Ritchey Design Rep

The New Revolutionary Syncros FRIC stem

Just got in our first batch of the all new Syncros FRIC™ stems and they are sweet!

The FRIC™ Stem brings an all-new design to the stem world---Intelligent Clamp™. By wrapping a full 260 degrees around the bar, bolt and handlebar stress is more evenly dissipated, so the stem can get lighter while remaining bombproof. You can still install most oversized bars without removing the controls by sliding it in at the thinner section.

The steer tube bolts have also been moved to the center to increase clearance. The body is 2D forged in a unique assembly process currently only employed by Syncros, which is a key element to the design as a similar CNC’ed stem at this weight and shape would not be strong enough to pass CEN testing.

-Patented Intelligent Clamp™ Design---260 degree bar clamp reduces bar and bolt stress and increases fatigue strength

-Centered steer tube slot for increased bolt clearance and reduced weight.

-Cold forged construction for an incredible strength-to-weight ratio

-124 grams / 45mm extension

MSRP:
    $79.95 (Black)
    $89.95 (White)
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

AZ
    banned
    Like it, are there other sizes and rises in the que?

Ritchey Design Rep
    Yeah, we're looking into it but because of the design it makes it a little difficult to add lengths. It's possible but there's nothing in stone yet.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks pretty good, I think getting to those lower faceplate bolts is going to be a PITA compared to having 4 bolts on front.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Will this stem work well with Enve DH bars?

Ritchey Design Rep
    We haven't tested them on that particular bar, but judging by how mellow the transition is in that bar, it should fit.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchey_dave View Post
    We haven't tested them on that particular bar, but judging by how mellow the transition is in that bar, it should fit.
    Great thanks. Only thing that may be an issue is the bar clamp grip material used by enve. I'm interested in this stem but I can't find it in white? I'm assuming more distributers will have stems, both colors in stock soon?

Ritchey Design Rep
    The Syncros brand is as of lately under new ownership and I unfortunately don't have the information anymore to really help you track down a white one. We used to sell them to the distributor BTI. If you can find a shop that has an account with them, and if they still have them in stock, they could probably special order one for you.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Syncros Cattleprod / Ritchey WCS Pro Bar Combo not working well....

Just got in our first batch of the all new Syncros FRIC™ stems and they are sweet!

The FRIC™ Stem brings an all-new design to the stem world---Intelligent Clamp™. By wrapping a full 260 degrees around the bar, bolt and handlebar stress is more evenly dissipated, so the stem can get lighter while remaining bombproof. You can still install most oversized bars without removing the controls by sliding it in at the thinner section.

The steer tube bolts have also been moved to the center to increase clearance. The body is 2D forged in a unique assembly process currently only employed by Syncros, which is a key element to the design as a similar CNC’ed stem at this weight and shape would not be strong enough to pass CEN testing.

-Patented Intelligent Clamp™ Design---260 degree bar clamp reduces bar and bolt stress and increases fatigue strength

-Centered steer tube slot for increased bolt clearance and reduced weight.

-Cold forged construction for an incredible strength-to-weight ratio

-124 grams / 45mm extension
    Hi Dave

I wonder if I can ask a quick question?

I've just been upgrading my retro gem from my youth, as originally I had a Ritchey WCS Pro bar (gold), in a black Control Stem.

I'd always had Syncros forks and seatpost and had been on the look out for a good cattleprod stem as I couldn't afford one at the time - just laid my hands on a beaut and swapped them over.

The issue or concern that I have, is that the bar doesn't feel like a really secure fit in the stem. When the bike is just on the ground and your standing over it wiggling it, it feels fine - but when you're riding it, it feels like there is some torsional flex in the bar which shouldn't there and am 100% certain isn't there when the Ritchey bar is fitted in the Control Stem.

Have I missed something? Is the Syncros stem / Ritchey bar incompatible?

I've just laid my hands on some short stubbie original Onza bar-ends to complete the bike, but because of the flex that I'm experiencing have refrained from fitting them yet as I don't want to add additional torsional stress! What d'ya reckon?

Many thanks indeed for any reply....

