bust a move

No good Wife crashed hard yesterday

We went to ride a one year old trail that we had not ridden yet. A fun but challenging techy up & down kinda trail that when joined with the existing trail now makes a 18 mile out and back. Well, we were just a little over 2 miles from the finish when my wife lost traction on the front wheel in just the type spot that caused her to slam her left side of her body into the ground as hard as I have seen anyone crash in 13 years of biking. She never lost consciousness but she struck her helmet, jaw, ear, shoulder (that is the worst), breast, ribs, hip and knee. She was absolutely not happy at all (reminded me of myself) about me wanting to call 911. I relented after I was pretty sure she did not have a head injury and I could tell she had no obvious broken bones. I made her ice the shoulder yesterday afternoon and evening while hoping she would take the day off from work today. She did not but I at least got her to agree to get a work in appt. with the doctor this afternoon. She is a good rider but sometimes bad wrecks happen anyway...be careful out there!
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 04-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Snap Crackle Pop
    Wow, hope your wife checks out ok. That sounds like it was a pretty hard fall. My wife was out for the second time on her bike yesterday and grabbed a little too much of both brakes as she was slowing to a stop. It launched her off the seat and onto the top tube but kinda sideways. She now has a baseball size bruise on her thigh and a couple of small ones next to it. She told me she could ride today but we weren't able to get out together. Again, really hope your wife checks out ok.

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
    Wow, hope your wife checks out ok. That sounds like it was a pretty hard fall. My wife was out for the second time on her bike yesterday and grabbed a little too much of both brakes as she was slowing to a stop. It launched her off the seat and onto the top tube but kinda sideways. She now has a baseball size bruise on her thigh and a couple of small ones next to it. She told me she could ride today but we weren't able to get out together. Again, really hope your wife checks out ok.
    Thanks, she saw the dr. and has a severely bruised and sprained shoulder (grade I/II) and a badly bruised hip. This morning she said even her spine was sore. She was much better today than I feared she would be but I expect her to be feeling that crash for a while yet.

Too bad about your wife's on the bike crash, they can be painful too. Gotta love that they want to get back on the bike
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 04-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Snap Crackle Pop
    Quote Originally Posted by pitanan View Post
    Thanks, she saw the dr. and has a severely bruised and sprained shoulder (grade I/II) and a badly bruised hip. This morning she said even her spine was sore. She was much better today than I feared she would be but I expect her to be feeling that crash for a while yet.

Too bad about your wife's on the bike crash, they can be painful too. Gotta love that they want to get back on the bike

Looks like good news all things considered.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear she is ok !!! That very same thing just happened to me tonight. I hit a root and my front tire washed out so fast and then I was on the ground before I knew it. It was if the bike just threw me to the ground and I hit so hard the bar locked across the top tube and I had to loosen my brake levers to staighten the bars back up...

Glad she is ok though and like a guy once told me- if your not wrecking your not learning

official eMpTyBRain
    Yikes!!! Sorry to hear this. I hope she has a smooth recovery!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

bust a move
    Thanks guys!

I needed to post an update, she is just very fortune in terms of how fast she is recovering and that the injuries weren't more severe. The range of motion she has gotten back to the shoulder is very good even though there is still a lump. She is healthy and I think that helps one bounce back.

cigarlover, good thing you didn't bust something yourself tonight!
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

Tossin the salad.
    Great to hear a fast recovery.
    She's not giving up MTB'ing right?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter View Post
    Great to hear a fast recovery.
    She's not giving up MTB'ing right?
    Thanks and no way! It happened on a Sunday and she actually rode 6 miles gently on a bike path the following Tues. She said this morning that she thinks she wants to try a little mtb next weekend. We have an epic mtb trip planned in just over a month and it looked sketchy when this first happened, now, I think she will be fine! I told her that would have been sad to have to go without her

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Man, those "surprise" crashes when your front wheel washes out are the worst. No time to organize a controlled landing. Your whole body gets jellied. Glad to hear that she not more seriously hurt--although a jarring crash like that can take longer to recover from than expected.

mtbr member
    I had a very severly bruised hip from a nasty fall (I'll spare you the pictures) and was off the bike for a little over 2 weeks, but I came back better than ever. Tell your wife to take it and she will be back before ya know it!
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My wife has expressed some interest in MTB but this is the type of thing that makes me tentative to buy her a bike. Somebody has to take care of our child and as a newbie myself, I'm coming home from pretty much every ride cut and bruised.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SJKevin View Post
    My wife has expressed some interest in MTB but this is the type of thing that makes me tentative to buy her a bike. Somebody has to take care of our child and as a newbie myself, I'm coming home from pretty much every ride cut and bruised.
    That's pretty F'ed up. Somebody has to take care of your child? Take care of your own damn child. You won't have to worry about getting scraped up that way.

bust a move
    I told her of all the best wishes and we both appreciate the kind words.

SJKevin, that was the third "bad" biking crash in 12 years. One of those was my fault on a rail trail and thankfully she was fortunate to recover quickly from those as well. This crash was on a "most difficult" rated trail. Overall, I would say it is a much healthier activity than a dangerous one.

I4NI
    YES it does happen. Hope she gets well soon
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Grip it and rip it.
    This is useless without pictorial evidence :P
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com