mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Bar ends on non-compatible Ritchey Superlogic

What do you think, will Superlogic (106g) handle bar ends if they will be screwed really gently ?

Ritchey says this handlebar is not compatible with bar ends but I've heared about couple of people who tried that.

PS: similar weight Bontrager XXX Life flat is compatible with bar ends

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezex
    What do you think, will Superlogic (106g) handle bar ends if they will be screwed really gently ?

Ritchey says this handlebar is not compatible with bar ends but I've heared about couple of people who tried that.

PS: similar weight Bontrager XXX Life flat is compatible with bar ends
    Sure why not, go ahead and try. I'd recommend Onza style bar ends (the clamp). That way you'll get a really good bite into the carbon...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Just...

remember, that you are accepting the risk. The reason bar ends are not permitted on some bars is not just because they might crush the end of the bar; bar ends apply more leverage to the entire bar, so using bar ends on a bar not designed for the higher stress risks breaking the bar at the stem.
    That being said, there may be enough safety factor engineered into the bars that a lightweight rider will be able to get away with using bar ends.
    Disclaimer: I do not advise that anyone should use bar ends on a bar that is not designated for bar end use.

WTF
    If you know someone who can do machining, or have a machine shop do it, make a plug out of aluminum, 1" long, proper diameter to fit in bar, epoxy it in. He77, It doesn't even have to be solid, It can be a aluminum pipe.
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    what part of "non-compatible" do you not understand?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    sure, just torque on the bolt until you hear a cracking sound, then back off a quarter of a turn....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey, I'm not going to try it, it's just a hypothetical question so don't be so sarcastic, I was just wondering what are your thougts on this subject.

I think that this handlebar just don't have alu inserts to save some weight and it's the only reason that it's not for bar ends. It must be strong at the ends because many people grasp handlebar at the ends event if they don't have any bar ends. I've also didn't see any weight limit so it must be strong enough to withstand large lever.

mtbr member
    I've done it on a carbon Salsa bar and right now on an FSA carbon bar and have had no problems with either. Both state that they are not bar end compatible but I've had no problems. I know that they give that warning for a reason but I'll assume the risk.

Church of the Wheel
    Specialized used to make some very trick and light bar end plugs to reinforce the bar-end clamping zone - beautifully machined aluminum, 16gms per pair, if I remember correctly. I don't see them on the website currently, though, so don't know if they're still available. Here's a link with pics: http://thebikelab.com/2008/01/24/spe...bar-end-plugs/

These have worked well for me on a couple of carbon bars.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think that this handlebar just don't have alu inserts to save some weight and it's the only reason that it's not for bar ends. It must be strong at the ends because many people grasp handlebar at the ends event if they don't have any bar ends. I've also didn't see any weight limit so it must be strong enough to withstand large lever.
    The bontrager bars actually have the carbon taper to a thicker end(no aluminum plugs) but the Race Face next flat bar I have came with inserts for that bar. They were a very tight fit and I don't think I could remove them if I tried.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    The barend specific handlebars are thicker in the ends, I would not recommend to use barends, your face is more worth than 100 bucks, really?

Swap bars or as someone mentioned, stiffener tubes inserted.
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezex
    Hey, I'm not going to try it, it's just a hypothetical question so don't be so sarcastic, I was just wondering what are your thougts on this subject.

non-sarcastic answer: you're confusing different things - the issue with bar ends is the low 'hoop strength' of carbon. Have a look at Thomson's page on hoop strength and carbon:
    http://www.lhthomson.com/carbon_seatpost.htm

looking for easton attack
    Feb 2009
    hi! barend-compatibility does not have ANYTHING to do with the thickness of the bar! it depends on the direction of the fibers (keyword: torsion). nevertheless there are some bars non barend-compatible although they are designed for them, eg. ax-lightness bar with tune barends. in this case the tune barends cause to much compression on specific points on the bar. for those of you with some knowledge of the german language here is a small report with some technical facts: http://www.forum.light-bikes.de/showthread.php?t=11160