Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Any plans for a P29 with standard, fixed dropouts?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Lovely, I would like to get one of these for bikepacking and long xc rides. Guess I will have to spraypaint it flat black for my trans-Asia trip or risk having stones tossed at me.

more stones than usual, I mean!

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by red bank rider View Post
    HI Ritchey Dave,
    The Ritchey P29 mentions the steel as "Ritchey Logic II steel"...do you know anything more about this steel and how it compares to Reynolds 853?

Thanks for your insight!
    Reynolds 853 is an air-hardened, triple butted steel alloy with impressive strength properties. Itís a high quality tubeset but unfortunately somewhat limited in diameters, wall thicknesses and butting profiles, which in some applications and frame sizes, can limit a framebuilderís design options when seeking to optimize stiffness and weight.

For the P-29 and SwissCross, we considered several standard tubing suppliers like Reynolds but instead chose to develop our own heat-treated, seamless triple-butted steel alloy to the precise wall thicknesses, tubing diameters and butting profiles, specifically designed for TIG welding. Tom Ritchey has a long history of tubing development and he found this was the best way to achieve the ride quality, weight, durability and price he intended for these frames.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Any plans for a P29 with standard, fixed dropouts?
    We've talked about it but have been generally pretty happy with the current configuration and it's versatility. It's a subject of ongoing debate and we might come around with something as our success in frames grows.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchey_dave View Post
    We've talked about it but have been generally pretty happy with the current configuration and it's versatility. It's a subject of ongoing debate and we might come around with something as our success in frames grows.
    Make one with fixed dropouts and a 44mm headtube, and I'd be all over that mess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member

Finally Complete

Thanks Tom, it was worth the wait for this frame

And thanks for the advice and communication Ritchey Dave.

Looking forward to a long relationship with this one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ritchey 29er-r1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post

Wow, that is such a sweet SS ride. I might have to build one up.

BTW, is your front tire mounted backwards?

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post

Love those blinglespeeds!
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    BTW, is your front tire mounted backwards?
    You made me to go check, the tread certainly makes you think so but no I did install it correctly (surprisingly in my sleep deprived state!!).

If it was on backwards I was going to reverse the tyres on my other bikes as the traction was superb!

mtbr member

mtbr member

wowwww

Just love that frame so bad!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How stiff is the P-29 during peddaling? And has anyone ridden one on step technical descents? Some say it's a "racey" layout but the 70 degree HA seems like it might do well on rocky steeps? Anyone have any experience riding it on those types of trails? I'm in So Cal and we have a lot of those. Thanks.

ride
    I've got several hundred miles on my P-29er so far in the Rocky Mountains. It's been a fantastic bike. Laterally stiff, but still pretty comfy. I wouldn't exactly say that this bike is made for steep and tech descents, but it's damn capable for the xc bike that it is. That said, I just raced the B68 in Breckenridge this past weekend on the Ritchey. Despite my slow climbing and mid pack finish, I did not once get passed on a descent. In fact, that's about the only place I did any passing I played around with cockpit setup quite a bit to get this bike to my liking. Once I got 'er dialed in, the thing rocks! I'd feel comfortable taking it down anything we've got in our area, and there's plenty of steep and tech gnarly around these parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ritchey 29er-2012-07-16_12-37-52_991.jpg  

Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi Ritchey Dave - I have a quick question,

Have just seen some pics of the new P-275 (bikerumor website... prototype?) and it looks truly fantastic! I want to eventually pull the trigger on a P-29 but the thing that immediately struck me about the P-275 is the curve added to the seatstays - It looks beautiful, seems like it could add a little compliance, simplify the frame and reduce weight a bit. All good points for those of us who want a sweet steel hardtail and don't plan to ever go SS. The article suggested this was done based on the majority of P-29 buyers using gears but I've seen your comment above from earlier this year suggesting that Ritchey may not go that direction.

Any movement from that position? Would absolutely love to see that design worked into the P-29 & that would definitely seal the deal for me.

Thanks!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck D View Post

Have just seen some pics of the new P-275 (bikerumor website... prototype?) and it looks truly fantastic! I want to eventually pull the trigger on a P-29 but the thing that immediately struck me about the P-275 is the curve added to the seatstays - It looks beautiful, seems like it could add a little compliance, simplify the frame and reduce weight a bit. All good points for those of us who want a sweet steel hardtail and don't plan to ever go SS. The article suggested this was done based on the majority of P-29 buyers using gears but I've seen your comment above from earlier this year suggesting that Ritchey may not go that direction.

Any movement from that position? Would absolutely love to see that design worked into the P-29 & that would definitely seal the deal for me.

Thanks!
    The article states that the seatstay bend is to clear the brake caliper.
    Ritchey Unveils P-275 Steel Hardtail w/ New 650B Wheels, Tires to Match - Bike Rumor
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    The article states that the seatstay bend is to clear the brake caliper.
    Either way, it's an elegant solution.

Good to see Ritchey making a few stunning MTB frames! Keep 'em coming!

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck D View Post

Thanks!
    Great question.

The P-29er received slider dropouts due to the already-strong popularity of singlespeed 29erís in the market. However the slider dropouts do bring a weight penalty, and for the 650B we wanted to cut some of that weight since some of our P-29er customers had already voiced a desire to have non-slider drops on that model. Itís tough to make everyone happy and weíre sorry we canít offer both frames in both options!

There's no plans to change the P-29er at the moment, but that doesn't mean we never will.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Understood, and thanks for the info Dave!

Amabubpensie
    Can't wait for the P-275 to arrive in South Africa. That said, I love my P-29er
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ritchey 29er-img_1388.jpg  

New Ritchey 29er-ritcheyp29er.jpg  

mtbr member
    Cyclesport has the p29er on sale for $699!. Wish i had the patience to have waited until now. Otherwise kudos to you buyers. This is a great deal on a great bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

AM 29er

upgrade with 120 mm Manitou Minute fork 50 mm stem... work very well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ritchey 29er-76.jpg  

Leg Shaver
    I may have missed this question already but how does one fit the tapered steer forks on this bike now? It is increasingly difficult to find new straight steerer forks
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So, I have a question for the Ritchey Owners and/or Ritchey Dave, what's the bottom bracket height on the p29er and P275 frames? Alas, the geometry chart on the Ritchey website doesn't list one. Kind of curious how these fair in rooty rocky conditions.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mojopin View Post
    So, I have a question for the Ritchey Owners and/or Ritchey Dave, what's the bottom bracket height on the p29er and P275 frames? Alas, the geometry chart on the Ritchey website doesn't list one. Kind of curious how these fair in rooty rocky conditions.
    A 19" P-29er, with a 100mm travel fork and 2.1 tires, has a BB height of 320mm. Once we get our P650B unpacked from Interbike I'll let you know what the height is on that.
    Dave Law

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast