I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007

When do YOU stop?

So I was on my ride today and the bmxer in me wanted to run 40psi to avoid another pinch flat on the biggest drop on the trail, so I did, and as luck would have it, on the first mildly fast corner my front end completely washed out due to a reduced amount of traction. I went down pretty hard by my modes standards, scraped my elbow, bruised my shoulder, and minorly sprained my wrist. I had started to ride on all of the above injuries for about 1/4 mile when I decided another wreck could really hurt, and since I was riding a DJ bike on a AM trail, the fork wasn't forgiving to my at this point minorly sprained wrist. So I got off the bike, turned around, and hike a biked 1 mile out of the trail. Now after wards I kind of feel like a wimp, my wrist doesn't hurt at all anymore, and my shoulder is only a little sore. So my question to you guys is, when do YOU stop riding due to injuries? at what point is an injury too bad to finish your ride on? just wanted to see a general consensus.
    -B4 Stealth
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    I almost always call it quits after a pretty decent fall. How far out you are makes a difference also. If I am way out there I will ride out but that still might be another hour or more of riding. I like rides that tend to go up and then go down without a lot of flat pedaling. In case of a mechanical or an injury I can always point the bike down hill and get back to the car or home. Everyones tolerance for pain is different but if I am hurting I call it a day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Man...you had a good one. I usually can ride through everything(knock on wood). My rule of thumb is this:I'll give it a go for 10-15-20 minutes or so...if I can ride SAFELY and the pain is not severe, I'll press on. Alot of tmes sprains will loosen up. If things go south, I go home.
    Sounds like you did the right thing.....there's always the next day so why risk it?
    Also, there's a BIG difference b/t just falling over and it scares you and wussing out and REALLY having your bell rung and the damage affects your ability to concentrate and/or ride safely.

Sublime Absurdity
    I did a high speed fall over once. I hit my elbow on the ground and it hurt my shoulder, but it was a "bearable" pain. I kept riding and by the time I made it home, the shoulder was really bad. I ended up spending two months off the bike because of it and I really think that it wouldn't have been so bad if I would have aborted the ride.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Barely awake in Marin
    I absolutely always take a good long break after any fall; every time I try to HTFU or vainly attempt to keep going to regain some semblance of flow, I wind up riding sloppy, messy, and risking injury. I stop, take as long as I need to to get my heart rate down to resting, even out my breathing, and let my body relax. As others said, I then see how I feel in 5-minute increments. On trails, I often just slow way down and ride out, but in races, if I crash bad enough, I DNF and limp back to the staging/start/finish line to watch others' successes.

bust a move
    I tend to get right back up, check for any bone(s) sticking out where it shouldn`t, get back on the bike and give it a go. Like others I find the injury will let me know within a few seconds to minutes if I am too injured to ride back. If I am able to ride all the way back I think it helps in my recovery(no proof just seems that way to me). Once I rode 6 rugged mountain miles after a fluke crash that involved me landing with full weight(sternum) on handlebar while pointing up. That was scary as hell thinking I was riding back to the parking lot with an internal injury. Turned out to be only a nasty bruise...lucky.

mtbr member
    a few weeks ago I took a header, cut chin, sprained left wrist, fractured right wrist, fractured right tibia, just below the knee, gashed knees. had to ride almost 5 miles out to the car. Not by choice, but riding hurt less then walking. Took it slow, the descents were especially painful. I can't wait to get the cast off so I can get back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I nose-dived and slammed myself into the ground once, with a pretty awesome open roadrash on my elbow, and kept riding because my friend just arrived... I thought I was ok, till a few days later, my forearm had swollen and was infected and every time I took a step, just the slight jolt was enough to make me writhe in pain. Had to go to the ER for that one to get some antibiotics.

Don't be a retard like me, its better to be safe, and make sure you clean any wounds up as soon as you can, and keep your tetanus shots up to date. (Its good for roughly 10 years)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    good point above, I ride with minor first aid stuff becuase of that. For me it really depends on the wreck. Because of my BMX background my first instinct was to jump back up and get back in it...but once I saw the race was over that usually settled me down and the pain kicked in. Of course I'm older now so who knows, the last thing I wrecked were my last 4 crotch rockets, I only rode two of them off...I'm hoping my luck on a bike with no motor will be better! Of course that story og the 5 mile bike ride with a broken wrist and leg is very motivational!

mtbr member

If I can stay upright, I keep riding

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this. I've ridden out after doing a flying W and landing on my head with loud snapping and crunching sounds coming from my neck. It's a decision I'm not willing to make. Call 911 and get life flighted out only to discover its just a stinger after xrays. If it doesn't keep me from riding I figure I'll be ok. It's always best to take the cautious way out and call for help. Always carry a cell phone when riding for this purpose.

When I was a kid my brother fell during a motocross race and another rider ran over his neck. He went to the hospital and after xrays the Dr's sent him home saying he had just sprained his neck. The pain kept up though and he went back after a few days. More X rays revealed that his neck was 1mm from a complete break and paralysis from the neck down. After surgery he went into a head cast and eventually completely recovered. I guess the point is that you should'nt ride out if you feel really hurt. Its hard to describe but its the kind of pain that just doesn't feel right. Carry your cell and call 911 when that feeling hits.

mtbr member
    Gotta get back on the horse that bucked you off ASAP!
    CruisenSurly

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've never had a crash/injury that I stopped a ride. Closest was front tire drifted off the edge of a trail and immediately slammed me to the ground and my chest hurt and I lost my breath for a while. I was worried about maybe cracked ribs, and sat there for about 10 minutes to figure out what happened, and decided I was just bruised.

My motto is that I love biking and I want to be doing it for a long time so no need to take chances and push it if I'm not feeling right... it works for stunts, rock gardens, injuries, etc.

Hey! Watch This!
    I'll stop at broken bones. But not little bones, like fingers.