Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado

When good days go bad.....

Well about a week ago I went down to a local school to give my dog some exercise. There is a large fenced in running track that is perfect to ride a bike around while the dog runs full throttle, along side or in front of me. After about four laps of full on running he was pretty pooped out. So I took the opportunity to practice my wheelie technique. After several successful lengthy wheelie rides, I am feeling fairly confident. Let me take this opportunity to warn others not to attempt riding a wheelie while clipped in. As it is next to impossible to unclip while up on a wheelie. Although I have been there done that on many occasions without incident. I grew up riding motocross and wheelies were my forte. I never did conquer the trick of doing them on a mountain bike. Twenty to thirty feet max on a bike. Where as many years ago I was clocked at riding a wheelie a mile and one tenth on a motorcycle. This particular time for some reason I didn't tap on my back brake before going over backwards. I went over backwards while still connected to the bike. I apparently [no memory of it] reached out with my arms to break my fall and landed on my right wrist. I didn't hear it break due to all the noise of the bike hitting the pavement. But I sure felt it. My wrist hand and forearm immediately blew up like a balloon, and turned black / purple. After yelling out a few choice @#$%@ words in serious pain. I immediately picked up the bike and checked for damage. A torn seat was all. Now that is true sickness. Off to the E.R. and sure enough it's got a C shaped fracture. The fracture is into the joint so they are going to have to do an M.R.I. to see if they have to operate. If the bone is effecting the cartilage. Meanwhile I have a fiberglass cast from my hand to my elbow. The best case scenario I am in this cast from six to eight weeks. If they need to operate, who knows what the prognosis is going to be. I am right handed so doing everything left handed is new to me. Even posting this is a challenge as I am typing left handed and using the mouse left handed. The moral of the story “do not ride wheelies while clipped in”. Off to take two more Vikodin.

Cheers, Jay
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 02-21-2008 at 06:27 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    I've been hurt while doing a wheelie while clipped in also. not this bad, but yeah..it sucks. I've seen friends go down the same way. Hope you heal quick!
    :wq

mtbr member

dang

I work as surgical tech,and that some hard core sh t. You are so lucky. looking at those xray your doc and his team did a great job on you .Some people are not so lucky as you.Good luck with your riding.

"Its All Good"
    Heal up bro, that sucks............ Have had the same sort of thing happen, but not the result you have had.... Healing vibes to you...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Been there

Join the club. I remember the impact my hand made when I fell backwards off the ladder, whipping it around as fast as I could to try to break my fall. Pretty instinctive move on my part but I happened to contact the ground at a hundred mph and BLAM. I thought, I've never hit anything that hard and solid before, looked at my deformed wrist/hand and said"...that's busted". I was going a million miles an hour trying to finish up a house I was building and about to move into, had done probably more work that day up to the point of falling than I'll ever do again, and it all stopped...just stopped. Right wrist breakage, right handed like you. Typing with left hand, like you. Popping Vicodin like you. Good luck. If all you have is 6 weeks in a cast and no surgery you're a lucky guy.

I thought I'd broken my right elbow...but I didn't. I thought I'd really fokked up my back...but I didn't. Consequently, during my entire recovery when peeps would commiserate with me and tell me how bad it must be I'd say, you know, I'm the luckiest guy in the world. Alls I have is a broken wrist. You won't believe how inconvenient it is though!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by bung hole
    I work as surgical tech,and that some hard core sh t. You are so lucky. looking at those xray your doc and his team did a great job on you .Some people are not so lucky as you.Good luck with your riding.
    Whatever SteveO.........Nice alais you got there.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Dude same thing just happened to me. I was wheelying and for some reason didn't hit the back brake (must not have been thinking). Instead of putting my hand out, I just fell right on my back and hurt my neck pretty bad. BRAND NEW WTB seat is all scuffed and on the verge of tearing open now...bah! Hope you get better quick and get back to wheelying
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kuksul08
    Dude same thing just happened to me. I was wheelying and for some reason didn't hit the back brake (must not have been thinking). Instead of putting my hand out, I just fell right on my back and hurt my neck pretty bad. BRAND NEW WTB seat is all scuffed and on the verge of tearing open now...bah! Hope you get better quick and get back to wheelying
    Same here, the only thing that got hurt on the bike was the seat. A brand new WTB Titanium rail INTENSE logo embroidered Gel seat. The back is ripped, I may just glue it but apparently I have 6 to 8 weeks to decide on what I am going to do about it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

nathan bay
    Apr 2007

I kid you not......

