Hard as nails

We the people ... When Trees attack....

Well here I am posting on the rider down forum. I am a young 43 yr old that tried to dodge a tree. Over the 4.20 weekend I was riding some Dh in N GA area. On my third run, I took a drop into a steep tranny to fast and landing deep in the tranny. That would normally be ok except for the sharp right turn at the bottom - after trying to brake hard and the subsequent lock up and slide - I realized my fate with this particular tree that was near the apex of the turn.

So in the milli seconds I had to think about the impending danger, I determined that I would fare better if I attempt to ditch the bike just prior to impact. (Prolly traveling around) 20mph or so) As Impact neared, in one motion I pushed the bike towards the tree while trying the eject myself to the left of the tree. The PLAN would have worked out perfectly. I hit perpendicular (or close to perpendicular) on the tree with the outside lower leg. That impact should have just kinda spun me off the tree except that my BIKE got in the way. My lower leg (just below the knee) was held in place by the bike and tree after the impact - but my upper body continued the momentum and my knee popped out, yup dislocation.

I landed on my back and could not feel my lower leg, I looked down to see my leg pointing in a direction that did not jive! I moved in a motion to look away and my knee POPPED back into place on its own, OUCH I lied there and until my boy could pull me up from the side of the hill I was on. After 10mins or so I rode down the hill hitting only a couple of the jumps alng the way - The creek jump was after the accident (Red Helmet/Black Dirtbag). My wife was waiting to take pic at the bottom of the run and did not know I was injured at the time.

The Dx is a complete tear of the MCL at the insertion point on the femur and two small fartures on the heads of the tibia and femur. 6-8 weeks with no surgery if I keep her braced (Lateral knee immobilizer) and follow treatment plan.

Whew, I was scared because I have a trip already booked for Snowshoe July 29th 07, 3 months away!

Here are a couple of pics from the trail where the scene of the crime is located

This is the Drop that lead to the Tree that I met that day

At top of the trail

Sorry for such a long post, BORED
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

Double-metric mtb man
    Here's hoping that you heal quick....I'm still getting over my "When gravel bites" moment, so I feel your pain.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Hard as nails
    Thanks PsycoMike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The only good knews, is if you do it again it won't hurt as much, when it pops out and then back in.

Click Click out, Click Click in.

Bike Geek
    Ugh, sounds fun - dislocations are a special kind of pain. Good luck with your recovery and fending off the boredom!

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    The only good knews, is if you do it again it won't hurt as much, when it pops out and then back in.

Click Click out, Click Click in.

Hope I don't go there again