mtbr member
    Jun 2009

ghetto tubeless with Ritchey Z Max Classic tires

Anyone have luck with this. I have a used Z Max that I cannot get to seat. My WTB tires seat right away.

Former Bike Wrench
    Maybe a little more info...like what rims, what tubeless system, are you using a compressor, do the Ritchey tires fit looser or tighter than the WTB's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have Vuelta XPR rims taped. 26", I do use a compressor with home made sealant. The Ritcheys feel snug going on the rim but just won't seat.

AZ
    banned
    How much pressure ? Tape in the bead seat ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just wanted to see if anyone was able to make that tire work tubeless. I know there was a thread listing a lot of combinations of tires and rims that worked but I could'nt find it.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've honestly haven't ever tried a Ritchey tubeless...come to think of it I haven't even run a Ritchey MTB tire in about ten years.

If you have removable valve cores, you might try that to get an extra air blast in there...other than that they might just be a bad candidate for tubeless.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Try adding some more base tape under the ghetto tube rimstrip. I found I had to do that to get RRs to seal on DT X470 rims even with the notubes rimstrips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the replies. I think it is prob just not a good fit with my rim.

Biker72 the tire I have is pretty old I traded my neighbor for some stuff he had laying around. The tire has great traction when ran with a tube. But where I ride there's a lot of thorns and I hate patching tubes. I may just run it with a tube and carry lots of stick on patches.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontsight
    thanks for the replies. I think it is prob just not a good fit with my rim.

Biker72 the tire I have is pretty old I traded my neighbor for some stuff he had laying around. The tire has great traction when ran with a tube. But where I ride there's a lot of thorns and I hate patching tubes. I may just run it with a tube and carry lots of stick on patches.
    It's amazing that Ritchey was such a huge player in the tire market 10-15 years ago and now is barely a blip on the radar...I guess they'd rather sell components

parts leftover
    I got a non-UST Ritchey Z Max Millennium tire to seat tubeless onto a Mavic UST rim with just a regular pump. I threw in some Stan's for good measure, but there was definitely the characteristic UST "ping" when they seated.