MTB Withdrawal
    Aug 2006

Whiplash from bad landing.

Exactly what it sounds like. I was practicing 3.5 foot drops to flat (at enough speed to clear more than two feet from the ledge), and on my last landing before I went home, I came up hyperventilating and about to faint.

Fearing a concussion, I do some (extremely uncoordinated) research on it, and it looks like that's what I got.

Not very cool, but not too bad either, I hope. Everything else in my head/neck area seems to be ok. But I still can barely walk straight and my coordination is pretty bad right now. Normally I can do complex tricks w/ my Zippo (I've got two, a fueled up one for fire and an empty one for practice), but I could barely even do the most routine things just now.

Good thing theres only one more day of school before Thanksgiving break....
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Completely off topic, please ignore.

mtbr member

Don't mess around

Quote Originally Posted by TehSuck
    Exactly what it sounds like. I was practicing 3.5 foot drops to flat (at enough speed to clear more than two feet from the ledge), and on my last landing before I went home, I came up hyperventilating and about to faint.

Fearing a concussion, I do some (extremely uncoordinated) research on it, and it looks like that's what I got.

Not very cool, but not too bad either, I hope. Everything else in my head/neck area seems to be ok. But I still can barely walk straight and my coordination is pretty bad right now. Normally I can do complex tricks w/ my Zippo (I've got two, a fueled up one for fire and an empty one for practice), but I could barely even do the most routine things just now.

I wouldn't laugh too much about things! It certainly sounds llike you could have a had a concussion and may be having some other upper cervical issues. Losing your balance and being dizzy is not "normal". If you are having these symptoms, you may want to get them cleared, soon.
    Your head and your melon are not the areas that you want to wait on. Other more unfortunate people have not woken up the next day from similar things! I don't mean to sound like chiken little, but I just don't mess with these areas.
    If your symptoms are not improving by the minute, I may go in if I were you!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you'd be silly not to get this checked out. you said you're in school, at the very least, go to the school doc and see what s/he thinks about it.

MTB Withdrawal
    Aug 2006
    It's all good now, I hope. I was in good enough shape to see Bond yesterday (which is great, BTW!). I spent all of today w/ my friends camping for a Wii (which is great too!)

If anything, I've lost my appetite... well, I guess it's easier than being a weight weenie on my bike.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    If you really did proper research on the subject you would've understood the importance of seeking immediate medical attention at the time of the accident. But hey, at least by not doing so put you in the running for a Darwin Award. That's gotta be good, right? Seriously though, you need to at the very least inform an adult, your parents for instance, about what happened. A bunch of strangers on the internet doesn't count.
    Last edited by Mr.Bob; 11-19-2006 at 09:39 AM.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

MTB Withdrawal
    Aug 2006
    I did let my mom know. She just said that it couldn't have been tooooo bad and told me to get some rest. Then again, I am Chinese, so my mom has this rather skewed sense of triage.

But really, I'm a lot better now. It probably wasn't too bad. We'll see in the coming weeks.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

mtbr member

Good to hear

I did let my mom know. She just said that it couldn't have been tooooo bad and told me to get some rest. Then again, I am Chinese, so my mom has this rather skewed sense of triage.

But really, I'm a lot better now. It probably wasn't too bad. We'll see in the coming weeks.
    If you are still having ANY dizziness/nause/vision/balance issues or any ongoing headaches, you need to at least see somebody to clear some neuro/cervical things.

Not something to joke around about.
    BoiseBoy

MTB Withdrawal
    Aug 2006
    Well, I rode 15 miles today, no problem. I guess that's got to count for something.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Gimme my MOJO!

I'm chinese too, but thats no excuse. Seriously, dont screw around with crap like that. Take matters into your own hands. If your mom isnt worried, then go see the doc by yourself. Sometimes these things happen so gradually you wont notice, until you wake up in a very light misty place with people flying around.
    Please, for everyones sake, just get it checked out. At least, like one poster said, have it checked by the school doc.

2006 Yeti AS-X

Better to get checked out and find out things are fine than to not get checked out and end up in a bad situation.

My brother in law in Nov 2006 had chest pain and didn't go into the doctor, he was dead the next day. His reasoning was he didn't have insurance and couldn't afford to go to the hospital. Now, he is in the ground. Not trying to sound morbid but there are things that you can't afford to ignore. Chest pain and head injuries are two of those things.