mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Blue Collar Ritchey birthday present

If your like me a Ritchey Ascent is not tops on your list of must own vintage mountain bikes. However getting one as a surprise gift for your birthday from a wife that can get more than a little fed up with bikes is pretty darn cool. Turns out my wife's trainer bought this thing new and can't ride it anymore due to some back issues. The original wheels were replaced and not saved (damn) and the seat has been changed (and is insanely comfortable) but otherwise a real clean early model. I think I'm just going to leave this thing as is, maybe add some racks and use it as a grocery getting kid trailer pulling vintage machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Collar Ritchey birthday present-ritchey1.jpg  

Blue Collar Ritchey birthday present-ritchey2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Very cool spouse you have(The bike isn't bad either ) . That frame is huge(and my size)... Is it a 25"?

VRC Illuminati
    Nice DG and big time credit to your wife!

Please change the saddle though....I can't even talk to you until then.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

standover

Damn, that frame is huge! What is the standover height?

Rumpfy is right with that comment... Bullmoose bars and squishy seats don't mix!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice Ascent. You should be able to ID the year off of the the serial on the BB. Mine is a 87 , I suspect yours is a 86 due to the Bullmouse. Mine came with Araya RM-20's on a XT hubset with a six speed 30 T freewheel. I do not think it would be real hard to find a Araya wheelset if you were inclined. http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
    Nice Ascent. You should be able to ID the year off of the the serial on the BB. Mine is a 87 , I suspect yours is a 86 due to the Bullmouse. Mine came with Araya RM-20's on a XT hubset with a six speed 30 T freewheel. I do not think it would be real hard to find a Araya wheelset if you were inclined. http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/
    I have the Canadian version of that bike (RoMo sticker on seattube, chrome bullmoose and white fork). It has 6 spd Dura Ace cassette hubs and RM-25s.

mtbr member
    Is that bike perhaps one of the large Finley payment frames recently offered up on eBay. Looks way to good to me to have just have been a clean garage queen.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Is that bike perhaps one of the large Finley payment frames recently offered up on eBay. .
    no

looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hollister is right, not a chance.I did sell one of those frames recently though. It really does look a little more used up close. Never did see much dirt but still got some garage rash.

mtbr member
    So BMX that either means you're damn tall or you ride wearing protective equipment

and Holli thanks for the picture perfect clarity in the differences
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxcollector
    I did sell one of those frames recently though.
    you had and sold on of those? was it a finished frame?
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Unfinished and in pretty sad shape with some rust issues starting to take hold.

Not tall enough! I have started to develop a lovely falsetto.

horn doggie
    My first mtb was an '85 Ascent. It came with Dura Ace hubs and alloy bullmoose bars. On the test ride I went over the bars and into a creek bed a block from the shop. I bought it on principle though it was always too big for me. Funny, though - I sold that bike 2 years later to my 6'2" buddy and picked up an '87 TimberComp the same day in the proper size while in Mammoth for the World's that year. While on a test ride just across the parking lot from the shop, with my buddy following on the Ascent, I did a stoppy and he ran into me, and over the bars I went. When we untangled the rear wheel was tacoed. I carried the bike back to the shop and bought it, embarrased, while the mechanic whacked the wheel on the shop floor to get some roundness back into it. Sorry for the hijack!! :-)
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Here is one of the Finley frames that was finished and used "back in the day". The original owner purchased the frame and had Tom build a fork for it and had a car painter apply the paint.

We do have a couple of teh "nekkid" ones as well.