Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Why is this thread still open? My authentic, 138g "fakes" has served me well for the past 2.5 years. But just in case they do break...I have a brand-new, REAL 121g Bontrager Race XXX Lite backup set.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Glad I found this thread, I was about to buy a superlogic seatpost.
    I think I bite the bullet and pay $$$ from ritchey driectly.

mtbr member

too risky

well guys - saving money on suspect handlebars that might fail catastrophically without anyone to sue...

Well, I call that too risky
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

SEA
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    just did a quick look over at ebay - sure are a lot of fake ones still for sale - these look fake based on clamp area:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/09-Ritchey-WCS-C...#ht_2011wt_939
    I bought from this seller this summer Ritchey WCS Marathon '09 saddle and everything was OK, except first time he send me some old Streem model...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    anyone bought from this seller?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

seems like many have bought it so far! Good so far? thinking of getting it. =)

mtbr member
    $58? I'm 200% sure it's a fake. The authentic bar costs about $135.

Most people leave positive feedback for these dishonest eBay sellers, because they can't tell they received a fake. They don't have an authentic Ritchey bar to compare it with the fake ones they get from these crooks.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a Ritchey WCS carbon flat bar from Universal Cycles. It looks exactly like the one that came with my GT Zaskar Team Carbon bicycle. This means Ritchey didn't change anything. The current bars still have the reinforcements for bar ends. Bars without them are fakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the reply!

I saw the pics of your 3mm thick bars. The ones at my lbs look closer to the ebay ones with regards to the wall thickness. Even the newer superlogic ones there do not have such thick walls.. anyone else can verify this with their lbs?

Thanks again. =)

mtbr member
    Be careful ! As I know from our LBS and some forums in Hong Kong. There are HUGH amount of fake Ritchey products (stem,seatpost.handlebar..)are selling in HK, China and Taiwan. Only 50US$ for a SET !!!

yorkshire mud monkey
    what about these guys for the bars, looks good and prices are not bad.
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

yorkshire mud monkey
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

metrotuned WoS
    @samcwy: As you can see in history of seller, "187 sold" --- 187, now there may be a reason to not buy one. Yikes! Anyways, that's 187 suckas who are riding with these things, to me that's a flooded fake market, and a fake is an original fake, if you're considering riding carbon bars, pull the trigger =)
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Why is ritchey the one copied to such an amount? No where near the quantity of other premium carbon bars on eBay, eg Easton?
    My understanding was that some of these bars are made at the same factory as original ritchey products but not sold via official distribution channels, pretty much out the back door. Same practice as happens with other luxury brands manufactured in far east such as handbags and trainers etc.
    Doesn't mean they are lesser quality but are definitely not official either.

I can't figure out why ritchey don't clamp down on this because if they are being sold and breaking, it's hurting their brand massively.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    @samcwy: As you can see in history of seller, "187 sold" --- 187, now there may be a reason to not buy one. Yikes! Anyways, that's 187 suckas who are riding with these things, to me that's a flooded fake market, and a fake is an original fake, if you're considering riding carbon bars, pull the trigger =)

^^^^^^ i second that. All i have to add is you get what you pay for and in my opinion i bought the real deal for the max performance one can expect from a carbon bar in terms of strength and weight and of course the bling factor.

mtbr member
    Well its been another year with my "fake" Ritchey bars and still haven't broken them. I would say that I put another 1,000 miles on them before pulling them off and running them on my commuter.

I bought another Ritchey WCS bar on Ebay and I bet this sees thousands of miles without issue. BTW 4 years ago I broke an aluminum handlebar at the stem clamp,so if anyone would/should be worried it should be me. I'm not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are the eBay Ritchey WCS Carbon Handlebars authentic?-img_4414.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well, another buyer of this Ritchey handlebar on ebay, but anyone can confirm this is a fake?

[IMG] [/IMG]

mtbr member
    My original Ritchey bars are sanded (and smooth) on the inside.

metrotuned WoS
    vikingboy: those are not back door or fell of the truck, purses and bags you see in the far east. Those are fakes through and through! Just like this WCS carbon ebay bar. It just goes to show that a carbon bar is not hard to copy or produce, silk screening a logo and scuffing up a clamp area is not innovation. And innovation is the only thing that will save Ritchey but how much development is going on with that company? It's been years these fakes have been on the market and the original bar hasn't changed design at all.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Fake ?

Hi,
    I just bought these bars from ebay from an ebay shop called Absolutecycles. They seem a legit shop so I wasn't worried. However my bars came in today and they look a bit like the fake ones in this thread ! There doesn't seem to be any metal reinforcement for bar ends , and the thickness doesn't seem to be even (you can see this in the third pic if you look closely . Also, the bars didn't come in Ritchey packaging.

This is the link :
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270586100044

these are the pics of my bars :

Any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by totemsub
    Hi,
    I just bought these bars from ebay from an ebay shop called Absolutecycles. They seem a legit shop so I wasn't worried. However my bars came in today and they look a bit like the fake ones in this thread ! There doesn't seem to be any metal reinforcement for bar ends , and the thickness doesn't seem to be even (you can see this in the third pic if you look closely . Also, the bars didn't come in Ritchey packaging.

This is the link :
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270586100044

these are the pics of my bars :

Any thoughts ?
    The authentic Ritchey bars actually have a thick, 3mm composite reinforcement to accommodate bar ends and brake levers. There is no reason why a reseller should keep the original packaging.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You think they're unsafe to ride then ? I only weigh 68 kgs so it shouldn't be a problem to try these out right ?

Quote Originally Posted by totemsub
    You think they're unsafe to ride then ? I only weigh 68 kgs so it shouldn't be a problem to try these out right ?
    I am 75kg and my fakes has been reliable(no bar ends used) for three straight seasons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    All right ! Do you think that lock-on grips would damage them ?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    i used my ODI lockons on my "fakes" too and no issues. I only just snugged them enough to prevent rotation though and YMMV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Let keep going with this, I recently bought some of these same bars off ebay for $55, from a seller with 0 feedback and only sold 2 other products. Sadly I think I got scammed but I do have a routing number.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I know this is an old post, but for reasons mentioned above about fakes and knock offs, I'll pay a little extra and buy from my LBS. As a matter of fact I ordered a WCS Alloy 1-Bolt seatpost, his price was was compatible to any online retailer, which always makes me a return customer. I'll be ordering a new Ritchey bar and stem from him soon. You could save a few bucks on gear, or you could perhaps save your life or serious injury and pay for the reel deal. JMO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast