View Poll Results: Which handlebar would you choose when strength and durability are prime importance?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Easton Monkeylite XC (31.8 x 685mm)

    26 60.47%
  • Ritchey WCS Carbon Low Rizer (31.8 x 660mm)

    17 39.53%
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    310

    New question here. Easton Monkeylite vs Ritchey WCS Carbon Low Rizer handlebar?

    I'm trying to decide which handle bar to get that will replace my current ~160g heavier Easton EA30 handle bar. Do any of you fellow mtbr's have experience with both and why would you choose one over the other? Or if you have an alternative suggestion, I would appreciate if you post it, it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance .

  2. #2
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,913
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  3. #3
    ^ That's what I do
    Reputation: Hopping_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    746
    Easton's website says that your bar weighs 335 grams.
    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/B...a30_%2709.html
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopping_Rocks
    Easton's website says that your bar weighs 335 grams.
    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/B...a30_%2709.html
    yep, so the monkeylite and ritchey are about 170g weight loss savings give or take a few grams . Rockyuphill, what advantages does the Race Face Next SL 3/4'' handlebar have over the monkeylite and ritchey?
    My Iron Horse MKIII Weight Weenie Project:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=468028

  5. #5
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,913
    It doesn't have Easton or Ritchey printed on it. Purely my effort to muddy the waters of choice. I have a Next SL 3/4" on one bike and the wider Next 3/4" on my AM bike, they're both nice bars, nice finish, good vibration damping qualities.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 12-30-2008 at 06:54 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    315
    The Ritchey bar is more handsome, and I think the width is perfect (for me).
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    310
    It seems like this test is commenting the Ritchey carbon handle bar as being stronger than the Easton monkeylite:

    Carbon handlebar and seatpost test on german Bike Magazine
    My Iron Horse MKIII Weight Weenie Project:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=468028

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    129

    Replay

    I've been looking at these 2 bars as well, the EC70 can be cut down according to the Easton site, but the Ritchey wcs has metal inserts in the ends for barends, so I'm not sure if they can be shortened. I would need to cut them down a bit as they are a little wide for me. Must admit the wcs looks better that the eastons bars.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner
    I've been looking at these 2 bars as well, the EC70 can be cut down according to the Easton site, but the Ritchey wcs has metal inserts in the ends for barends, so I'm not sure if they can be shortened. I would need to cut them down a bit as they are a little wide for me. Must admit the wcs looks better that the eastons bars.
    I would guess that as long as you are not going to run bar ends, the WCS can be cut too. It's just easier for Ritchey if they say you can't. Since cutting it is an irreversible decision I would suggest riding with it at normal width for a while.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

  10. #10
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,913
    Quote Originally Posted by dejacky
    It seems like this test is commenting the Ritchey carbon handle bar as being stronger than the Easton monkeylite:

    Carbon handlebar and seatpost test on german Bike Magazine
    You have to read that whole thread because the test involved overtorquing the stem bolts and seeing how the bars survived when installed improperly.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tzvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    144

    Another NEXT fan...

    Another vote here for the NEXT SL. My brother has a Monkeylite, I think it is ugly but how important are looks . The NEXT 'feels' good; it dampens well while not feeling flexy. I thought it was a frivolous purchase when I got it; I have since changed my mind and now I think it was one of the better component upgrades I have done.

  12. #12
    offroader
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,145
    I have the Monkeylite SL and WCS Carbon Rizer. I like both. I got the MonkeyLite first a few years back and recently got the WCS to match my WCS carbon seatpost for my Scott Spark. The WCS looks nicer and has a glossy finish. The monkeylite is a bit older and retro to me. They both are very stiff and feel way better than any alloy handle bar and good for dampening vibration. I love them both.

  13. #13
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    If you want to save some weight go with a 25.4 mm version and get a Syntace F99 stem.

  14. #14
    What's "social pace?"
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    934
    i see no reason to get 31.8 diameter bars. they are not stronger.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    I have the Monkeylite SL and WCS Carbon Rizer. I like both. I got the MonkeyLite first a few years back and recently got the WCS to match my WCS carbon seatpost for my Scott Spark. The WCS looks nicer and has a glossy finish. The monkeylite is a bit older and retro to me. They both are very stiff and feel way better than any alloy handle bar and good for dampening vibration. I love them both.
    CupOfJava, do you have the 25.4mm version? I've been looking at both handlebars (as well as the Next SL), but there's one piece of info I can't seem to find: the length of the grip area. Can you measure this length on your bars for me? It's the distance from the end of the bar to the tapered area. Thanks!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    544
    ive got the wcs bars and im in love with them. they are a bit wider than normal but i havent noticed any problems with that outside of the tightest of trees.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    129
    Do the aluminium inserts on the WCS bars come out. If they do then I guess I could cut the bars and put the inserts back in. I want to use bar ends. Also if the bars have inserts in them do normal size bar end plugs fit in.
    They are 660mm, I have found that my optimum size is 610mm.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    544
    the inserts are made into the carbon weave. they arent removable and i couldnt even tell where they start and begin. im honestly not even sure if they have insets in the ends.

  19. #19
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner
    Do the aluminium inserts on the WCS bars come out. If they do then I guess I could cut the bars and put the inserts back in. I want to use bar ends. Also if the bars have inserts in them do normal size bar end plugs fit in.
    They are 660mm, I have found that my optimum size is 610mm.
    Check out the Easton site you CAN use bar ends with their bars despite them not having an insert.
    I have used Easton EC70's on my SS and geared bikes both with and without bar ends for a few years now with absolutely no issues.
    I have used Cane Creek Ergo's and Singletrack Solutions bar ends.
    I am currently using Ergon Magnesiums on a Ritchey WCS which are working fine too.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    129

    2009 monkeylite

    Out of interest our local bike shop has 2009 ec70 monkeylite bars and the logos are red and white like the EC90SL bars. Does anyone know if the colour of the logo is the only difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •