mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. Mach5- Can I use a ritchey pro stem w monkeylite carbon bar?

I have a 2009 Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon Handlebar that I want to put on my Pivot mach5. The stem is currently a ritchey Pro stem. The 2 front brackets of the stem have areas of raised grid pattern for friction. I'm wondering if I can use this stem with the carbon bar. I ask because the directions for the bar go on and on about sanding down any burrs on any pieces (stem, shifters, brakes) that are bolted to the bar. So can I use this stem with a carbon bar? Should I switch stems to one that is smooth on the surface that touches the bar? Thanks for comments!

Ride and Smile suckas

MonkeyLite Carbon Bars

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
    I have a Monkeylite XC on my Mach 5 also. I didn't like the geometry of the bike with the 0degree stem on it, so I went with a Thompson Elite X4 and that combo seems to work great.
    The OE Ritchey stem does have that raised pattern on it that I don't think would damage the Carbon bars at all. Easton reinforces that area of the bar and its not like the 'ridges' are very deep so i don't think you will have a problem at all. If anything they would hold the carbon well and maybe scar it a little but you don't see that area ever unless you hang them on the wall when you are done riding them.
    ***One tip is never torque carbon bars more than the manufacturers specs say to.***
    I have a great little tool that Ritchey makes for applying correct torque on anything Carbon that is set to 5Nm (most of the manufacturers suggested). GREAT STOCKING STUFFER!

http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1...orque-key.aspx
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Thanks.

I also went with a thomson elite x4 100mm. It works great with the hi rise monkeylite bar. It shifted my weight back just enough so I dont feel like I'm going over the bars on descents anymore.