Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012

WOW! Broken ankle.

Wow!

That is what I have heard from every doctor that looks at the X-rays.

Here's what happened...I was just headed out for a quick spin in the neighborhood, hit the street just out of the driveway and pulled a manual and went back, couldn't unclip my right, unclipped the left and didn't get it down correctly and gravity took care of the rest.
    I dislocated the ankle joint and broke the Tib and Fib at the ankle and a third part of the Fib is just floating. My foot was pointing (if viewed looking down) at about 8:00 and hanging off the end of my leg. The follow up Ortho surgeon said it was the worst break without being compound he has ever seen!

I ride hard and aggressively and have crashed numerous times. The worst recent injury I had was a dislocated right shoulder, and that happened on some singletrack. I just can't believe that something so simple (I have pulled hundreds of manuals before) could cause such a injury. I am definitely changing my riding style and the trails I ride even though this last one happened in front of the house (I am very thankful that it did though!) as either the bike or the rider is down for repairs!

Just thought that I would share as I lay in bed, awaiting surgery next Wednesday.

I can't help but think my diet and health had something to do with it.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Broken ankle

I had an almost identical experience. Got stuck in my toe clips on my right ankle. Accident was very similar as well. I too would ride on the trails aggressively, but injury occurred at a campground goofing around on a little 2 ft hill.
    Docs said the same about my injury. Two things to do / watch for.
    1) Make sure the ankle is set straight after Surgery. EXACTLY STRAIGHT!! I have a small offset and I can't tell you how much that has affected my lifestyle. The Hugh flat studded platform pedals nowadays make it almost un-noticeable when biking though
    2) Do the re-hab! I did it on my own, and that delayed Recovery! That leg even today is weaker than my left still.
    Good luck. I have no pain at all, not even aches and it's been 10 years. People told me I would have pain in older / later years, but just not true.
    Take care.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by RideNShine View Post
    Wow!

That is what I have heard from every doctor that looks at the X-rays.

Here's what happened...I was just headed out for a quick spin in the neighborhood, hit the street just out of the driveway and pulled a manual and went back, couldn't unclip my right, unclipped the left and didn't get it down correctly and gravity took care of the rest.
    I dislocated the ankle joint and broke the Tib and Fib at the ankle and a third part of the Fib is just floating. My foot was pointing (if viewed looking down) at about 8:00 and hanging off the end of my leg. The follow up Ortho surgeon said it was the worst break without being compound he has ever seen!

I ride hard and aggressively and have crashed numerous times. The worst recent injury I had was a dislocated right shoulder, and that happened on some singletrack. I just can't believe that something so simple (I have pulled hundreds of manuals before) could cause such a injury. I am definitely changing my riding style and the trails I ride even though this last one happened in front of the house (I am very thankful that it did though!) as either the bike or the rider is down for repairs!

Just thought that I would share as I lay in bed, awaiting surgery next Wednesday.

I can't help but think my diet and health had something to do with it.

Ya mean kinda like this:

I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    MTNBIKEJ

How long after surgery were you able to be back to work?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by RideNShine View Post
    MTNBIKEJ

How long after surgery were you able to be back to work?
    I work in construction, so I was off for about 5 1/2 months.....I went back as soon as I was cleared from the Ortho.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012

update

Well it's been almost 3 mo's since the injury and recovery is a nuisance I'm quickly getting stir crazy! I had surgery scheduled for 1-16 but even with "premium" BCBSofAZ health insurance the anticipated cost to me is about $2,500 to remove a pin (it's holding the Tib/Fib joint together at the ankle until the ligament tissue has healed, my injury ripped this tissue completely from each bone, most ankle breaks don't have this associative injury) that should be removed to prevent future issues. I cannot afford the upfront costs of 50% so I canceled the surgery. In patients who have elected to leave the pin in, the pin usually breaks 95% of the time. When this happens, the pin may come loose and possibly become a nuisance if it becomes dislodged. Only time will tell, I will just use it easily, hope for a complete recovery.

BTW it was set nearly perfectly, and I have what I feel is about 90% range of motion in the joint.

morrisix,
    I had broken my right Tib and Fib and had it fixated at the Carl T Hayden VA Hospital and they didn't set it straight (right foot points to the outside by about 15 deg. This is a nuisance cause my right heel hits/rubs the crank (I ride clip less) and it makes unclipping the right foot slightly harder than the left. It also causes me to stub my foot/little toe frequently. I am fortunately married to someone who works for a imaging center so I have free access to keep an eye on the ankle pin, and we know most of the partner Dr's personally.

Also to add, I had a bone density test done and BINGO!! I have about a 40% loss which is recoverable due to what caused it (excessive fructose consumption) so I will be under advisement of the Ortho Dr. till I have fully recovered. He has made the recommendation to continue with the sport but with a far less aggressive nature. He (being a mountain biker himself) said that cycling offers what he feels is a flexible, low "joint" impact, cardio/endurance exercise. I would agree.
    Personal quote: "If at first you don't succeed, critically re-think it and do."