I broke my wrist in May of 2005 while riding a longboard. While in a cast awaiting surgery I started riding my friends mountain bike. About 2 weeks into riding I bought it from him. Cycling has consumed a great deal of my life since. While be it not the most aggresive riding ever I was still riding. I also managed to fly fish with the cast on, seems I could do about anything but work...It wasn't my good arm though....good luck.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan bay
    I broke my wrist in May of 2005 while riding a longboard. While in a cast awaiting surgery I started riding my friends mountain bike. About 2 weeks into riding I bought it from him. Cycling has consumed a great deal of my life since. While be it not the most aggresive riding ever I was still riding. I also managed to fly fish with the cast on, seems I could do about anything but work...It wasn't my good arm though....good luck.
    If you did all that so soon after a break it must not have been as bad as what I have. Because mine hurts like he11 all the time. Even the slightest wrong movement, jolt or twist and the pain sends me through the roof. I have my doubts on this cast keeping it immobile long enough for it to heal.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

nathan bay
    Apr 2007

Must be...

Mine hurt like hell for a couple of weeks. It took 6 weeks to get in to get the titanium screw inserted. After the surgery It was sensitive again for about 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong...I totally pushed my luck...

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan bay
    Mine hurt like hell for a couple of weeks. It took 6 weeks to get in to get the titanium screw inserted. After the surgery It was sensitive again for about 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong...I totally pushed my luck...
    This is my wrist before the incident This is my wrist post injury
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

hit the dirt
    Feb 2008
    dang bro that sucks... wish you the best of luck in a speedy recov.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Not good DJ. Two pieces of advice. First, when in a wheelie use the rear brake to help keep you balance point. I learned that the hard way on my motorcycle. Second, be careful with the Vicodin.....it's extremely addictive....only use it if you need it. Heal fast

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Not good DJ. Two pieces of advice. First, when in a wheelie use the rear brake to help keep you balance point. I learned that the hard way on my motorcycle. Second, be careful with the .....it's extremely addictive....only use it if you need it. Heal fast
    If you check out my original post you will see that I have been a long time wheelie dude that incorporates the rear brake in an emergency. The funny thing is I broke the same wrist in a motocross crash 30 years ago. The break was in a different area of the wrist. If memory serves me right that break was wayyyyy less painful as this one. And I was able to use my hand [while in the cast] much more easily than I can with this current break. I healed much quicker, due to age I assume. I was 19-20 at the time, compared to my current age of 46. Yikes Im'e an old man what the @#@$ am I doing wheelieing? I guess once it's in your blood it's always in your blood. As far as the Vikodin I have been using it sparingly. I have mostly been substituting it for Motrin.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 02-28-2008 at 01:16 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That's awful man! I hope you get better soon.

Front Range, Colorado
    You can sure tell the amount of injuries in this sport by this board. It's apparently a huge number. The last post to this thread was five days ago and it is already half way down the front page. Why is it that every sport I find pleasure in doing, there is huge chance of getting seriously injured. Hmmmm maybe I will take up golf, or maybe [SIZE="4"]not.[/SIZE] With my luck I would slip in a sand trap and break my neck.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    You can sure tell the amount of injuries in this sport by this board. It's apparently a huge number. The last post to this thread was five days ago and it is already half way down the front page. Why is it that every sport I find pleasure in doing, there is huge chance of getting seriously injured. Hmmmm maybe I will take up golf, or maybe [SIZE="4"]not.[/SIZE] With my luck I would slip in a sand trap and break my neck.
    No you will slip a disk in your lower back bending and twisting....."old backs" do not like out of plane motion I will most likely get flamed for these quotes but my feelings about golf are:

"Golf is a good walk spoiled" - Mark Twain

"Golf is a game for people who are too old for sex but too young to die." TheTick

Bodhisattva
    DJ,

This would not have happened if you had used a GoreDuke

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    DJ,

This would not have happened if you had used a GoreDuke

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    This is true, had I had a remote I could have just pushed the button and dropped my azz down. Thanks for the "speedy recovery" wishes.

