Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one
    How did you recognise the fakeness? And which ebay seller (if I may ask of course)?
    Are you asking me or meph?

How I recongnized the bar is fake is explained above. The eBay seller I bought it from is otherwisehk. He/she wouldn't refund me. I had to open a PayPal dispute to get my money back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1
    Are you asking me or meph?

How I recongnized the bar is fake is explained above. The eBay seller I bought it from is otherwisehk. He/she wouldn't refund me. I had to open a PayPal dispute to get my money back.
    I was asking Meph, your pictures have been clear.

mtbr member
    I received a response from a second Ritchey representative.

Riccardo Deliziosi from the Ritchey Sales Dept. wrote:
    Dear Fernando,
    We are sorry to tell you that you have bought a fake Ritchey bar.
    It is easy for us to detect this because there is no sanding in the center area of the bar.

It would be good for Ritchey to know the ebay seller that is selling this bar, so we could try to stop him.

Thanks for your report.

Best regards

Ritchey Sales Dept.
    Ritchey International Sagl
    Via Cantonale 2
    6916 Grancia
    Switzerland
    Tel. + 41 91 9605220
    Fax + 41 91 9605221
    www.ritcheylogic.com

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Well, get your money back. I perfectly happy with mine!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

metrotuned WoS
    What Zachariah and Zefr1 said are totally different. What rep from what country and what auction totally differs case by case. The otherwisehk seller is still selling the WCS rizer bar at $82 shipped. I can't see how they're fake unless you term fake being a non-authorized seller/dealer. They retail for $129 from an authorized dealer so I can see the bias in offering that anyone else selling at discount is "fake". And from the photos, it seems like they are tiny details like more grip or less grip, aluminum reinforcement for bar ends that no one uses anyways. Great looking handlebar and they're all over ebay at 7X-8X dollars.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Eh oh.
    I mentioned this idea a while back, and am going to repost it after looking closer at the pictures that both sfer and windwithme have posted, and from my experience with my bars.
    Could it be that they are quality control rejects? On mine, the logo isn't perfectly straight. In both the pictures that sfer and windwithme posted, it looks like the logo isn't perfectly straight.
    That would probably be enough to have a batch of bars rejected, and a batch could easily be a few hundred before they sampled and caught a bad one, went back and discarded the whole bunch. Would also explain why they showed up on ebay, are coming out of Asia somewhere, are so cheap, and are older models.
    Ritchey had them laying around, finally decided to get rid of them / destroy them, maybe sold them for cheap, maybe had them destroyed and whoever was destroying them kept them instead.
    Just my two cents on it - I'm entirely content with my bar, and for the price, I can't complain.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    oh no! I've just seen this. I've ordered a WCS Flat carbon bar from an eBay seller in Taiwan. It should be here in a few hours time. Oh no!!! I'm worried.
    ....Setté Phantom....

mtbr member
    I ordered my carbon WCS bar and stem through chain reaction for peace of mind. Plus CR has great prices and for a few more bucks than the ebay ones, why not?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Well for what its worth I just received my WCS Carbon Rizer (31.8mm, 30mm rise, 660mm length). Weight is 162.5 grams. Cosmetically it looks to be flawless. US$62 + $17 shipping from eBay seller "hk_bikeshop".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kwarwick; 07-27-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    mine looks identical and has been 100% so far...similar price paid too.

wish I could find a ibis mojo at a similarly reduced price! :-)

What are people's thoughts on the strength of these bars? Yeah I know, this is a question to ask *before* buying one.

I'm just a little concerned now that I realized that my other bike (5" travel Rocky Mountain ETSX) has a RaceFace Next XC low rise, 25.4mm clamp, 635mm wide and that bar weights 180 grams.

This Ritchey bar is 25mm wider and weights 18 grams less and the application is a bigger hit bike (6.5" travel Scott Ransom). Am I courting disaster using such a light carbon bar on this bike?
    Last edited by kwarwick; 07-27-2009 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    I've got my handle bars, whats the email for Ritchey? Mine have a thin wall too. I'm very worried as I want to use bar ends.
    ....Setté Phantom....

