mtbr member
    Mar 2005

installing Ritchey WCS grips

what's the best method for installing the Ritchey WCS TruGrips? these will be going on a carbon bar, if that matters. for some reason, I've never been able to get any non-lock on grip to stay put. I hate twisting grips!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i use ladies hairspray in a can just spray a litle on the bars then slide in to position an hour or to later the hairspray dries and the grips ar stuck solid.hope that helps

mtbr member
    That or a clear fuel. I think i used methylated spirits. It slides on, then evaporates, Ive had no probs with slipping grips since

mtbr member
    To easy put on any grips You can use soap-water. After drying it's keep grips well, but sometimes not. Then use a hairspray.

I love Pisgah
    Air compressor, if you have one. Just start the grip over the bar..slide the blow nozzle under the end alittle while pushing it on..Presto!, its on in seconds. No soap, water, glue, scredrivers, etc. Works also for any grip installation. They'll shoot off across the garage when taking grips off.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crankmeister
    i use ladies hairspray in a can just spray a litle on the bars then slide in to position an hour or to later the hairspray dries and the grips ar stuck solid.hope that helps
    +1

Works well for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    WCS grip have a nice tight fit. Never turned for me on a carbon or alu bar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    $10 for foam? Jewiz

I love Pisgah
    Its actually neoprene, being not foam at all. Much much more confortable too.

I hated foam Rinds. I'll eat the extra 25gms.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Ride Everything
    Rubbing alcohol on the bar and inside the grips worked for me.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vortrex
    what's the best method for installing the Ritchey WCS TruGrips? these will be going on a carbon bar, if that matters. for some reason, I've never been able to get any non-lock on grip to stay put. I hate twisting grips!
    I always used hair spray, but recently used one of those hand sanitizer gels because I didn't have hair spray. The grips slid on easy and were able to move around some for the next few minute. The IPA evaporates soon and the grips haven't moved since.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Hairspray to get them on, they’re easily the hardest grips to get on I’ve ever had to get on a bike so don’t try it with water. Once they’re on they’re one of the rare grips that shouldn’t move at all. There’s a new locking version for those who haven’t seen yet…

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Air compressor with a sharp bit on the end...always works for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nm_gunslinger
    I always used hair spray, but recently used one of those hand sanitizer gels because I didn't have hair spray. The grips slid on easy and were able to move around some for the next few minute. The IPA evaporates soon and the grips haven't moved since.
    I used hairspray - but I have a carbon bar. My grips are slipping and twisting. They've been on for a month - and still slip. Maybe its the carbon bar? It is very shinny.

mtbr member
    Just use hair gel as hairspray will dry before you can get em on. Let them sit overnight and you'll be fine.
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Just use hair gel since hairspray will dry before you can get em on. Let them sit overnight and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Droid !

How'd you do with the front mech stuff ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Droid !

How'd you do with the front mech stuff ??
    I have had absolutely no time to install the speen adapter with the DA front yet. I also have some powercordz to install at the same time. Maybe on sunday afternoon.

BTW, I'm using some Kona racelite foam grips now. about 20gms lighter than the wcs's and almost the same comfort and easier to put on my bars as well.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I air compressor them with the narrow nozzle on the end. On/off in seconds. WAY easier than rubbing alcohol or hairspray or what have you. It took me two friends and 2/3 of a bottle of rubbing alcohol to get a set of ESI foamies on but took me like 30 seconds for both sides with the air compressor.