[SIZE="5"]UPDATE[/SIZE]

I had a Dr. Visit today and they have ruled out surgery. It is showing very little signs of healing but it is slowly on its way. I am going to start up on some Calcium and vitamin D tabs to hopefully speed up the process.

Jay
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 03-05-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully those supplements will have you back to normal in no time.

Front Range, Colorado
    [SIZE="5"]
    UPDATE[/SIZE]

As of yesterday 3-26-08 my latest Dr. Visit things are going very slow. The injury is at 6 and half weeks now. She X- Rayed the wrist again and it shows "some" healing but not much. My wrist is actually shattered with several breaks. We removed the old cast and replaced it with a not so "stanky" one. I must say it has a beautiful blue hue to it. The Doc says two more weeks minimum but at the pace its going she doubts it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Doooood

[SIZE="5"]
    UPDATE[/SIZE]

As of yesterday 3-26-08 my latest Dr. Visit things are going very slow. The injury is at 6 and half weeks now. She X- Rayed the wrist again and it shows "some" healing but not much. My wrist is actually shattered with several breaks. We removed the old cast and replaced it with a not so "stanky" one. I must say it has a beautiful blue hue to it. The Doc says two more weeks minimum but at the pace its going she doubts it.
    That sucks. You got any Xrays you can show us? Are you able to use any fingers on your right hand to help your left when typing? When I had my soft cast taken off and my hard one put on I couldn't look at my wrist. Doc says "it looks good" so I glanced over. I would hate to see it if he'd said it looked bad! It was all white and thin and crinkly. Keep a positive attitude.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    That sucks. You got any Xrays you can show us? Are you able to use any fingers on your right hand to help your left when typing? When I had my soft cast taken off and my hard one put on I couldn't look at my wrist. Doc says "it looks good" so I glanced over. I would to see it if he'd said it looked bad! It was all white and thin and crinkly. Keep a positive attitude.
    Xrays yes, but I couldn't get them to post. As far as the fingers go I can use my index finger in a henpeck kind of way. Everything is very slow going especially in the typing department. Thanks for keeping me positive. Ouch I bumped my cast.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You have to stay positive, that's your only option

Xrays yes, but I couldn't get them to post. As far as the fingers go I can use my index finger in a henpeck kind of way. Everything is very slow going especially in the typing department. Thanks for keeping me positive. Ouch I bumped my cast.
    I had to scan my actual Xrays into My Pictures, downsize them then post.

I am (was) a carpenter and I couldn't do all the easy shiz that I was planning on when I moved into my house (5 days after surgery). All the small projects I had on my list were impossible with one hand. My sister came out to help me for ten days and it was pretty funny, she, the completely helpless tool person, trying to take direction for me, Mr. One Hand.

So I hired a guy to help me out putting on cabinet knobs, shelving, all the shiz I could have just blown out but now had to hire someone ( I mean, I'm fast at that kind of stuff, and going from fast to completely unable was tough and expensive). I would have been more mortified if I wasn't so tanked up on Vicodin! (I still have a full bottle of Vicodin in a drawer...I wonder...)

Anyway...a few days into my guy helping me out I was gesturing with my cast and turned my hand the wrong way and, I couldn't help it, I just shrieked out in pain and the tears just jetted out of my eyes. He'd been injured and could relate, but I had to just stand there and catch my breath till the pain subsided. No words were said but my tears said it all.

Thankfully the occurrence of such painful episodes became less and less and now, a year and a half later, are just a distant memory. Take the long view. (I have to say I just reread this post and got all choked up remembering what it was like. Whew---deep breath---aaaah.)

edit: if my sis is reading this, really Sis, I appreciated your help, really!
    Last edited by xcguy; 03-27-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast