Thread: Wrist Brace?

hummm

New question here. Wrist Brace?

I have broken my left wrist twice in the last six months. First time it was motocross (radius & ulna), and the second time I rolled my car going down the interstate (scaphoid). I was wondering if and one had a recommended wrist brace—perception or off the shelf. Any input is welcomed!!
    Last edited by motocrsser83; 03-06-2008 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I had surgery on my left wrist about two years ago. Sometimes I still have quite a bit of pain and need to wear a brace.

A couple manufacturers make an ace bandage type of wrist wrap that you can buy in the weight training section at your friendly neighborhood sporting goods store. I've ridden with that a couple times and it seems to help. The only issue is it isn't a very stiff brace (i.e. your wrist still moves). Works great for riding and you can still wear a glove with it, but it tends to work its way backwards up the forearm so you need to rewrap it every few miles.

I also have a rigid brace that has a piece of aluminum that goes about a third of the way up the forearm and curves up the bottom of the palm of my hand. This is a great brace since it essentially keeps the wrist 100% immobile. It is a bit cumbersome and really hinders the movement of the hand/fingers. I've worn it while lifting weights without an issue, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to wear while riding. They only cost around 10-20 bucks at Walgreens...so you could always give it a shot to see how you like it.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I researched wrist braces while recovering from my own broken wrist

and actually bought a pair from EVS (the WB01). It was about as comfortable as a wrist brace can be (meaning kinda cumbersome and uncomfortable). I then read a comment from a guy who worked at at a ski area doing searchandrescue and he said...if you put a secure brace on a part like your wrist and have another crash forceful enough to maybe break your wrist again, the forces would be transferred somewhere else on your arm/hand and that part would break.

So...he advised wrapping the area with an elastic bandage to maybe 70% immobilize it so that when you do crash again the forces of the crash will be spread out. Made sense to me and I stopped wearing the brace and wrapped for awhile. Now I don't wrap at all. It's been about a year and a half since my surgery.
    Last edited by xcguy; 03-12-2008 at 06:03 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

hummm
    I was looking at something like this. Does any one have any experience with a brace like this. They are very common in motocross, just wondering if any one has tried them whilst biking.