I love Pisgah

Prerode Hawks Creek Farm for next weeks race today(pics)

What a splendid Spring day. Drove the 117 miles (one way) which included some of our great Sat morning traffic(9:24am to be exact)around the Parimeter. Yes, we are full here. I hate Atlanta. Thank God I'm going the other direction. This went for like 8 miles or so. Sucks to be them.

I did three 5.5 mile laps with my 2nd one for intel pics. The last one was with DoctorJD, as he arrived later in the day. Thank god, since I woulda never known about the course going thru some sections otherwise.

At Hawks Creek(owned by one of the promoters)in Georgia is about 2/3s the way to SC east of Atlanta, being very close the University of Ga(da Bull Dogs). Theres lots to gander at besides the course itself. 3-4 homes...horses...stables...etc. Like this old home thats still lived in. We park a few yards away and snapped this on my left while riding my bike by to the trailhead.

The view it has to my right. We actually will ride that far fenceline each lap. Nice eh?...well, all except that power sucking grass.

After that and about 200yds of FS like road, you vear off and zoom down this.

Looking back the other direction from the end of the straight above...Nice country.

Big field you ride for prob .5 mile and skirt the edges of it for abit. Looks kinda fast for sure.

These are everywhere. I couldn't resist a shot. Nice eh? Yes indeedy. See'm in the pic above?

Some more fast stuff.

After that, its ALL singletrack that meanders forever thru roots, rocks, ups, downs, yada yada. Gonna be hard to pass in for most of the course IMHO.

These guys (Team Random LOL!) came smoke'n by as I scouted this section.

Stay tuned....as you know me....

I love Pisgah

Mo pics mo pics mo pics

Singletrack action is all...

Creek all along to the right thru alot of this. Prob 6-7 short steep(anarobic)ups thats really to speak of over the length of the course...but theres no places to rest either with it being rooty/rocky ups or downs in the meantime.

This is whats at the high spot in the pic above.

Bigger steeper then it looks. Note my bike up on the rocks resting.

Same spot up where the bike is. Pick a line...any line. 2-3 bad ones, and 1 good one.

From the otherside. You have to go down this. Your blind to it until the last seconds. Got it dailed now...thank God. LOL!

The "Dip of Doom" This is fast and has some serious gravity action at the bottom. Check that tire pressure.

Up from the bottom where you go up....

The otherside where you drop off. Hope it doesn't rain.heheheheh

I love Pisgah
    Last one...I swear

New section. Not much passing action thru here. Nada.

Note glove for size reference. This is going down hill, so tired racers better pay attention right here, or its endo city.

You do NOT want to overshoot this corner. The trail skirts this deepass ravine for a ways. Its deeper then it looks.

The otherside of the ravine. Still riding along side of it.

Ok, thats it for the preride. Just having fun is all.

duckout

paintbucket
    How far off I-20 is that, and is there more than 5.5 miles of trail? I drive by there every month or so. I usually stop in McCormick County, SC, but that looks like a nice place to check out.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks like a nice trail. Thanks for the photo tour.

Atlanta traffic does bite. Coming home from Bull mtn today, we were in fairly heavy traffic from the outlet mall near Dahlonega, all the way to Atlanta.

Infinity-1
    Feb 2004

Pre-rode the trail last Thursday and it looks really fun...

Thanks for the report and pictures. It really helps to hear what some one else thinks...Also, the tour is a good memory refresher. It is amazing how pictures do not give the true sense of slope that real life does. The gully of doom is huge and basically straight down. The pics make it look like it is no big deal....same with the rock crossing.

In my illustriuos racing career (two races...hehehe) I have never run a trail like this before with a herd of other beginners. Will there be a lot of falling, bleeding, and running over each other? I know that I need to really pace so that I don't have trouble with the obstacles/techinical nature of the trail because I am so winded. Dauset basically meant running full-out and being ragged tired was no big deal because things were not technical at all...Anyway.......Thanks.

Greyeye

I love Pisgah
    This race appears to have a relatively good amt of time to 'stretch' the classes out before the singletrack. Think ahead about the bottlenecks. Say some of the short steep ups....or that rock pile...or some of those technical rooty doglegs...etc. Don't follow right on the rear tire then, as if they fall, bobble, stop, or whatever..they don't take you with'm. Be close so you can pass if the chance arrives, but be just off to the side, or pick a different line if possible so you can slip by when it happens, or space off them some, and while doing so, you've maybe recovered abit more then they did. Don't be afraid to go around when they all stop and starting looking over each others shoulders. Pickup the bike and run, pedal around'm, etc. Whatever it takes. Oh, and another thing...watch the head...a rider drops his head when he loses his fight. Happens everytime. Remember that when someones behind YOU as well. Just might make the diff between them "trying" to close the gap...and not.

Remember with this course...you've got to get to the singletrack first, but you cannot blowup either. Theres hardly any place on this course thats worth mentioning concerning any rest, except the start/finish area. None nada.

Above all, remember this...have FUN. Thats what its all about. Don't kill yourself over it. Control what you can(preride, bike will prep'd, hydrate well at all the right times before..during..and after, eat well, have your systems ready for race day, get tehre early so your not rushed, warmup right and long enough, decent grid position, etc), and don't worry about what you can't(weather and everyone else).

Oh yeah...and again...have fun.

Just some mindless ramblings, '

Duck

I love Pisgah
    Its exactly do east of Athens about 10 miles. Prob about 45 minutes up 411(441?from 20 up past Heritage prolly.

No...this is the only trails there. Suggest there and Heritage that day to make it worth it.

Infinity-1
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the advice....

Two quick questions....What is a good strategy on grid positioning? What are your thoughts on warming up? I have tried not warming up much and warming up a little....This time I was going to try really riding around a good bit before hand. No hard starts but some good pushes uphill.....What do you think? Thanks again.

Greyeye

I love Pisgah
    Proper warm up is everything for me. Takes me a full hour. Some others it may take less. If your 'engines' not "on line"...you'll blow at race pace. Plain and simple. Cause your comp will have theirs going, if they know what they are doing.

Grid postions tough with large fields since your trying to balance warming up right up to the start...but also be there early enough to have a chance at the front row. Just gotta balance it best you can.

Infinity-1
    Feb 2004

Warming up....This may explain why I blew out..

at Dauset....Being new at this, I did one half-speed lap around the fence. At the start I was in the back of the grid due to not realizing that I needed to be there immediately to get a good spot. Anyway, by the time we reached the turn-off that heads towards huff n' puff, I was probably in about 5th place. I had passed a lot of people, mostly on the small hills there had been to that point. I was riding hard and doing well. However, that first real hill I realized that I was done for..Continued to lose places until about half-way thru the second lap when things kicked back in a little bit. I know I did not ride like I am capapble but wrote it off to not pacing myself......Was trying to figure this out because on pre-ride I had turned 23 minute laps no problem....I think it was the warm up thing on race-day. I did not start to run hard in pre-ride until after doing five half laps (bootlegger in/moonshine back out) while waiting on the rest of my team. Thus, I had had the time to get my engine "on-line". Anyway, how do you warm up, if you don't mind me asking? I have never really used a trainer....is it ok to go find some road hills nearby and ride around on them? What would you reccomend? Thanks....

Greyeye

Kearsarge crawler
    Looks like a fast course if you get out front. Good luck on it Duck, kick some random arse.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member

Thanks for pic #5....

...on this post. You know, the rock climb thingie. Tried the line you suggested on my next two laps after you left and cleaned it no problem. Your eyes tell you one thing and the bike reacts completely different through there. You've got to "connect the dots" through there and your pic helps devote it to memory. BTW if it rains this weekend forget riding it for, as you say, its gonna be one slick mofo! I had trouble even walking it last race when it was so wet. Of course the hard-arse soles on my SIDI's didn't help matters any.