mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Selling my beloved Ritchey P29er! PM me if interested

New Ritchey 29er-img_1948.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

My Build

Cant say how much I love this enough!New Ritchey 29er-ritchey1.jpg

After lots of searching I have found my best fit and ride!!

mtbr member
    I have a P-29er RWB frame for sale in the classifieds:

Ritchey P-29er Frame - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hi folks. I am considering to purchase a P-29er. However, the current 2016 model one the Ritchey's web does not look like it has thru axle on the rear. If this is correct, it's the only thing that's holding me back since I tend to use my bicycle for a long time. Ritchey_Dave, maybe you chime in on this matter? Thanks!

Edit. Just saw posting that Ritchey_Dave is no longer with Ritchey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by sinhere View Post
    Hi folks. I am considering to purchase a P-29er. However, the current 2016 model one the Ritchey's web does not look like it has thru axle on the rear. If this is correct, it's the only thing that's holding me back since I tend to use my bicycle for a long time. Ritchey_Dave, maybe you chime in on this matter? Thanks!

FWIW, I ride the older QR 9mm version and enjoy the "liveliness" of the rear triangle. Not sure if that would stiffen up too much with the thru-axle. Anyone ride both versions?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by michigan_kr View Post
    FWIW, I ride the older QR 9mm version and enjoy the "liveliness" of the rear triangle. Not sure if that would stiffen up too much with the thru-axle. Anyone ride both versions?
    That's an interesting point. I see that Ritchey has implemented the thru-axle with the Timberwolf. Wondering if they didn't go this route with the P-29er because of the stiffness issue. Would love to hear from others and their experience with thru-axle and rear triangle stiffness.

Ritchey Design Rep

Howdy,
    I'm Nyk AKA The Ritchey Guy
    The P-29er does not have a Thru-axle in the rear. The Timberwolf does as it is designed to get a bit "rowdier" than either the P-29er and P-650b. Since it is intended for XC it makes the bike lighter and faster. Also because it is steel it is more compliant and it makes little sense to stiffen it up there.
    Cheers
    Nyk
    Ritchey Design Representative

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchey_Guy View Post
    Howdy,
    I'm Nyk AKA The Ritchey Guy
    The P-29er does not have a Thru-axle in the rear. The Timberwolf does as it is designed to get a bit "rowdier" than either the P-29er and P-650b. Since it is intended for XC it makes the bike lighter and faster. Also because it is steel it is more compliant and it makes little sense to stiffen it up there.
    Cheers
    Thanks Nyk! That's the answer I have been looking for. With all the crazy, fast development of the thru-axle, I felt that Tom Ritchey would probably have his reasons in keeping the QR on his line some of his bikes.

Would you or anyone here be able to give me some guidance in terms of the right size? My measurements are:

Height 180cm
    Inseam 87cm
    Torso 61cm
    Individual arm length 63cm
    Weight 68 kg

I have read on some postings here that you need to size down when going to a 29" bike and that the top tube length is one to look out for. Would the 17" be the right size for me?

Also, would you know the wheelbase measurement? I don't see it in the frame geometry chart.

Many thanks!

Ritchey Design Rep
    Thanks Nyk! That's the answer I have been looking for. With all the crazy, fast development of the thru-axle, I felt that Tom Ritchey would probably have his reasons in keeping the QR on his line some of his bikes.

Would you or anyone here be able to give me some guidance in terms of the right size? My measurements are:

Height 180cm
    Inseam 87cm
    Torso 61cm
    Individual arm length 63cm
    Weight 68 kg

I have read on some postings here that you need to size down when going to a 29" bike and that the top tube length is one to look out for. Would the 17" be the right size for me?

Also, would you know the wheelbase measurement? I don't see it in the frame geometry chart.

Many thanks!
    I can't speak to which size you should get, I would find a shop who has a good fitter and go ask them some questions. I don't have the wheelbase currently but I asked the people who know such things and I can get that to you.
    Thanks
    Nyk

Ritchey Design Rep
    Here are the wheel bases for our complete P-29er including sag.

15"= 1088mm 17" = 1098 19" = 1119 21" = 1140

Obviously if you bring different wheels/forks in to the mix you will get different dimensions.

Cheers
    Nyk

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Here are the wheel bases for our complete P-29er including sag.

15"= 1088mm 17" = 1098 19" = 1119 21" = 1140

Obviously if you bring different wheels/forks in to the mix you will get different dimensions.

Cheers
    This helps, thanks! I've just checked on the Ritchey's website and the 17" frame is no longer listed. Is it going to be in stock anytime soon?

Ritchey Design Rep
    This helps, thanks! I've just checked on the Ritchey's website and the 17" frame is no longer listed. Is it going to be in stock anytime soon?
    We have stock now and the website has been updating.
    Cheers
    Nyk

mtbr member
    May 2016
    We have stock now and the website has been updating.
    Cheers
    Sweet. Thanks!

Stephen
    Hi guys, Nyk aka Ritchie Guy, knows about this but has anyone else put XTR di2 on their P29? We think we have it sorted but never get too cocky!!! The order goes in Monday although the distributors here will have to order it in as there is limited stock of P29s. I'm tossing up between 19-21 frames. I'm 190cm and its for brevets not hard out mtbing. It's always fun getting the bits and deciding what to use. Cheers, Stephen.

Stephen
    Well you lot are boring!!! Lol. In case anyone is interested, the frame is ordered(1 month wait) XTR is ordered( flagged the di2), Lauf fork ordered and paid for, 1 wheel built one to go, brooks seat here and jones bars next. It'll be an interesting build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Himself View Post
    Well you lot are boring!!! Lol. In case anyone is interested, the frame is ordered(1 month wait) XTR is ordered( flagged the di2), Lauf fork ordered and paid for, 1 wheel built one to go, brooks seat here and jones bars next. It'll be an interesting build.
    Let's see that new bike!

Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Let's see that new bike!
    It's a pile of pieces still. The frame is due in New Zealamd in 2 weeks, everything else should be here by then so the actual build will be quick. Photos will go up.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456