mtbr member
    Jul 2010

A 2nd race - Syncros Headset

I have purchased a used Salsa Ala Carte with World Cup suspension forks and the original fixed forks. I would like to use the fixed forks on my next touring trip in September and am having a hard time finding a second race to put on the fixed forks.

I would rather keep each set of forks with their own race, is this a fairly normal things to do? Some bike shop staff have commented on the unlikely-hood of finding a matching spare race.

Taking away the forks at the base of the Syncros headset reveals the bearings are 6806-2RS OSID ENDURO. I have been told that the angle of the race matches the angle of the bearing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/james.le...eat=directlink

I was wondering if it is out of the ordinary to buy multiple races for a single headset. If so, then purchasing a bearing / matching race this fits the space might be an alternative.

I have emailed Syncros but though I would see how other riders have approached this conundrum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A 2nd race - Syncros  Headset-race.jpg  

A 2nd race - Syncros  Headset-bearing.jpg  

A 2nd race - Syncros  Headset-syncros2.jpg  

29 some of the time...
    This is one reason to run Cane Creek or Chris King headsets, the races are cheap and readily available. Those old syncros hardcore headsets were very good though, I had one for about 3 years and it was smooth as day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for that heads up... I'll whip the race off my suspension forks and put them on my standard ones for my touring trip , I'll contact the LBS for pricing and options around both your suggestions for a long term solution.

mtbr member
    looks auful
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance