Thread: Wiped out...

mtbr member

Wiped out... broken collar bone

The weather was beautiful today - hit 61F in central Arkansas today. I was feeling a little under the weather today, but no way in hell was I going to miss a great riding day. I left the house on the road bike and came back in a car. About 12 miles or so into my ride today, I made a 90 degree right turn around 15-20 MPH. I guess I lost traction on some fine sand that was left from the snow storm last week. I went down and cracked my helmet in two places and couldn't move my arm. I got lucky and crashed in front of a police officer who helped me off the road. By sheer luck, one of the local bike shop guys was driving by and took me to the ER and took my bike on to the shop. I broke my right clavicle and I'm going to be off the bike for a while. I'm hoping in a few weeks, I might be able to ride the indoor trainer for some easy spinning to get the blood flowing again. When all is well, how much loss of muscle coordination should I expect in my right arm. It's going to be in a sling for minute or two.
    Last edited by bluebomberx; 02-13-2007 at 06:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Is it unrealistic to be prepared to start the season 66 days from now?

Double-metric mtb man
    Depends on the severity of the break. If it is a relatively "nice" break, you may be back on the bike (though at a reduced pace) by then. If it was a "nasty" break, you may be a fair bit longer before you're riding again.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Went to the doc yesterday and got a new figure-8 type support instead of the sling - it’s like a backpack without the pack. It’s strange, but uplifting, as the old sling kind of gave me a mental block that I was crippled. The bad thing is that the new support has removed this mental block that I’m crippled, so trial and error begins again. As long as all goes well, I should make the start of the season in April. I have to buy a new helment and team jersey since I destroyed the last ones. I’m cleared for the indoor trainer and stationary bikes. I have a follow-up in five weeks at which time I may or may not be cleared for the great outdoors.

Three sheets to the wind
    Welcome to the club, you should be up and riding by your next doctors appointment...