Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by elsewhere
    I'm sure the Taiwanese tig masters can put the bike together to ride nicely based on the ritchey design. I guess what I was trying to say is the thought of having a sweet geo bike assembled by Mr. Ritchey himself produced here in the states would have been my main drive to purchase.
    It would surprise me if a decent welder/ frame builder here in the US couldn't mimic the geometry of the ritchey design in ti.
    That would rate higher in my book than the frame in question.
    Ritchey design touched by Ritchey is a Ritchey.
    Other than that its just another well designed bike assembled by a mystery man overseas.
    Am I justified?
    That seems like a reasonable place to come from. For myself, it really is not that important. For one, I am not a custom frame guy in budget or needs, so it would just be a pretty esoteric reason to have one. I have had several hand brazed steel frames in days gone by and it is just a bike in a practical sense. Emotionally? Depends.

So since it is likely that, if I am riding steel at all, I will be riding mass produced or at least overseas sourced, TIG'd steel frames for some time to come...in your words " just another well designed bike assembled by a mystery man overseas".....then I would just as soon ride something that says Ritchey on it that was designed and spec'd by a master frame builder. For me, that promises to blend a lower price tag with a high performing bike while feeding the emotional part of me too. Winner. Now if it is just a decal and Tom really had little to say about it, then I agree that it would mean pretty much nothing.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Ride.
    Jan 2011
    The P-29er is absolutely gorgeous. I like the swiss cross very much as well. Ritchey pulled out the stops for 2011.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E.
    Too bad the P-29 won't have the hands of the master on it, however, if it's a handmade steel frame that one wants, then I'm sure Chris DeKerf would weld one up for ya'.
    DeKerf?
    Aren't they in Canada?

I miss soft tails.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 02-27-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, I think it's pretty obvious T. Ritchey got the inspiration to do a 29er frame w/horizontal dropouts from me.

To wit, my old P-21 w/Sub-11 fork ends:

and my Quiring 29er:

Scott (Quiring) did the P-21 conversion for me many,many years ago, then built me the 29er frame two years ago. I got the Dupont paint codes from the Ritchey site, and Scott went to work duplicating a classic Ritchey fade. It's an homage, if you will, to one of my all-time favorite bikes and definitely my all-time favorite paint scheme (guess it's obvious which paint job I vote for on the P-29er).

Great to see Ritchey bringing back some one-piece (i.e., non-Break Away) frames, and especially a mountain frame. Be curious to see geometry specs, when they become available.

Big wheels keep on rollin

wowee.

just found this thread. I too have longed to ride a Ritchey. Even with the overseas build, I will strongly consider the new 29er. My vote, though, would be for a paint scheme a little more classic, like white panels. The only real question now is geometry, I would prefer a more stable bike with longish stays and less steep angles. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    It's still pretty LAME that Ritchey chose the North American Handmade Bike Show to launch their Taiwanese made frames.

I know that Tom made these particular frames himself, but c'mon? I'm kinda surprised that Don Walker let them do it.

mtbr member
    I can't see any point to this headtube/headset arrangement... is there one?

The only claimed advantages of an integrated headset that make any sort of sense are more weld area for big tubs (not applicable here), allows a lower headset (also N/A here), and maybe microscopically lighter (on a 5.4 pound bike)? Ritchey was known for clever design ideas, but I can't see this as one of them.

I guess on a steel bike this looks less stupid than a grossly oversized head tube (those make the top tube look like a broomstick poking a beer can) but that's the only advantage I can see for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Owly Images
    Brazed!

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    So you can confirm they are fillet bikes? Who is producing them?
    From what I gather in circles Tom still builds custom frames for friends. His custom work is fillet braze. The probability that the frames pictured here are Braze is high considering they are at the handmade bike show. However the production frames will be TIG.

from what I read he has not decided on the paint for the 29er and wants input from customers. feel free to email ritchey your preference.

What do you think? Retro Fade or Modern block paint as seen in the side by side above? My first impression was fade but the more I look the more I like the block on the SS version in that pic

Although it may have been mentioned above and I have not read all this thread, I notice the new Swiss Cross will not have curved stays..
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    That seems like a reasonable place to come from. For myself, it really is not that important. For one, I am not a custom frame guy in budget or needs, so it would just be a pretty esoteric reason to have one. I have had several hand brazed steel frames in days gone by and it is just a bike in a practical sense. Emotionally? Depends.

So since it is likely that, if I am riding steel at all, I will be riding mass produced or at least overseas sourced, TIG'd steel frames for some time to come...in your words " just another well designed bike assembled by a mystery man overseas".....then I would just as soon ride something that says Ritchey on it that was designed and spec'd by a master frame builder. For me, that promises to blend a lower price tag with a high performing bike while feeding the emotional part of me too. Winner. Now if it is just a decal and Tom really had little to say about it, then I agree that it would mean pretty much nothing.

Would really like to look at Ricthie for a first cross bike (first steel bike, for that matter).

Plus 1 for the fade paint as well.

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    I can't see any point to this headtube/headset arrangement... is there one?

The only claimed advantages of an integrated headset that make any sort of sense are more weld area for big tubs (not applicable here), allows a lower headset (also N/A here), and maybe microscopically lighter (on a 5.4 pound bike)? Ritchey was known for clever design ideas, but I can't see this as one of them.