RD

Ritchey Design Rep
    Hmm, that's odd. The Cattleprod stem is before my time so I'm not too familiar with it. However if the dimensions are correct (25.4 bar, 25.4 stem, which at the time was the standard) everything should be compatible. Make sure there're no cracks or fractures, as that could cause things to seem flexy. Other than that, it may just be the characteristics of that particular bar and stem combination.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hmm, that's odd. The Cattleprod stem is before my time so I'm not too familiar with it. However if the dimensions are correct (25.4 bar, 25.4 stem, which at the time was the standard) everything should be compatible. Make sure there're no cracks or fractures, as that could cause things to seem flexy. Other than that, it may just be the characteristics of that particular bar and stem combination.
    Hi Dave

Thanks very much for replying - I don't know if the attached couple of pics assist at all? The one thing I'm concerned about is if the damm combo is gonna snap under the torque flex that I'm likely to give it!

How can I go a bit further to check whether this is all going to be ok and survive - last thing I want is for the damn bar/stem combo to give as I'm hurtling downhill somewhere.....

I haven't quite worked out how to attach the pic to this actual post, but I have managed to upload them successfully to a new album I've just created...

Ritchey Design Rep
    At this point those parts are old enough that they're beyond any kind of warranty protection, and if you're feeling uneasy on them then I wouldn't take your gut feelings lightly. Believe me, I like my bikes to have everything matching and looking dialed, but not at the expense of a possible failure.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    At this point those parts are old enough that they're beyond any kind of warranty protection, and if you're feeling uneasy on them then I wouldn't take your gut feelings lightly. Believe me, I like my bikes to have everything matching and looking dialed, but not at the expense of a possible failure.
    Hi Dave

Was certainly never considering anything warranty related - these parts are vintage circa 1991/2!!

Was just trying to work out whether, from a Ritchey point of view, whether this bar should be associated with this particular stem, or perhaps from a Syncros point of view, whether certain bars "don't work" with that stem.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Yeah, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues. I'm just concerned given the amount of flex you're reporting from the setup.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Fric+enve bars

Anyone know if it will fit?

Ritchey Design Rep
    Depends, higher rise bars (greater than 20mm) have not been known to fit too well.
    Dave Law

meow, meow.
    Last week I replaced a Syntace f109 60 mm stem with (white painted) Syncros FRIC, did 2 rides on the new setup. Other components involved are:

Schmolke DH low riser, width 680 mm.
    TNN Engineering stem cap, machined from aluminum, very light and flexy.
    Aluminum headset preload bolt.
    Hope Head Doctor expansion plug.
    Manitou Minute MRD fork.

I ran the f109 for about 2 years, with its Litecap (heavier than TNN and forged); steerer clamp bolts were replaced with steel ones. Tried greasing the steerer, and de-greasing it. But most if the time I had to loosen steerer clamp bolts and tighten them again after every ride, because f109 kept crawling up the steerer, flexing the cap and causing headset play.

With the FRIC stem, everything is rock solid.
    I used carbon assembly compound to fit the handlebar.
    I also faced the bottom of the stem so that it presses evenly on the headset.

Weight of the stem, 123 g, as claimed.

I have only had 2 small, tiny, negligible issues with the new stem:

1. The sunken SYNCROS logo is painted over with some black paint that is soluble by isopropyl alcohol.

2. The 2 lower handlebar clamp bolts are located so that I could not access them with the Park Tool TW-1 torque wrench carrying a 4 mm hex bit via 1/4" square to hex adapter.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Hi Ritchey_Dave, and anyone who has a FRIC stem:
    I seem to be getting a creaking sound coming from my FRIC stem in conjunction with my (older) Fox 40. It was REALLY bad/loud at one point, and as a result I took the stem and upper crown off and greased EVERY possible surface (the upper part of the stancions, the upper crown, the steerer tube, the FRIC stem, etc), and then re-assembled. The noise initially went away, and then came back (but to a much lesser extent) after a hard day of riding at a bike park (Northstar). Is anyone else is having this problem? I did not have this issue with my old Havoc stem... Thanks,
    -S