Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I think we also need a forum, perhaps a sub to the beginners corner called "Help me choose a bike", where people can post all the bike comparison help me choose threads. We can probably move many of the threads in the 26/27.5 and 29er forums there.
    I honestly think the current "Bike and Frame" forum covers those topics. I think it was more heavily trafficked for a little while after it was created, but as the site got bigger with new users, that intent wasn't obvious enough. Maybe rename it "Which Bike?" and populate it with the multitude of those bike comparo threads that show up practically everywhere. I still think it's valuable to let beginners ask about beginner bike comparo threads in the beginners' forum if they want to. I think the Beginners forum is really another "General" forum, yet with a slightly different atmosphere than mtbr at large.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    The Biginner Forum never made sense to me. A bunch of beginners going in and asking other beginners questions that should be asked to veterans of the sport. If it weren’t for the couple of veteran members fielding questions in that forum on a regular basis there would be a bunch blind leading the blind going on over there, more than there already is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    The Biginner Forum never made sense to me. A bunch of beginners going in and asking other beginners questions that should be asked to veterans of the sport. If it weren’t for the couple of veteran members fielding questions in that forum on a regular basis there would be a bunch blind leading the blind going on over there. More than there already is.
    That's cause you're not a beginner.

It's a more welcoming, no question is dumb, highly trafficked area of the site.

But more FAQs, assigned experts, etc is a good idea.
    IPA will save America

fc
    The New Posts page has now been modified to exclude: all regional forums and e-bikes.

This is a common complaint/suggestion and the logic is 'not everyone wants see that'.

Please check it out.

fc
    IPA will save America

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The New Posts page has now been modified to exclude: all regional forums and e-bikes.

This is a common complaint/suggestion and the logic is 'not everyone wants see that'.

Please check it out.

fc
    Here's a suggestion -

Tapatalk has a function that I use OFTEN that I wish the website version of the forum had. A quick link that showed me a list of threads I've participated in that have new responses. I'd still be thrilled if it was just a filter option for "New Posts" where I could check a box and it would just show me threads I've participated in.

That's cause you're not a beginner.

It's a more welcoming, no question is dumb, highly trafficked area of the site.

But more FAQs, assigned experts, etc is a good idea.
    I meant, wouldn’t it be better for the beginners to get more accurate answers if they asked them where more knowledgeable people hung out? Most of their questions would be asked in General or suitable parts forums if the Beginner forum was done away with. As it is now we’ve got beginners answering other beginners questions. No wonder trail etiquette is at an all time low. Just saying, I know there’s more people in the sport blah, blah, blah, but this could be small part of the equation.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Candlestick Maker
    So, I've vacillated between irritated and amused on this whole reorg. But, I actually think there is useful discussion going on here. Thanks all. Esp to the mods, cuz I know that has gotta be a thankless job.
    baker

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    So, I've vacillated between irritated and amused on this whole reorg. But, I actually think there is useful discussion going on here. Thanks all. Esp to the mods, cuz I know that has gotta be a thankless job.
    So you’re telling me there’s is a chance.

That you’ll hang out some more?

Candlestick Maker
    So you’re telling me there’s is a chance.

That you’ll hang out some more?

Actually laughing my a$$ off. Thanks for that. :-)
    baker

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015

I think we also need a forum, perhaps a sub to the beginners corner called "Help me choose a bike", where people can post all the bike comparison help me choose threads. We can probably move many of the threads in the 26/27.5 and 29er forums there.
    And I like THIS idea!
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    kudos for using #vacillated in a discussion.
    IPA will save America

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I honestly think the current "Bike and Frame" forum covers those topics. I think it was more heavily trafficked for a little while after it was created, but as the site got bigger with new users, that intent wasn't obvious enough. Maybe rename it "Which Bike?" and populate it with the multitude of those bike comparo threads that show up practically everywhere. I still think it's valuable to let beginners ask about beginner bike comparo threads in the beginners' forum if they want to. I think the Beginners forum is really another "General" forum, yet with a slightly different atmosphere than mtbr at large.
    Nope, I gotta say the "Help me choose a bike" idea is great. That's exactly what many people ask. If they are asking that, they don't know to check out frames, etc.
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I'd put those relevant wheel size debates in wheels & tires.

I'm in the process of building a 29er right now (first one for me, believe it or not), and I haven't visited any of the 29er forums, except for many months ago, I browsed some threads about AM hardtails and long travel 29er hardtails. I've done most of my discussion/research in the manufacturer forums.

It hurts less if you just rip it off quickly...
    Seems reasonable enough. There will be an adjustment period and a few who will always complain. Someone will have to write up a brief explanation to help "wipe the tears away" and reduce confusion.

mtbr member
    You probably don't remember when full size photos blew up the site layout, screwing up navigation because there would be no horizontal scrollbars. I don't like how it works now, either, because it also increases the size of intentionally smaller posted pics, but fixing it is going to require more work behind the scenes.
    Good photos make a big difference in enjoyment of a site, so I would think it would be something worth putting some effort into fixing. Lots of other forums seem to have it figured out.

I think if you simply left the forum for wheel size discussions only, you wouldn't have much left and you'd want to merge that with wheels & tires.
    Good. Maybe people would realize the never ending argument about wheel size is lame and they should just go ride their bikes.

On the 29er forum, can't really kill that. It has a lot of action, community and regulars. Get rid of it and half that traffic and users will go away.

One solution is to keep
    26er
    27.5er
    29er
    Sure you can kill the 29er forum. In the old days we would have just called them all "bikes". A lot of threads still devolve into arguments about which wheel size is better or which bike is best of that particular wheel size. I just don't see the need for different forums for each. I like Klurejr's idea below. Just call it "Bike Discussion - which bike for me?". Pretty all encompassing and obvious. If this combined forum fills up with mostly 29er threads so be it. I doubt the users will move on.

jcd's best friend
    *waiting for this thread to be moved*
    Trek Émonda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    rep given.
    IPA will save America

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Aw, I'm enjoying the ride experience of this thread...almost passionate even.

(but for real, a more user friendly site is a challenge I'm glad to see them tackling)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I moved a thread out of this forum today in whence a user was asking for a link to the road bike review website.

I hope no one is mad.......

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

I meant, wouldn’t it be better for the beginners to get more accurate answers if they asked them where more knowledgeable people hung out? Most of their questions would be asked in General or suitable parts forums if the Beginner forum was done away with. As it is now we’ve got beginners answering other beginners questions. No wonder trail etiquette is at an all time low. Just saying, I know there’s more people in the sport blah, blah, blah, but this could be small part of the equation.
    I totally agree with this.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    I moved a thread out of this forum today in whence a user was asking for a link to the road bike review website.

RBR won't mind, there's no one there.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Yes, we linked him to the correct forum.

LOL
    Actually this is one of the few you moved that needed to be.

I think fc said he was gonna keep the passion name as part of the new section title. The new site owner Admin who told me the name would change does not seem to be supporting the site anymore.....
    Quoted from another thread.

FC, what gives here. Is it all back in your hands again?

mtbr member
    The business model of owning a forum like this one is to sell advertising (or memberships to evade advertising). In that light it makes sense to have subforums for whatever is exciting right now. What do you do with them when they become moot or even silly? When there's nothing really exciting or new about 29ers and most bikes are 29ers and all the 29er buzz was ten years ago... do you delete it? Freeze it? There are some subforums that have no posts since this summer but there aren't any much older. Were they quietly axed?

What do you do when the traffic dies? I do come here for MTB content. Bike Forums has a MTB subforum and a fat bike subforum but they're a hundredth of this place, probably. But on the other hand I recently found where the tandem mountain bikers are mostly posting, for example, and it isn't on MTBR. The Ventana sub has six posts so far this year. But Ventana is still in business, I know. Their Facebook page updates only about once a month, but it does. Where are those owners and customers hanging out?

fc
    Quoted from another thread.

FC, what gives here. Is it all back in your hands again?
    So the owner of Mtbr is a big media site called VerticalScope based in Canada. They run a bunch of forums and enthusiast sites.

I'm the main decision maker in Mtbr, in the past and moving forward. I think Klurejr was talking to one of the forum techs helping me out. There's a couple forum experts, Kyle and Philip that will be helping with migrations and better platforms in the future. They're not cyclists though so they won't have input in the biking stuff. They're busy with other migrations right now but they will be key in getting some features later.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    The business model of owning a forum like this one is to sell advertising (or memberships to evade advertising). In that light it makes sense to have subforums for whatever is exciting right now. What do you do with them when they become moot or even silly? When there's nothing really exciting or new about 29ers and most bikes are 29ers and all the 29er buzz was ten years ago... do you delete it? Freeze it? There are some subforums that have no posts since this summer but there aren't any much older. Were they quietly axed?