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    What are people's thoughts on the strength of these bars? Yeah I know, this is a question to ask *before* buying one.
    I found a mixture of answers TBH, Im trying my own.
    I ride mostly xc but with some 3-4ft drops to flat that I enjoy.
    I weigh 230lbs loaded and ride a Titus motolite.
    Bar has been fine so far. Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by jw8725
    I've got my handle bars, whats the email for Ritchey? Mine have a thin wall too. I'm very worried as I want to use bar ends.
    Personally I wouldn't put bar ends on any carbon bar unless it has obvious provisions made for them. The re-enforced ends shown in post #10 are required to avoid crushing and/or cracking the ends of the bar. I've also seen warnings about using only certain types of bar end clamp designs to avoid distorting carbon bars. http://www.eastonbike.com/downloadab...df/barends.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2009

I'm just a little concerned now that I realized that my other bike (5" travel Rocky Mountain ETSX) has a RaceFace Next XC low rise, 25.4mm clamp, 635mm wide and that bar weights 180 grams.

This Ritchey bar is 25mm wider and weights 18 grams less and the application is a bigger hit bike (6.5" travel Scott Ransom). Am I courting disaster using such a light carbon bar on this bike?

I think you answered your own question. Seems as though there's an up side and a down side to using those bars, and the down side far exceeds the up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jw8725
    info@ritchey.ch

mtbr member
    ^^

I emailed them with no reply so far
    ....Setté Phantom....

mtbr member
    Riccardo Deliziosi
    riccardo@ritchey.ch
    Ritchey Sales Dept.

Silvio Ostinelli
    silvio@ritchey.ch
    Warranty Manager

SEA
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, I got mine WCS flat bar for around 70$ from HK... With design it's OK, the stem area is sandy and logos is correct but problem was with wall thickness and wasn't even... From side looked like in shape of egg... The thickness varied... I never sawed original one, that's why I thought it's barend compatible as said on Ritchey's home page so put those on... After one falloff, the bike landed on barend and made a crack in barend area... Thankfully I found master who fixed this problem without cutting it and put duraluminium tubes about 42mm in lenght... Now it weights just 15 grams more but is much stronger and I can use barends without worrying... And I rounded all edges of barends so if anything will happen, they easier slip...
    Here I attached some photos after accident...
    Attached Images Attached Images

LCW
    mtbr member
    glad I found this thread.... when something is too good to be true, it usually is... will pass on the ebay ones....

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Well for what its worth I just received my WCS Carbon Rizer (31.8mm, 30mm rise, 660mm length). Weight is 162.5 grams. Cosmetically it looks to be flawless. US$62 + $17 shipping from eBay seller "hk_bikeshop".
    I got mine from the same seller. I'm pretty sure I got a fake. The enamel gets distorted and scratched very easily. Does not have the bar end caps the real one's have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ive been on mine since dec. and they have been fine. according to this thread mine a prob fake, but i havent had a problem yet.

mtbr member
    I bought a Ritchey WCS carbon lowrizer, with unidirectional (UD) carbonfiber from Taiwan, it looks awesome. But I did notice a few things... the thickness is also uneven at the bar-end, but the shape is symmetrical with the other side. So maybe it's a design feature? After all... if you wrap a bunch of carbonfibre sheets around a dissolvable core, and make it uneven... wouldn't the OUTER shape be egg-shaped? (So no shifter or brake clamp would be able to slide over it)
    Also... the 66cm bar is only 156gr!!! Nice

mtbr member
    the ones i put on epic look closer to the real ones in sfer1 pics at least the grippy section is. The only complaint on my is i had some brake levers that leaked DOT fluid, when it did some of the finish came off. I'v had mine on since march or feb. they have been through daily training, races and a few crashes, never had a problem other then what was described above. I paid about $69 from ebay
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just did a quick look over at ebay - sure are a lot of fake ones still for sale - these look fake based on clamp area:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/09-Ritchey-WCS-C...#ht_2011wt_939

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast