Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Nevegal 2.1 Vs Syncros Point 'n Chute Vs. High Roller

OK, I have these three choices for a front tire to replace my boat anchor Gazzaloddi:

Nevegal 2.1 ( since Kendas run big, will it be close to a 2.3?)

Syncros Point n' Chute 2.35 (weakness: folding bead, but better for 4X)

Maxxis High Roller 2.35 any compound ( the people's champ, but finding one a pain)

what would you choose, or any suggestions?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    high roller

mtbr member
    I ran the 2.1 nevaegal with folding bead last season and only had one pinch flat.

mtbr member
    I run 2.35 Nevegals. I wouldn't consider them excessively wide. If you are looking at other tires in the 2.35 I wouldn't step down with the Nevegal. It is definately narrower than my WTB Timberwolf(2.4).
    I've replaced tires several times and the Nevegal makes a good all around tire. I only run it in the rear though. For myself I prefer something a little more knobby in the front.
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Nevegal 2.1 is a pretty honest 2.1 - I ride them on the XC bike. Great rubber, great tread.

I gotta pee
    Mountain bike action did a tire shootout 2 months ago. Look it up

moaaar shimz
    I'd run 2.5 Highrollers, great flat protection, awesome grip and the perfect size (like a 2.35-2.4 real)

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Tacubaya, I found 2.7 high rollers in my LBS, would that be OK enough or still too big?

And feedback on the Point' n' chute will be greatly appreciated.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My last bike came with 2.7 high rollers and they were stupidly heavy, binned them off for some 2.5 high rollers 42a and lost a reasonable amount of weight, never noticed the difference in grip really either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    OK, I have these three choices for a front tire to replace my boat anchor Gazzaloddi:

Maxxis High Roller 2.35 any compound ( the people's champ, but finding one a pain)
    I have a metric tonne of Maxxis 2.35 HRs in my garage. well maybe four.............
    Last edited by crazy Jim; 12-11-2008 at 07:45 AM.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    I have a metric tonne of Maxxis 2.35 HRs in my garage. well maybe four.............
    Well, in my country when people say "Maxxis", "Minion", or "High Roller" they get sold out in double-quick time. Heck, I found my Larsen TT 2.35 coz' of dumb luck.

So many tires to see, but Maxxis? you need the right timing at your LBS, because everyone's fighting for them.

mtbr member
    I found the Kenda Kinetics to be a bit better than the Nevegal. I have no experience with the others but a lot of peeps like the high roller.

7MGTE
    High Rollers

mtbr member
    I have used Nevegals in 2.35, Kinetics in 2.6, and now have Minions in 2.5 on. All are good but the Minions seem a lot heavier. Out of all three my favorite were the Kinetics in 2.6 but the Minions for pure DH are pretty tough to beat.
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2.1 sb8 for rear and 2.35 nevegal/high roller for front

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ran a rear syncros Point n' Chute on the rear this summer. It's very fast rolling due to low knobs but this also means it's shite in wet conditions. I rode everything from XC to FR on it and it hooked up well in the dry.

Usually run 2.35 stick-e or DC nevegals and they're great for all around riding, but obviously with the more aggressive treads they're slower.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Minion 2.35 front never lets up and i am trying it with a holy roller rear, nice and fast. No Maxxis available in Korea so rolling with what I gotz. Will have to try Kenda nevagals unless I can have someone bring in tires for me. Back to topic never run a high roller front but wicked on the rear.
    I just want to ride.

moaaar shimz
    Tacubaya, I found 2.7 high rollers in my LBS, would that be OK enough or still too big?

And feedback on the Point' n' chute will be greatly appreciated.
    I ran a 2.7 Highroller and it gripped great but it is definately too heavy.. (1450+ grams).

Glad to Be Alive
    personally i don't like the high roller in the front (in the back great) I feel it doesn't gribp good enough in the corners....I like the Minnion better for a front
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

D-G
    banned
    Nov 2008
    Stay away from Nevegals...bad bad tires....really bad traction. I've run them in mud, sluff, hard pack, all terrain, never good traction. Don't listen to MBA, they get large advertsing $$ to give them the ratings they do.

Maxxis rules, been running different tires for the past 4 years, again all different terrain...Amazing traction... The high roller in rear/minion front great combo... but lately the ones that kicks all ass are Mobsters front and rear. Traction amazing...deeps sluff to mud, and of course hard pack...these tires haved saved me many times from going over, and not one flat in the 4 years running. I like to run my PSI 25-30 rear 20-28-front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by D-G
    Stay away from Nevegals...bad bad tires....really bad traction. I've run them in mud, sluff, hard pack, all terrain, never good traction. Don't listen to MBA, they get large advertsing $$ to give them the ratings they do.
    I've found the exact opposite. The neve's hook up really well, I've been impressed with their wet grip. The Stick-E rubber is good stuff. They are a choice tire among many riders in the area.

...so, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy
    I've found the exact opposite. The neve's hook up really well, I've been impressed with their wet grip. The Stick-E rubber is good stuff. They are a choice tire among many riders in the area.

...so, different strokes for different folks I suppose.
    Nevegals have a love it or hate it following, at least up here on the north shore. I ride them on the north shore in the nastiest of conditions and the stick-e compound is great. The Dual Compound not so much in the wet. I run 2.5 wire bead on my freeride bike and 2.35 folding on my AM bike. I even had 2.1's on it to start and was really surprised how well they performed in the rough stuff (if you want a bit more info on my thoughts check out the review I co-wrote on the Fluid LT for nsmb.com http://dev.nsmb.com/page/s/2607 ).

mtbr member
    The only real problem that I've had with Nevegals is that they roll really slow. But once you're up to speed that doesn't really matter too much.

Personally if you're thinking about the high roller, consider the Chunder from Specialized as well, they're about a billion times better to the billionth power.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    The Chunder?! I used to have one of those... traded it to a Holy Roller because it won't fit on my frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, in my country when people say "Maxxis", "Minion", or "High Roller" they get sold out in double-quick time. Heck, I found my Larsen TT 2.35 coz' of dumb luck.

So many tires to see, but Maxxis? you need the right timing at your LBS, because everyone's fighting for them.

where do you live that maxxis are like hen's teeth??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast