mtbr member
    Oct 2006

721 vs Halo Freedom/Syncros DP28

Hi, want to build strong/light wheelset laced on hope pro 2 hubs, shortlisted Mavic 721 vs Halo Freedom/Syncros DP28 (same rim I have read?). Use: light FR, Chicksand jumps, Alpine DH (not extreme), Cwm Carn and general trial. Your comments and recommendations would be appreciated. Going on a 180mm travel bike with 2.4 tyres. Probably use tubes initially but might want to go tubless at some point with tubless kit?

Roll on Spring Time!
    I dont know about tubeless as I am about to switch over this year but I was running a Freedom on the rear of my last 7" patriot and it got hammered with no issues. The side profile is high so I picked up some cosmetic dents from loose rocks rolling over my tyres. I was debating some DT 5.1s but probably dropping that idea in favour of 721 or Freedom. For its weight the freedom is a tuff rim.
    I just want to ride.

Now with More Wood
    Can't help with a comparison, because i have not ridden the Mavics. I only have good things to say about the Halo Freedom rim though. Strong as hell, easy to build, takes a beating, and not too heavy. For the application you describe, they sound perfect. That is basically how I have been riding mine, including the usual gnarly moments (big rocks, off camber bad landings from drops, etc etc) - even after heavy abuse they keep going strong, and are easy to true up again if you REALLY mess them up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks guys for the advice...sounds like Halo's would build into a neat wheelset....I estimate around 2000g with hopes and DT db spoke, nipples?

mtbr member
    i know you didn't ask.. but you could also consider the Alex SupraD.. they fall right between the DP28 and 721 weight wise... and mine have taken quite a beating.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Thanks guys for the advice...sounds like Halo's would build into a neat wheelset....I estimate around 2000g with hopes and DT db spoke, nipples?
    Can't help with the weight...all I know is that with dualply Minion DHF/DHR and DH tubes with slime in 'em, my wheels probably weigh as much as the rest of the bike...
    (but that is not the fault of the rims - they are not too bad for a sturdy rim).
    Oh and yes I have laced mine to Hope Pro II - sweet! (using a 2mm straight guage Wheelsmith spoke)

'All over it!'
    I have a recently built set of Syncros DS28s laced to Hope Pro II hubs. My wheelset is quite heavy due to running Maxxis Highroller 2.5 DH tyres and Maxxis FR tubes.

Can't comment on how they ride yet, but they certainly look tough with their high profile. Mine are 32Hole laced with DT comp spokes and with a lighter high volume tyre, such as the Maxxis Advantage 2.4, even with tubes would come in at a resonable weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi lorni, did you get the white ones to match your newly painted FR? Who did you get to lace them?

Hi stinkyrider, I don't think Alex is imported into UK...but you can get Azonic Outlaws in the UK which I have read are the same rim? 36 holes only which means I can't use Hope hubs? I have read some good and bad comments about the Supra's . How do they compare in you book?

Now with More Wood
    Hi lorni, did you get the white ones to match your newly painted FR? Who did you get to lace them?

Hi stinkyrider, I don't think Alex is imported into UK...but you can get Azonic Outlaws in the UK which I have read are the same rim? 36 holes only which means I can't use Hope hubs? I have read some good and bad comments about the Supra's . How do they compare in you book?
    Hope make the Pro II in a 36 hole version (I run it in the rear...).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Iceman, you're right....thanks. Do you think there's a lot of difference in strength vs weight gain?

Now with More Wood
    Hey Iceman, you're right....thanks. Do you think there's a lot of difference in strength vs weight gain?
    What, you mean the extra 4 spokes in terms of extra weight? Either way, I don't really know, all I know is that I went with 36 spokes in the rear, and it's been dead solid for me. I can't really help you wiht a comparison 32h vs. 36h...

mtbr member

I can't compare them direct to either rim, as I've never owned 721's or d28s.... but the supraDs have been dead solid. I put a beating on them all last season and they're still straight w/no flat spots. I have them on my highline which I use for everything from xc to full on DH... lot's of rocky terrain around here too, i'm happy with the supraD's

Slap happy crappiness
    Not really.
    721's are great rims if you keep the pressure up in the mid 20's, they dent otherwise. Hope Pro II's come in 36 and 32 hole, so it's up to you. I'd check the availability of the whatever rim you go with's hole count. I had to wait a month for my 721's drilled for 36 while I could find 32s everywhere.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.