mmm bacon

What would you do, really serious question

I just got back from doc today. I as some know had ACL surgery in Feb and it didn't turn out as expected. The failure of the ACL wasn't because of the cadaver tendon,suprise, suprise. It was because I need a posteriolateral reconstruction, I'm sorry if the spelling is wrong, I'm trying to read my docs hand writing. Essentially I need another surgery for possibly a new ACL and an posteriorlateral something or other (?). The posteriorlateral keeps the lower leg from migrating medially, think of the knecap as a pivot point, like a loose LCL were the knee feels like it's going to fold outward, hopefully that helps I'm waaay out of my anatomy comfort zone here.

This has gone from minor/major surgery to MAJOR/MAJOR surgery. The reason being is that the common peroneal nerve that brances off the siatic nerve is very close to the area that will be worked on, therefore, if something goes wrong and the superfical nerve were to be cut I loose all feeling in my lower leg, aka foot drop as it was explained to me by my doctor. I understand the consequences but everyone around me is adamantly against surgery people have suggested bracing, more PT anything but going under the knife again. I'm 33 and not made of glass, I am looking for some input good or bad my mind is made up am I being selfish by not questioning this possible outcome more seriously. Thanks for any help or whatever you think it really means alot right now. JK

squish is good
    If it were me, and I really wanted to continue being active, I'd roll the dice and get the surgery. If your potentially going to have issues with lateral migration of the knee, or as I read it, potentially dislocate the crap out of it every time you apply heavy pressure, I'd say it's worth the risk. Surgery is always scary and family members want you to be around for a long time but it's your life and your quality of life. You have to decide for yourself. Is PT going to help long term? Would a year of rehabilitation help mobility to the point of being able to ride again? You didn't mention that so I'm assuming it's not very likely, if there were a strong chance of that working it would definitely be a consideration, a year of pain would be worth mitigating the risk of surgery for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Seeing that you already had surgery once, I would suggest you contact some of the best knee doctors in your area. Not sure where you live but if you are near CO. I think it's called the Stedman clinic or something like that and I heard they are the best in the country at repairing major knee problems. If you are not near there seek out your local pro team doctors and have them give you their opinion. If you are already with a top doctor and feel comfortable with that doc then go for it.

mtbr member

The no surgery argument.

I completely tore my ACL two years ago. I waited two full months after tearing it to see a physician. During that time I continued to ride and did a couple of races. It did hurt walking but since it didnt affect biking I wasnt terribly concerned. After the scope job I was told the ACL was torn. I opted for no surgery. I probably would have had the surgery if playing basketball, running or carrying 50 pounds sacks around was important but those things werent. After the scope it took about 6 months for the knee to be pain free. It continued to get stronger for the next year. Two years out both legs pretty much feel the same. So thats the argument for no surgery