Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

carbon ritchey fork on an MB-1?

Hey guys, I have an old bridgestone mb-1 that my uncle gave to me when i was a kid. It saw most of its years sitting a garage, but now I'm interested in getting into mountain biking this summer, and realized the fork needs to be replaced.

How's this for a replacement fork?

http://www.amazon.com/2010-RITCHEY-C...2847595&sr=8-1

I understand that upgrading to a suspension fork may mess with the intended geometry of this old bike's frame, and I'm a complete beginner so i'm not sure how well that fork would do with the mb1. Thanks!

illuminaughty
    well......thats a Road fork and the MB1 is a Mountain bike...not a good mix...wrong link maybe? You need to go to your local bike shop for some guidance...or do some research and reading here before you muck up a good bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    well......thats a Road fork and the MB1 is a Mountain bike...not a good mix...wrong link maybe? You need to go to your local bike shop for some guidance...or do some research and reading here before you muck up a good bike.
    oh whoops. this one. it's a cyclocross fork, so i was wondering how it'd fare on a mtb.

http://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-Cycloc...2851106&sr=1-7

i actually checked at a bike shop near my area, and the guy there suggested i put a dart 2 on my mb-1. i never went back

illuminaughty
    Same difference, it's still a 700cc fork on a 26" wheel MTB....do some research my friend. A Dart would be wrong but better than what your looking at. Like I said, don't muck up a good bike. If you want suspension buy a newer bike, leave the MB1 alone. How about a picture?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yeah i def. dont want to muck it up. i didn't realize until recently that i had a very respectable and respected bike. i'll take pics and post them later tonight.

John Galt
    There is a 26" version of that fork, but I see two likely problems:

1) As far as i know, they all have 1 1/8" steerer tubes. I'm pretty sure all MB-1s are 1", so it wouldn't fit.
    2) If, by chance, there's a 1 1/8" MB-1, this would still change the geometry, as it's a suspension corrected fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What is wrong with the original fork?
    Andy

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by philahn
    yeah i def. dont want to muck it up. i didn't realize until recently that i had a very respectable and respected bike. i'll take pics and post them later tonight.
    That's the right attitude, and you're smart to steer clear of the shop that wanted to put a Dart II on it. Patience will pay off. Sometimes, it's actually easier to buy a "donor bike" of similar vintage, an MB-2 or 3 of the same year for instance, that might have other issues but an intact fork. I'm looking forward to your pics and more details...
    Beware the forty-year-old man on a twenty-year-old bike...He likely knows how to ride it.

illuminaughty

sorry...

but this thread's just not right without a picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    You should be able to find a Ritchey unicrown rather easily. It would be an inexpensive and proper fork for a MB-2.

Stan, didn't realize you had that. I am a sucker for anything with a bi-plane fork. Just missed an '82 Stumpy with one by a few minutes this morning. Damn.

VRC Hound
    The fork on Stan's MB-1 was a really nice project by Bridgestone. Nice bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Stan just gave me fork lust.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Wow Stan! That really is a very nice bike!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here are the pics guys. As you can see, the shocks on the fork are completely gone. I guess my uncle upgraded the suspension fork. If i were to upgrade the suspension fork, what do you guys recommend? i have up to a $350 budget max.

VRC Hound
    You should be able to get a nice fork for the bike for $50-100. Look at unicrown forks on Ebay or Project II forks. Make sure to get a 1 inch steerer.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Ritchey unicrown.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I don't know if i'm gonna be able to find a Ritchey unicrown fork lol

How's this one? It's kind of tough finding a 1" steerer. :[

http://www.bikeman.com/KON-P2MTNONEINCH.html

mtbr member
    A little long. You ideally want something that is about 395 mm long.
    A Tange Mtn Fork might be easier to find. Or a Spinner, both show up fairly regularly on ebay.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    contact joel at clockworks bikes, he's got those slick fork lugs (pacenti?) and can make you a nice lugged crown fork to your weight/riding style etc. think his forks are about 200

I'm pretty sure most custom framebuilders can get the same unicrowns and can do the same, but I like Joel, so there.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Try the Tange Presteige here:

http://www.bikeparts.com/productsearch.asp?manufacturerName=Tange&selCategory=1434&selManufacturer=440&categoryName=Forks%A0-%A0Rigid[/URL]
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Yep, that'd be good (http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC133846)
    But it looks out of stock.

mtbr member
    Rats, didn't check stock, sorry.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This one's available. Good to go?

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/t...k-1-black.html

Down South Yooper
    That fork would be a good fit, although somewhere along the line, your bike was converted from a threaded setup to a threadless setup. It's easy to reverse, but you'll need a new headset (or at least upper cup and race) and quill stem to go back.

Also, when buying a threaded fork, attention must be paid to the length of the steerer so that it is long enough, with enough threads to engage the headset nut, but not be too long. Too long would be preferrable, but then you'd have to track down someone to cut to the right length and rethread if necessary..

Where are you located, sounds like a little in person guidance to get this MB-1 up and running would be helpful. The local LBS is not terribly likely to be well versed in this tech anymore, but if you post up where you're at, somebody might be able to recommend a decent shop to help you out..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member

You other guys are helpful, but apparently can't read
    (that is, unless I am wrong in assuming that "thrdls" means "threadless" and not "the riddles" or something)

So, the fork you found is also threadless! (as anything made new these days probably is) Since your bike was converted to threadless for the suspension fork, this will be fine! You can re-use the same headset and stem you have now. If you can't do it yourself, I would recommend having a shop switch the forks out for you. It shouldn't be too expensive ($15-30?).

One thing to note would be that the new fork will have a longer steerer tube than the current one. If you have felt that you would like the handlebars a little higher, this would be a good time to experiment with raising things an inch or two with spacers instead of getting the steerer tube cut down flush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast