mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Wrist injury after trying to learn to bunny hop

I was ecstatic to ride my bike last Saturday after getting it converted to tubeless. I thought I was ready to try and learn the bunny hop, after watching a few YouTube videos on bunny hopping a mountain bike.

Surely, I was able to make the bike airborne. But I paid the price of a broken wrist. I was prepared for everything except for the hand-to-grips impact on landing. None of those YouTube videos mentioned nor gave caution about this.

Maybe it's because I've sprained that wrist before. But it's a lot painful this time. The previous time I sprained my wrist, I was still able to lift some weights with my hand. But this time, I can't even twist my hand more than 20 degrees in either direction without feeling any pain.

I think I also did a stupid mistake of trying to shake the pain by massaging and stretching my hand in every direction immediately after I start feeling the pain.

I had my wife wrap it with a bandage to somehow remind me to limit my movement, and wait for my wrist to heal by itself. I'm not planning on seeing a doctor because my group insurance provider sucks (and got worse at the start of this year).

Is one week recovery a possibility doing it this way?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Remember R-I-C-E. I would limit your use of it as much as possible, and see a Dr. if it really bothers you. Watch for excessive swelling. They may prescribe an anti-inflammatory to help too. Get better!

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation