Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LCW
    mtbr member
    I got a set of Easton Monkey Lite XC in low rise (20mm). Was expecting them at 660mm width. But they are 685mm. Wondering if that's something new? I don't mind the 685 since I have some 40mm rise bars of that width and I'm comfortable with it. Tricky in some tight spots but feel and leverage wise they are perfect.

Does Easton make the ML XC lo-rise in 660mm anymore?

Edit: the Monkey Lite XC Lo-Rise (20mm) 685mm bar weighed in at 179g
    Last edited by LCW; 09-22-2009 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Bars are little wider nowadays, the new trend with shorter steam to use. My Race Face Next LR came at 635 mm (2007/08). Now 660 will be great.

LCW
    mtbr member
    yeah - you're probably right... I'm not complaining, as I was a bit reluctant getting the lo-rise at 660mm, but when they showed up and were at 685mm I was stoked... now if only Easton would make their Monkey Lite SL bars in the wider sizes... as well as Race Face - their Next XC 3/4 is 685mm, but their SL 3/4 is 660mm...

once you go wide, you never go back... (i'm sure some will pipe in that do... )

bar installed... (came in at 179g btw)

mtbr member
    There must be some big folks out there. Ive got a Monkey lite @ 660mm and it's wide enough for me - im bigger than most too. 685mm would be too wide for me.

I wish Easton would make the EC90 in 660mm

LCW
    mtbr member
    I'm not big at all - although kind of stocky... I'm 5'6" and wear a 40 suit... I just found 685 is just a nice width... I grabbed a yard stick once with my eyes closed, and positioned my hands where it felt my arms and shoulders were comfortable in sort of a bike stance scenario - and my hands naturally fell near the 27" (685mm) mark... Not super scientific but made sense to me... So I looked for bars near that length...

I find wider bars allows for more open chest and better breathing... Great for climbing... Obviously different strokes for different folks I guess but I like 685mm for my own personal comfort, not because of hype... The first set of bars that came on the bike were 650mm... By no means narrow but they didn't feel super wide either... I'm sure if I had 660's, I'd get used to them and be fine... Gain a bit of clearance too... There's no magic number, since the human body is quite adaptable... But my primary choice is 685... Also allows the use of a slightly shorter stem (as your arms go out, your needed forward reach drops) which on my bike feels better, especially on the downhills and/or in the rough stuff...

Can't beat a wide bar for leverage and stability either

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    There must be some big folks out there. Ive got a Monkey lite @ 660mm and it's wide enough for me - im bigger than most too. 685mm would be too wide for me.

I wish Easton would make the EC90 in 660mm
    I replaced my Easton Monkey Lite SL 31.8.635mm @ 159 grams, with a Ritchey Superlogic carbon bar 31.8, 660mm @ 160 grams.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71
    I replaced my Easton Monkey Lite SL 31.8.635mm @ 159 grams, with a Ritchey Superlogic carbon bar 31.8, 660mm @ 160 grams.
    So the Monkey Lite SL in 31.8 comes in at 159g? Makes me rest a little easier... I thought it was supposed to be like 135-140g... My XC lo-rise @ 179g is only 20g heavier than the SL...

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just wanted to throw the Edge Composites bar into the mix as well. It's supposed to weight 175 at full length - 700mm. I didn't put mine on a scale so I'm not sure what they weighed, but they should be a little lighter when you cut it down to to size. I've been riding it for a couple of months and so far so good. I heard great things about their carbon rims which are too expensive for me, but I figured if they could make a carbon rim that could stand up to mountain use then they should be able to do it with bars as well. Word of warning - these bar are stiff. I went from Specialized carbon bars to the Edge bars and I really noticed an increase in stiffness which I was not expecting at all. Prior to using these bars I was pretty skeptical about the feel of different types of carbon bars, but I'm not any longer.

http://www.edgecomposites.com/product.asp?SKU=mb

mtbr member

Salsa?

I've had no prob's with my Easton ML XC for the past 3 years, but in building a new ride, am thinking about a Salsa Pro Moto Carbon Flat. I haven't seen real weights.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    So the Monkey Lite SL in 31.8 comes in at 159g? Makes me rest a little easier... I thought it was supposed to be like 135-140g... My XC lo-rise @ 179g is only 20g heavier than the SL...
    I can't 100% tell from the picture, but is your MonkeyLite XC LO a 31.8 bar? Thx...

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuonor
    I can't 100% tell from the picture, but is your MonkeyLite XC LO a 31.8 bar? Thx...
    Yes, my ML XC Lo-Rise is a 31.8 bar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Love the FSA K force carbon bar - lightest I believe, and very strong. The Richeys are great looking (pro carbon...sexy) but just too heavy. Had the monkeylight SL and loved it too, but I put some good gashes in it and worried it would snap. Great bar, can't go wrong with Easton.

Proud bike-o-holic
    IMO the silver clamp of the stem looks awful. I would change the stem for letīs say, a FSA or a Thomson

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I recently dismantled my 2009 Anthem, & built a new bike. I thought I'd get rid of my old Race Face 3/4 carbon bar as it had taken a few stacks over the years.

Before I threw it in the bin, I did my absolute best to break it by jumping on it. No matter what I did - it would not crack. Quite impressive really.

This non-scientific test didn't include an over tightened stem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2