What do you do when the traffic dies? I do come here for MTB content. Bike Forums has a MTB subforum and a fat bike subforum but they're a hundredth of this place, probably. But on the other hand I recently found where the tandem mountain bikers are mostly posting, for example, and it isn't on MTBR. The Ventana sub has six posts so far this year. But Ventana is still in business, I know. Their Facebook page updates only about once a month, but it does. Where are those owners and customers hanging out?
    True, true. 29er was a religion and a crusade a decade ago so it was key for the folks to have their own forum and gather. Every win was celebrated as folks and companies adopted the standard.

Anyway, that battle has been won so it's just a bike now and the subcategory is confusing. They key is to keep those folks interested and engaged.

All the dead forums like Ventana... either inject new life in them or delete/merge with others.
    IPA will save America

since 4/10/2009
    that battle has been won
    lol. as if that's what it was.

fc
    lol. as if that's what it was.
    i think they believed it to be. Right??

They kept clamoring, fighting for suspension forks and all they got were 2nd rate one. Then they got the Reba and things changed. I think Niner even named their company that because of the crusade. They're in the same predicament.
    IPA will save America

Upcyclist
    I think the regional subs should be back in "New Posts".

I've spent the majority of my life in SoCal and quite a bit in NorCal, so I like clicking on threads that interest me from those regions even tho I'm in the Midwest now. I also like to travel, so it's nice to look at current posts from regions to be traveled to. There's also some characters on the forum that I kinda follow no matter where they post, lol.

And I hate to say it, but I am interested in the what's going on in the ebike world. We've never experienced anything like them in the past.

It would be great if users could select which subs to see/not see in New Posts.
    Cool heads prevail

since 4/10/2009
    i think they believed it to be.
    I'll agree with that.

Aside from the crappy suspension in the early years, lots of aspects of them sucked. Wheels were crap. Frame geo sucked. The real battle the manufacturers had was with themselves. I'm not sure that most really ever got that part of it.

Finally they don't suck anymore. I'm not sure I'd call that "winning a battle" unless fighting yourself counts.

The thing is, I don't think wheel size experimentation is over. 26 may not be much of anything now, but it'll eventually get reborn. Tire sizes have ebbed and flowed. Wide tires were a thing for DH years ago, they weren't very good, and they went away. Now tire mfg tech has made them better, so wider tires are back with a lot more variety, less weight penalty, and better performance than they used to be. The fat bubble is popping, but it won't go away entirely. Unless you want to go through this sort of thing every decade or so, it's probably a good idea to set up site organization to handle these ebbs and flows.

Upcyclist
    26 may not be much of anything now, but it'll eventually get reborn. Tire sizes have ebbed and flowed.
    I've said this in the past and I believe it will happen. I actually just bought a bunch of new parts for a 2011 26'er that still has life left in it.

And then there's still a lot of people on 26 bikes that won't go 27.5 or 29, they could use a place to share info. Where would they post if there was a new run of 26" straight steerer forks that a company wanted to produce?
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention this idea earlier:

Merge the SoCal and AZ subforums. Yeah, I said it. Seems like everyone in Socal is quietly planning a move out of here at some point and AZ is the #1 destination. And everyone in AZ is out here at our beaches in the winter. Just sayin'

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I've said this in the past and I believe it will happen. I actually just bought a bunch of new parts for a 2011 26'er that still has life left in it.

And then there's still a lot of people on 26 bikes that won't go 27.5 or 29, they could use a place to share info. Where would they post if there was a new run of 26" straight steerer forks that a company wanted to produce?
    A forum more oriented towards general wheel discussions, or a suspension forum, or a forum geared towards more general bike discussions. Simple enough.

You could easily split forums so finely that this place would appear dead, because each discussion would wind up in its own forum. I think things need to be organized such that the specific headings meet a few criteria:
    1. The groupings intuitively make sense. People will self select to place stuff where it belongs, because it just makes sense that way. Less mess. Less work for mods. Better for everybody. Make it easier for the community as a whole to interact here.
    2. Split things off where they make sense. It's natural that some forums will get more traffic than others. If the main criteria is traffic per forum, I think the big picture is being missed. Some topics inherently have a small audience and need a bit more visibility time to get the right answers. A big thing to watch for is whether a particular forum is getting SO MUCH TRAFFIC that topics run off the first page too quickly that they don't get views. That certainly happened in the early days of mtbr and prompted, to a degree, some of the bloat here currently. If that happens, then you need to look at creating a new forum to split off some of the discussions.
    3. Just because something new comes up doesn't necessarily mean that it needs a new forum to discuss it. There's a good chance that if the forum is well organized, discussions about the new thing will fit an existing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Forgot to mention this idea earlier:

Merge the SoCal and AZ subforums. Yeah, I said it. Seems like everyone in Socal is quietly planning a move out of here at some point and AZ is the #1 destination. And everyone in AZ is out here at our beaches in the winter. Just sayin'
    LOL
    Having lived in San Diego for 25 years. We called them “Zonies”.. Every other license plate was an AZ plate on freeway 8 west bound on Friday’s and east bound on late Sundays. Who was visiting who?

I think the regional subs should be back in "New Posts".

I've spent the majority of my life in SoCal and quite a bit in NorCal, so I like clicking on threads that interest me from those regions even tho I'm in the Midwest now. I also like to travel, so it's nice to look at current posts from regions to be traveled to. There's also some characters on the forum that I kinda follow no matter where they post, lol.

And I hate to say it, but I am interested in the what's going on in the ebike world. We've never experienced anything like them in the past.

It would be great if users could select which subs to see/not see in New Posts.
    Just learn to meander from forum to forum that interests you, instead of relying on the “new posts” feature.

Upcyclist
    A forum more oriented towards general wheel discussions, or a suspension forum, or a forum geared towards more general bike discussions. Simple enough.
    I guess I'm just having a hard time imagining that. I didn't go into the 26 forum for info on my new parts, and when I was building 26" wheels I was mainly in the wheels and tires forum, so maybe you're right.

Just learn to meander from forum to forum that interests you, instead of relying on the “new posts” feature.

*I was just browsing New Posts with all the regional subs showing and then again without them. It sure seemed a lot duller without. There's lots of places I'd like to travel to, and it's a good thing to see threads about places other than your local.
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    You forgot #nomorechunk
    I think we have 2 choices here: either report and ban anyone who uses the word c*#%k or create a sub-forum dedicated to the discussion of c*#%k.

True, I never realized the regional sub forums were excluded from the “new posts” feature. Mainly because I’ve never been interested in using that feature. Makes zero sense that they would be excluded though.

Upcyclist
    True, I never realized the regional sub forums were excluded from the “new posts” feature. Mainly because I’ve never been interested in using that feature. Makes zero sense that they would be excluded though.
    They have always been included, they're trying it without them now, and it takes away a lot of content from the list. I like it way better with them included.

You cans see what's being excluded, it's right there under Search and page #:

A lot of threads are being moved - feedback?-list.jpg
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    I'm probably one of the most clueless people who browses the mtbr. I use the "New Posts" button frequently. If the thread title seems interesting, I read that thread. Seems a shame to exclude other regions from my perusal when I might very well have an interest in the subject. I mean, I'm not a mechanic, but the bosses don't exclude those subs from "New Posts". Every now and then I see something of interest there. Everything can be interesting to someone.

They have always been included, they're trying it without them now, and it takes away a lot of content from the list. I like it way better with them included.

You cans see what's being excluded, it's right there under Search and page #:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	list.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	1221129
    Interesting, I tried using that feature just now and it’s not for me. I’d rather just jump from forum to forum that interests me. Strange though that they would exclude the regional forums.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    26er is going to become it's own subculture with folks sharing info about the good ole days, parts and availability.
    This is the type of attitude that has led to fragmentation around here over the years, and overall frustration. There are people that still ride their 26" wheeled bikes because they prefer them - not because we are luddites, cheap, unenlightened, or whatever. I don't think they deserve a separate forum (nor do 29"ers at this point either), but maybe stop shitting on them all the time?
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

fc
    Point taken on the 'new threads' test of the modification. We'll back it out for now until it can get more configurability and options.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    New Passion forum name is:

Riding Passion and Stories.

And then drop it down alphabetically. Is that cool? I have like 5 other titles. We can take a poll if needed.

fc
    IPA will save America

since 4/10/2009
    Point taken on the 'new threads' test of the modification. We'll back it out for now until it can get more configurability and options.

fc
    Would be GREAT if folks could have checkboxes to filter "New Posts" in a multitude of ways. Only stuff they've commented on (like the tapatalk feature I mentioned), filter out certain forums, by date, etc, etc. Almost like an advanced search that works (without the keyword stuff).

mtbr member
    26 is not dead, 26 is life!

Also, this is a pretty great thread. The user feedback here and forum mod discussion has been civil and seemingly productive. Kudos to the posters for a good read and conversation. Carry on.... whoops, I 'meant... Roll on.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post

Also, this is a pretty great thread. The user feedback here and forum mod discussion has been civil and seemingly productive. Kudos to the posters for a good read and conversation. Carry on.... whoops, I 'meant... Roll on.
    Overall we’ve got a good community. Somewhat civil at times and other times a bit moody.

FC, I like the new Passion forum name.

fc
    Would be GREAT if folks could have checkboxes to filter "New Posts" in a multitude of ways. Only stuff they've commented on (like the tapatalk feature I mentioned), filter out certain forums, by date, etc, etc. Almost like an advanced search that works (without the keyword stuff).
    For sure!! We'll see what the new platform has for us. I think that will happen in the winter.

For now, hopefully I can to default to 'view all new posts' and have links for 'new tech', 'new regional', 'new manufacturers'.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    This is the type of attitude that has led to fragmentation around here over the years, and overall frustration. There are people that still ride their 26" wheeled bikes because they prefer them - not because we are luddites, cheap, unenlightened, or whatever. I don't think they deserve a separate forum (nor do 29"ers at this point either), but maybe stop shitting on them all the time?
    Right on, sorry about that. I'm more referring to good old days of parts and availability.

I'm trying to update two 26er bikes right now and man, it's a pain test of forks and wheelsets. Tires too.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post

Yeah, it's been a great exchange. We'll do what we can on this end. Your part, and the mods too is to... post and share more!!!
    IPA will save America

Sneaker man
    I'd would have said, before you do ANYTHING maybe send out a forum message notification or something to say, hey we're going to be making some changes to how stuff is organised...rather than just changing stuff so when people log in they know whats going on...not everyone looks at this thread...

oh wait...too late.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I'd would have said, before you do ANYTHING maybe send out a forum message notification or something to say, hey we're going to be making some changes to how stuff is organised...rather than just changing stuff so when people log in they know whats going on...not everyone looks at this thread...

oh wait...too late.
    Good point, I just fielded a thread in the OC where a member was confused after trying to find Passion and started a thread about it over there. I let him [them] in on what was going on.

Pro Crastinator
    With a better organized website, the mods wouldn't need to be involved as much. The disorganization and inconsistency that fc has allowed for too long creates this problem.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    i miss the old days where you didn't need a log-in and the flame wars lasted forever...

and every thread would get hundreds or replies...

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i miss the old days where you didn't need a log-in and the flame wars lasted forever...

You need to log in every time? I don’t, and yes the old days did rule.

Upcyclist

Was there a lot of flamers back then?
    Cool heads prevail

Pro Crastinator
    Here's a suggestion -

Tapatalk has a function that I use OFTEN that I wish the website version of the forum had. A quick link that showed me a list of threads I've participated in that have new responses. I'd still be thrilled if it was just a filter option for "New Posts" where I could check a box and it would just show me threads I've participated in.
    the 'settings' tab takes you right to this magical place you seek...

Pro Crastinator
    You need to log in every time? I don’t, and yes the old days did rule.
    no, back then you could just pick any name to post under. you didn't need a registered handle...

Was there a lot of flamers back then?
    There was everything back then.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    ..All the dead forums like Ventana... either inject new life in them or delete/merge with others.
    FC, by the way, thanks again, and I know I've said this before, but thanks for the Surly section. In your honest opinion as it been worth the addition? I like how it has a reasonable amount of traffic and activity but think honestly that All City is now stealing that thunder even though both are essentially QBP.

since 4/10/2009
    the 'settings' tab takes you right to this magical place you seek...
    Only if you "subscribe" to every thread in which you post. which I do not, because that starts doing other things I don't like.

Pro Crastinator
    you must have done something. by default, you are automatically subscribed to any thread you post in. you have to unsubscribe...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Since you're taking requests, please consider putting bread crumbs (links back to the forum page) at the bottom of threads.

The user experience of having to scroll all the way back to the top (especially in mobile) to find links back is just not very good. Sure, you could just click back, but then the forum page doesn't update to show that you've read a thread.

Thanks!

FC, maybe make a sticky at the top of General at least, maybe other forums as well with a link to the new “Passion Ride” forum. Just to let people know about it.

Upcyclist
    FC, maybe make a sticky at the top of General at least, maybe other forums as well with a link to the new “Passion Ride” forum. Just to let people know about it.
    Passion Ride?
    Cool heads prevail

since 4/10/2009
    you must have done something. by default, you are automatically subscribed to any thread you post in. you have to unsubscribe...
    Yes. I turned that shit off because I didn't like it. I DO like having an option to click on a link to see stuff I've participated in. I do NOT like being notified about all of them.

Cycologist
    Yes. I turned that shit off because I didn't like it. I DO like having an option to click on a link to see stuff I've participated in. I do NOT like being notified about all of them.

Same here, that drove me crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Pro Crastinator

notifications and subscriptions are 2 different monsters. for me, a click on the settings tab brings all subscribed threads up for a quick glance at any topic i've participated in. notifications on the other hand, i do not receive for anything...

Pro Crastinator
    either way, i'm not trying to argue. i just find it funny that the default for me, is exactly what you wish you had...

since 4/10/2009
    notifications and subscriptions are 2 different monsters. for me, a click on the settings tab brings all subscribed threads up for a quick glance at any topic i've participated in. notifications on the other hand, i do not receive for anything...
    I save subs for limited topics I want quick access to. Not everything I talk about.

Pro Crastinator
    for me, the subs fall off after about 12 hours of inactivity...

(edit: or possibly less. right now i can only see unread threads as far as three hours back. anything other than that is not showing, because i've already seen it and it has had no recent responses)

Passion Ride?
    That’s shorthand for “Riding Passion and Stories”, jeesh!

Upcyclist
    That’s shorthand for “Riding Passion and Stories”, jeesh!
    I was just being an idiot, gosh!

Maybe a message banner at the top of the forum telling everyone about the changes?
    Cool heads prevail

I was just being an idiot, gosh!
    So was I, phew!

Maybe a message banner at the top of the forum telling everyone about the changes?
    Yeah, that’s better than a sticky.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    So seeing as this thread has gone this far, technically doesn't this topic belong in Logistics or would it be Semantics? Heeheehee

since 4/10/2009
    for me, the subs fall off after about 12 hours of inactivity...

(edit: or possibly less. right now i can only see unread threads as far as three hours back. anything other than that is not showing, because i've already seen it and it has had no recent responses)
    There is also a separate section where you can manage which threads you're subscribed to, whether there are new posts or not. I like to keep that list manageable. And THOSE are the threads I actually do want notifications about.

I understand the tools available to me. I just use them differently than you do, apparently. And I'm allowed to do that. I'd still like to be able to see a filtered list of threads I've responded to that have new posts on occasion, without scrapping a method that I like and does work for me.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    So seeing as this thread has gone this far, technically doesn't this topic belong in Logistics or would it be Semantics? Heeheehee
    More like pedantic, or is that just your post? hehe (also, the joke's already been made)

Now then, so far I've only gotten slightly confused with the new layout since I hadn't read the latest posts talking about renaming Passion to whatever it is that I've forgotten again. Must be naptime. Anyway, off to a good start!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    More like pedantic, or is that just your post? hehe (also, the joke's already been made)
    Get it right, it's morally objectionable apathetic pendantics. There's a reason for the love/hate when dealing w me and my commentary.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Klurejr specializes in overmoderation. This is just the most recent expression of it.
    Wow. If you think that's over moderation, you should check out the Steve Hoffman music boards. You say something even remotely untoward and your post/thread will get binned. We're kind of spoiled here.
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

Let's just wheelie!
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Wow. If you think that's over moderation, you should check out the Steve Hoffman music boards. You say something even remotely untoward and your post/thread will get binned. We're kind of spoiled here.
    I suppose on a music board over moderation is better than overmodulation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Things are fine as is.

Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    Things are fine as is.
    Did you mean “were fine the way it was”?

Candlestick Maker
    https://youtu.be/5IsSpAOD6K8
    baker

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyontheTrail View Post
    I suppose on a music board over moderation is better than overmodulation.
    Your sharp reply left me flat! Those kinds of responses could get you in treble.

"...rhetorical hyperbole..."

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Your sharp reply left me flat! Those kinds of responses could get you in treble.

Do you have to say that with so much bass?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That is what I meant...

but I don't know why I felt compelled to weigh in. This isn't my battle. I'm out!
    Cheers everybody!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12