be nice to spiders

xray of my lumpy hand

i broke the fourth metacarpal last year mt. biking, and all i got were these lousy screws.
    this year i broke the fourth again and the fifth while downhilling.
    it was a very bad day, as i recall...
    recovery is a *****. i empathize with anyone who is sidelined.

donna
    Attached Images Attached Images

Double-metric mtb man
    Ow, D! That sux!

Here's hoping you heal up soon
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

be nice to spiders

it's all good now, uh, a bit crooked though...

lol! ah mike, it's all good now - it was back in august.
    the pinky dangles a bit, but i can grip my handlebars quite well.

drunken pirate
    i broke my 4th metacarpel in a spill two sunday's ago

it isn't a bad break and i'm just in a splint (well, i've already taken it off) and i'm hoping to be riding again by the first of the year but really don't know when it will be. the doctors say 4 weeks to completly heal but i wonder if that will be long enough for me to be riding singletrack on my fully rigid bike . i tried to grab my grip today and couldn't.

any advice is greatly appreciated. i might try and post my xray later today.

mtbr member
    hmm, that xray looks familiar, 'cept I broke my 2nd metacarpal and only had 2 pins. after almost 3 months I'm anticipating my first real ride since I broke it in a crash. this time it had a different effect on me than my last several injuries (it didn't help that I broke my dominant hand and was in a massive cast for 4 weeks after surgery). I need to stay healthy for a while.

heal up fast peeps.

Double-metric mtb man
    D'oh...I see that on the x-ray now...

Glad to hear you're healed just the same
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

drunken pirate
    here is my xray. it didn't scan too good but if you look closely you can see the break. i'm hoping it heals fast.

be nice to spiders

no cast?

driftwood,
    having experienced a broken hand twice in two years, i have to ask - why on earth wasn't your hand casted? you then at least can (if you are careful) ride a road bike.
    (your doctor wouldn't recommend it, but you will be careful, won't you?)
    you have to be mindful of over-compensating with an injury so that it doesn't lead to back or knee problems, so stretch deep and stay balanced.
    i had a spiral fracture the first time (hence lovely hardware) but the second time i desperately wanted to avoid surgery. my hand now looks a little funny, and i can't quite extend my pinky all the way, but for me it was worth being able to bike after 6 weeks. i know that sounds sick, but as many of you know, the effects of inactivity on our mental health is much worse.
    during the first break, though, i did do a lot of trail running.
    it's like mt. biking, but without a bike...lol!
    driftwood - bottom line - please don't try to grip your bar - let that sucker heal for six weeks.
    you will heal very soon!

drunken pirate
    um, i don't know why it wasn't casted... i'm sort of hoping because it isn't a bad break... honestly if i could ride a road bike i wouldn't take it easy. i was putting in lots of long hours all season long and there is nothing i would like more than to go and hammer out 75 miles right now

to make matters worse i'm a carpenter by trade and obviously can't work. gotta learn to use my left hand.

i am going to start trail running. gonna go buy some shoes today and start checking out all the trails bikes aren't allowed on