I guess on a steel bike this looks less stupid than a grossly oversized head tube (those make the top tube look like a broomstick poking a beer can) but that's the only advantage I can see for it.

there is a good chance it has to do with a theory he might have regarding steel welds at that joint... but I am guessing

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by swisscross
    Will be the P-29er

Pics are from about a week ago prior to NAHBS.
    I was asked to keep it quite by the guys at Ritchey.
    TR appears to be bringing back the SwissCross too.

These are my Ritcheys (Chicane and 2 SwissCross's)and as much as I want a Plexus (maybe one day have one) but I really want my main mtb to be more modern.

I love plexus stays!

I will have more info on the new offerings Monday. Price point and availablity.
    great pics.
    Is that a 100mm fork?

what is the word on which paint they will go with for production? the retro fade in your shot or the block type on the SS?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I only wish you could order any paint scheme.
    I want a salmon one.

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Seriously? Wow. Happy to be wrong in some ways, but I bet these will be $$ frames then.
    Still very nice.

Ahhh...wait a minute...those pics of the brazed seat tube junction do not match the NAHMBS shots at all...cable guides, pinch bolt, etc. I think maybe there is an error here.

that looks more like the Swiss Cross fastback design in that post that you are referring too not the 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones
    It's still pretty LAME that Ritchey chose the North American Handmade Bike Show to launch their Taiwanese made frames.

I know that Tom made these particular frames himself, but c'mon? I'm kinda surprised that Don Walker let them do it.
    I don't think Don Walker has the balls to tell Tom Ritchey that he couldn't launch his bikes in his show.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner
    great pics.
    Is that a 100mm fork?

what is the word on which paint they will go with for production? the retro fade in your shot or the block type on the SS?
    I talked to Tom a bit, and they're still undecided on the final paint, but the general consensus at the show was to go fade.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Leg Shaver

here we go with name dropping and chest beating all in the name of segregating the industry

so in the know you

mtbr member
    here we go with name dropping and chest beating all in the name of segregating the industry

so in the know you
    I'm not in the know at all. The info has been posted here and a bunch of other sites.

How many times do you think the Ritchey people at the booth had to explain to excited folks that the bikes they were looking at were only for "family and friends" (their words not mine) and that the real frames would be from overseas and TIG welded?

I bet alot of people were disappointed in that answer considering they were at the North American Handmade Bike Show.

Leg Shaver
    I'm not in the know at all. The info has been posted here and a bunch of other sites.

How many times do you think the Ritchey people at the booth had to explain to excited folks that the bikes they were looking at were only for "family and friends" (their words not mine) and that the real frames would be from overseas and TIG welded?

I bet alot of people were disappointed in that answer considering they were at the North American Handmade Bike Show.
    How many times do you think they have to explain to MTBR posters that this is indeed a business.

mtbr member
    How many times do you think they have to explain to MTBR posters that this is indeed a business.
    And since this is a business we're going to disregard the reason for having this particular bike show in the first place?

Sea Otter would have been a more appropriate venue to launch these frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    And since this is a business we're going to disregard the reason for having this particular bike show in the first place?

I would agree if the entire line was going to be built over seas.
    My understanding is that Tom is considering doing a limited number of brazed frames for the general market.
    Very similar to the late 80's early 90's when you could order a TR brazed one for an upcharge.

If this idea/plan does fall through I am in complete agreement.

Leg Shaver

you live in this moral illusion that there is some sort of standard here. yours perhaps?

you don't think Tom ritchey has the right to put his bikes anywhere he damn well pleases and the show organizers don't feel the same? Don't compare him to Gary fisher. This is no sell out

bottom line. Ritchey still makes bikes by hand, theses frames at the show were hand brazed. the fact that he will make them affordable to the market place with out compromise to performance is worthy and in my humble opinion all the more reason to put them in there at the show. since you are in the business of reading into things allow me to do the same: it is perfectly appropriate for them to be there because the bike will be ridden and not hanging in a shop or your garage to look at. perhaps it is a statement

handmade bike shows are for expanding technology into the industry as much as they are a museum of bikes that will never be sold

get over it

mtbr member
    you live in this moral illusion that there is some sort of standard here. yours perhaps?

you don't think Tom ritchey has the right to put his bikes anywhere he damn well pleases and the show organizers don't feel the same? Don't compare him to Gary fisher. This is no sell out

bottom line. Ritchey still makes bikes by hand, theses frames at the show were hand brazed. the fact that he will make them affordable to the market place with out compromise to performance is worthy and in my humble opinion all the more reason to put them in there at the show. since you are in the business of reading into things allow me to do the same: it is perfectly appropriate for them to be there because the bike will be ridden and not hanging in a shop or your garage to look at. perhaps it is a statement

handmade bike shows are for expanding technology into the industry as much as they are a museum of bikes that will never be sold

get over it
    Moral illusion? My standards? Reading into things?

Re-read some of your own posts.

I have a right to my opinion too. A bunch of people agree with me both here and elsewhere, but you seem to have only picked my posts to respond to.

So no, I will not "get over it".

What I will get over is this thread.

hispanic mechanic
    While I'm bummed that these production frames took attention away from some of the builders, I still want one. And I think that Ritchey's presence there may have been more as a component supplier.
    It was nice to see some of his handiwork again, even if it's not available.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

highly visible
    Looks like an awesome bike. The only seriously embarrassing thing about it is that it doesn't have Ritchey tires on it.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Looks like an awesome bike. The only seriously embarrassing thing about it is that it doesn't have Ritchey tires on it.
    it kinda does, since Syncros is a division of Ritchey

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast