Thread: Wrist injury

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Wrist injury

Last week I took a pretty nasty spill in an old riverbed that was full of jagged rocks and oddly shaped boulders. Immediately I noticed the worst pain was from my left wrist, but didn't feel like anything was broken so I continued on my way and stomached the pain. The next morning I woke up and couldn't pick up my phone off the nightstand. Any sort of twisting motion like opening a door was excruciating with the most intense pain on the ulnar side under the lumpy bone. I took it easy for a few days, and the pain subsided for the most part but the progress has plateaued for the past few days. The wrist clicks and pops a lot and it still feels too unstable to bear my full weight. Is this going to get better on its own or at what point should I see a doctor?

what the quan?!
    You should get it xray'd man. Go to one of those urgent care places. They will let you know right away- and they are generally super cheap too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    X-ray may not reveal a fracture, but an MRI will. I had the same fall on June 12. Went to my doc the same day and x-ray revealed nothing. I still had swelling after 2 and 1/2 weeks so I went for an MRI. I had no pain and I had regained full range of motion, swelling was however still on. Did ride my bike 4 times in these 3 weeks. Finally went for the doc appointment, pretty pissed at the doc who knew the results from the MRI, but never called me for 9 days, to be told my wrist is broken. Oh well, it's been 2 weeks since then and I am going for another x-ray this Thursday. Hopefully I can be cleared for riding.
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Feel your pain, broke my wrist yesterday after hitting a stepdown way too slow, would tell you more but the next thing I remember was seeing a buddy outside the abulence. After X-rays I found out my wrist was broken, but my spine was fine, which was the biggest concern. I gotta be off my bike for 6 weeks min. Ticked off a bit, missing the last race of the AB cup