Trip the Bike Fantastic

Are your ribs broken?

Broke my ribs for the second time in a year. This latest episode isn't nearly the bonecrusher '07 was, but enough to put a serious cramp in my style (pun intended). I am able to ride, but bumps do not feel good - so it's roads and fireroads for me for awhile... 6-8 weeks, according to Kaiser. Last year I had to sleep in a chair for 2 weeks This time, I can't turn to my side or raise my arms without pain, but it's sufferable.

Anyone else nursing this injury? How'z it going? Mend up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm not nursing broken ribs now

but I did a long time ago. I remember not being able to get up from a sitting position or laughing without crying. My friends kept cracking jokes and I became this serious guy, no laughing for me! Ouch!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    Hi Stripes - I remember when you had that accident. Left rib and right wrist - you must have really gone pretzel on us!

The weird contortions are really something. I have a very specific way to get in and out of bed now, rolling half over, hoisting myself up on my elbows and knees, shimmying off the bedside. I suppose it's kind of funny from the outside. I look like I'm initiating some animal mating ritual. Or directing bees to the nearest honeypot.

And yes, speaking of being funny, laughing is no fun. Although I can snicker OK - just no bellylaughs. Which means no South Park, Reno 911, Fox & Friends...

Pollen is nature's big joke on me now. Can't even put a number on how many sneezes I've had to stifle. Yowza!

Oh the memories. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Cracked my ribs in October and then fell again about 6 weeks ago onto the same place; not hard and onto a soft muddy field but nevertheless that was really OUCH. This time had X-Rays etc. so the break was confirmed but the treatment is no different...just rest. Sleeping sitting up for a while and now only on one side - rolling onto the other still wakes me up. Now I am thinking of getting back on the bike and wondering if I should get some body armour - any thoughts on that? Restricting myself to on-road would be last resort only.

mtbr member
    I managed to break my ribs twice last year, first the right side and about 4 months later the left side. Pretty much sucked.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

mtbr member
    We won't even talk about laughing or coughing. Ow. Ow. Ow.
    Sneezing! I was almost healed up. I avoided sneezes by using a technique of pinching my noze and breathing real shallow. Well, there I was with my noze pinched, and the sneeze came anyway. All the sneeze reflected back against the ribs. 3-more weeks of pain for me!

Dave.
    BikesCarsRacing.net
    I'm here for a good time not a long time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

no but thanks for asking

no mine are not broken.

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by jibboo
    Well, there I was with my noze pinched, and the sneeze came anyway. All the sneeze reflected back against the ribs. 3-more weeks of pain for me!

Dave.
    OMG, you imploded. This is my biggest fear.

Last night I was moving the cutting board over to the stovetop and bumped the whole dam thing against my rib. ROTF.

Lucky for me, Schadenfreude eases the pain.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XEesj4ZWoHY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XEesj4ZWoHY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Jumper
    I broke mine about a week ago. After seven days, I feel about 5% better. WTF. I broke my tailbone this past Dec and now this. The thing about it is that after I took the tumble on a limestone downhill, I took the few seconds to get my breath and then I was off again riding. Felt bruised up but not too bad. When I got home that evening, dam the pain. I couldnt sleep on my right side. Popping Advil like crazy. I am in the Army, so I started by PT Mon, Tues, by Wed the pain had gotten worse. Doc told me no more excercise for me other than walking.
    I think I will try and hit the trail again next weekend, but will not be aggressive. Hell, today, I tried to max out the stationary bike at the gym (level 15, just one level short).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had my ribs cracked. At night didn't see a stone behind a rock I rode over on the trail. Hit the stone and took an endo, landing on my chest, in a crushed frog position. It took 1 month to heal, seems to be the industrial standard for this kind of injury.