a medium 17" frame as I prefer a longer top tube. Accordingly, can you provide to me the distance from top tube and seat tube junction to the top of the seat tube so I can back into the potentential stand over height. Lastly to any 17" P-29 riders, please confirm your height and inseam for your medium frame.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey_dave View Post
    Keeping in mind that a tire's actual size varies depending on the manufacturer, most 2.2-2.3 tires will fit between the rear stays. The frame is designed for a 100mm travel fork, and while I don't see any problems arising from the use of a 120mm fork, it could conceivably cause a warranty to be denied due to the added stress on the tubes and joints. Plus it would significantly affect how well the bikes rides.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    Thanks for your responses to my questions Ritchey Dave. I have a couple of additional questions. I am 5'8.5" with a 30" inseam and would like to purchase a medium 17" frame as I prefer a longer top tube. Accordingly, can you provide to me the distance from top tube and seat tube junction to the top of the seat tube so I can back into the potentential stand over height. Lastly to any 17" P-29 riders, please confirm your height and inseam for your medium frame.

Many thanks
    From the top of the top tube/seat tube junction up to the top of the seat tube is 34.9mm.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Has anyone else had problems with the rear wheel alignment?

When my wheel is pushed all the way forward on the sliders the wheel is substantially closer to the drive side chain stays. Then when I adjust the drive side adjuster the wheel is miss-aligned against the seat stays. My frame has been like this since new but now my rear rotor seems to rub when I'm doing any seated climbs (ie apply power to the pedals) My LBS and no one else seems to be able to stop it.

Thoughts please.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by kaipaki348 View Post
    Has anyone else had problems with the rear wheel alignment?

When my wheel is pushed all the way forward on the sliders the wheel is substantially closer to the drive side chain stays. Then when I adjust the drive side adjuster the wheel is miss-aligned against the seat stays. My frame has been like this since new but now my rear rotor seems to rub when I'm doing any seated climbs (ie apply power to the pedals) My LBS and no one else seems to be able to stop it.

Thoughts please.
    It might be defective. Did your LBS call our warranty department?

Dave
    Dave Law

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast