mtbr member
    Mar 2007

NC is ok. Wife is starting to keep up. Video.

My wife and I moved to NC literally the day after we came back from our honeymoon last year. Previously we were situated in UT for 5 years (where we met and where I did my graduate school). Clearly, coming from UT, mountain biking in NC had a lot to live up to.

My wife has been riding for a long time, but was mostly a road cyclist with the occasional meandering onto trails with her old and heavy hardtail. And then we got her a FS ride. She has improved immensely. I take the SS out and then we stick pretty close together and have a blast.

Forgive me for the link, but I did several searches and was unable to find any embed instructions. I tried several common formats....
    Last edited by telethor; 09-23-2011 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Very creative shots! What do you use to mount the camera to the bike?

Damn I miss my monkey.

mtbr member
    Glad the two of you are enjoying it.
    Thanks for sharing.

MTBR Member
    Cycling in general is huge here in NC....trails from the mountains to the coast and everywhere inbetween. If you haven't hit the mtns, you have no idea. I think the riding in NC is far from just 'ok'....but that's me.

Good video.
    Last edited by ncfisherman; 09-23-2011 at 02:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by telethor View Post
    My wife and I moved to NC literally the day after we came back from our honeymoon last year. Previously we were situated in UT for 5 years (where we met and where I did my graduate school). Clearly, coming from UT, mountain biking in NC had a lot to live up to.

My wife has been riding for a long time, but was mostly a road cyclist with the occasional meandering onto trails with her old and heavy hardtail. And then we got her a FS ride. She has improved immensely. When I take the SS out instead of the squishy we stick pretty close together and she has a blast.

Forgive me for the link, but I did several searches and was unable to find any embed instructions. I tried several common formats....
    Telethor, if you're riding Hobby, I assume you're in the Triad. Have you ridden any of the Greensboro trails or Moore's Springs Trails in Danbury?

Check out www.biketriad.com and you and your wife come out for a ride with the Misfit crew. I have the same username over there as well.

Treekiller

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    @pointer, we're using GoPro's handlebar/seatpost mount. Works quite nicely.

@TreeKiller, we often ride over in Gboro and occasionally out in Wilkesboro. Haven't checked out Danbury yet. We actually road with some of the Misfits last spring and met up with some of them during the Toiletbowl last year (fun people), so I may have met you at some point. My wife isn't a huge fan of group rides since she thinks she's holding everybody up, so that's why we've been riding more alone. Perhaps we'll catch up with you guys again sometime though.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Telethor, we get a lot of visitors from the Triad to the Roanoke area. Much more vertical than you get in the Triad and I think quite a bit closer than Pisgah. A lot of techy stuff around too if you are into that kind of thing. Carvins Cove is a good place for a first visit as it is well marked and maintained. It has tame trails around the lake and tougher trails on the mountain.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Cool video. Creative mounting of the Go Pro.
    BTW, that powder skiing in Utah looks awesome (I checked out one of your other videos).

Telethor: Where in the area do you live? If you ever venture to Raleigh Let me know. I can show you some of the trails here. And, in late March( generally) we have the NCCSSR and since you mentioned SS you are here by invited in 2012. If our gaggle of drunken SSers ever get it together to plan it in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    If you haven't made it to the mountains, your missing the best of NC mountain biking.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    I always wonder how SS riders climb steep inclines

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Doesn't look like she's just keeping up. Lol I couldn't keep up. Awesome that u two can do that together. My wife is in insane shape but can't get the trust the bike thing down. Sorry little jealous. Great job on the video IMO

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Go to pisgah! As far as I'm concerned, western north Carolina has some of the best riding in the world. I definitely prefer it to moab. (haven't ridden anywhere else in ut). Really, almost anywhere can sunrise you with good riding, but pisgah is just special. Epic feeling adventure rides. 3000 + foot climbs. Wilderness. Technical trail. Spectacular views. Waterfalls, creeks, rodo tunnels, woodland dwards, nymphs and fairys. I wish I was there right now ....

I think its silly to say that this place has better riding than that. Apples and oranges. Riding is just fun,period. But pisgah is a special place and definitely worth checking out.

Sent from phone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

nice

cool video

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    nice video; catchy tune.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the good words. We're in Winston-Salem. So we don't get over to Raleigh much.

We've taken our dogs up to Hanging Rock/Danbury for hikes, so I can definitely see how there'd be fun trails to ride up there - just didn't know about any. We'll definitely look into them.

We have some tentative plans to do some camping and maybe some riding in the "mountains" later in the fall. (Sorry. I grew up in NH, so I have an immense appreciation for the Appalachians, but after living out west 'mountains' is a bit of a stretch. No offense. If you disagree, spend some time in the Rockies.)

My wife also put together her version of the events from our ride. She went for a slightly more whimsical approach. And she had the unfair advantage of access to footage from her DSLR hanging from trees at several turns during the ride. She'll be reading this later to make sure I posted the link... I can't complain though. She's by far the best riding partner I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by telethor View Post
    ...She's by far the best riding partner I've ever had.

Are you sure you're not just saying that for brownie points?