mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! What is wrong with me?

Ok, heres the deal. When I ride my bike (BMX, jumping and stuff) my lower back gets super stiff and starts throbbing with pain. Yet I have found that if I lay on the ground sitting up and cross my right leg over my left and twist to the right my back to the right, it will crak very lowdly about 9 different times. Then I switch and do it the other way and it crack 9 more times. So it cracks about 18 times. This relives the pressure and I can continue biking for a bit longer bebore having do it again. Is this bad for you? Can it cause wearing down of the vertibras and cause arthritis is my back when I am older?

Now I am not sure what is wrong with me since I am only 15 and shouldn't be having back pain.

Another strange thing, (not sure if this is related to the above) is that if I jump, or even run more than 10 min, my left hip will shoot out of place, causing serrious pain to reverberate up and down my left back. In fact it gets so out of place you can see it is noticably higher than the left.

To fix this I usualy lay down on the ground and have someone pull on my left leg and usualy pops back down. But soon comes back up if I jump or anything.

So WTF is wrong with me?

mtbr member
    The back sounds like you have some instability in your spine, possibly caused by weakness in the erectors and or abdominals, try some low back extensions and some sit-ups every morning, the back is also very likely related to the hip. Worst case scenerio is that you have hip displaysia, yeah like dogs get, people can get it too. But that is probably not the case, maybe just some more muscle imbalance/weakness. Try strengthening your external rotators on the hip that bothers you, that can be done by doing some simple leg lifts where you lie on your side and lift the bad leg straight up and back enough times to feel a good burn in that hip/butt cheek. Hope that helps. The cracking in your back and hip wont increase the chance for arthritis but can create more laxity in those joints-aka-make it even looser.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the advise, I have been doing some exersizes for the past few days and it has been getting better. I will be sure to do more then and a bit longer.

Also, I am not sure at all if this is related, but I had x-rays done and the doctors said I had an extra vertiba on my lower back that wasn't all the way developed. yet they stressed that that wasn't the problem. Although that was before the back cracking began.

Do you think it has any effect?

mtbr member
    Yes I think it has an affect, after being hit by a car on a road ride a few years back I had some docs telling me all kinds of different things, every one I went to had a different story and said the others advice was incorrect, realize they are only telling you what they have been taught, which is not everything, your back sounds like it functions very well, it may just need a little extra help with that extra vertebrae, continue to strengthen and stretch it out.

mtbr member

On the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshua
    The back sounds like you have some instability in your spine, possibly caused by weakness in the erectors and or abdominals, try some low back extensions and some sit-ups every morning, the back is also very likely related to the hip. Worst case scenerio is that you have hip displaysia, yeah like dogs get, people can get it too. But that is probably not the case, maybe just some more muscle imbalance/weakness. Try strengthening your external rotators on the hip that bothers you, that can be done by doing some simple leg lifts where you lie on your side and lift the bad leg straight up and back enough times to feel a good burn in that hip/butt cheek. Hope that helps. The cracking in your back and hip wont increase the chance for arthritis but can create more laxity in those joints-aka-make it even looser.
    This sounds like a classic instability. Your back pops repeatedly because you do not have the ligamentous nor muscular stability along the spine. Your spine is moving more than what is natural for each joint. Other than modifying your activities (not doing things that bother the hip and back) I would work on posture (I have seen very few teenagers with good posture). Have your parents get you into see a good Physical Therapist (ask if they have a manual therapist). They should align you and teach you how to do the right core exercises, not sit ups and persoal trainer exercises. These types of exercises often only work your outer core and completely miss what is going on with the spine and sometimes make the condition worse. You need to work on your Transverse Abdominus and Multifidi muscles. If your PT does not know how to do this find a new PT.

Your hip is probably in a similar condition as is your spine. It is quite possibly that you have some Pelvic/Hip instabilities as well. Some spine conditions can also lead to hip/pelvic issues. Your PT should be able to figure them out.

As far as strengthening your Hip Inernal Rotators, (Glut Med, Glut Min, TFL) yes, you can lie on your unaffected side lifting your problematic leg up towards the ceiling. It is better to do a weight bearing exercise so that you have the neuromuscular carryover so that it helps you when you walk/ride).

Bottom line, go see a PT and get on your way to healing.
    Good Luck
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ok thanks guys. I went to a PT and she felt around in my back and said I had some muscle tissue that had ripped off and bunched up and it was pulling on my spine. They put ultrasound on it and had those cords that they stick on my back that shock you. She also messaged the back area with the problem.

Anotehr thing is they gave me two sets of excersizes, one where I lay one my back and bring my right leg up, bend it, and push on it with my right hand, hold for 10 seconds, then switch. I am supposed to do this 10 times each side twice a day.

The other exersize is to lay on my back, bring my legs up and put a pillow between my knees and lift my smtomach off the ground. I am suposed to hold 10 seconds then do it 10 times twice a day just like the other one.

Anyway do you guys think this is a reasonable diagnosis for what it wrong with me? She told me that the back cracking was very harmful for my back and I should do it no more than once a day if needs be. But she said it was imperative that I have someone pull on the leg to fix my hip. She doesn't think that the extra vertibra has anything to do with the back problems though.

What do you guys think?