mtbr member
    May 2005

What will stop you from riding?

What will stop you from riding?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many & different reasons why we ride and most of us will say, oh i will ride my bike as long as i can. Its fun, its therapeutic, it brings out the competitive you, etc.
    One of this reasons keeps me riding my bike for about six years, till i came to a point of choosing from giving it up or just go on.
    Last year i've experienced pain in my right ankle, id thought its just a normal pain, you know, the weakness the leaves our body, but only to found out i have an injury / abnormality. I was diagnosed with peroneal tendon subluxation/dislocation. Done all non-surgical options, but seems all didnt work...i can manage to ride (with pain) with both ankle taped / supported.
    Doctor told me if id like to continue with this biking thing for long....i need my two ankles repaired (surgery). As much as possible (and maybe all of us), i dont like to undergo any surgical procedure. Why me? why my ankle? why i cant enjoy this wonderful sport without this intervention?
    This makes me think.....is this the end of the phrase "riding till i can" or extend it a little bit.

Double-metric mtb man
    My question would be: Is riding the only thing that will be effected, or will I be having problems walking in a couple years?

If this will have other impacts, it may be worth doing now....if not, it is a decision that only you can make, Roel.

Here's sending positive vibes your way in the meantime...
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That is a bummer man! Is it just the impact that is bad for it, or is it the spinning motion in general? If it's the former then maybe you could ride mellow trails on a full squishy seated. Did he say post-op you would be able to return to riding?

Team Chilidog!
    Since a shattered wrist didn't stop me, I would probably be anything I could to keep riding--even surgery at this point. I had to have surgery to get my right hand working again, and it was worth it, and I would do it again.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Forgiven
    The problem with ankles is you have two... The good one ends up taking the load for the bad one and as you can guess..........ends up bad too. Get the surgery. Trust me. I'm going to have my "Bad" ankle worked on as soon as the "Good" ankle heals enough from recent injury. Did you follow that? The good one has compensated so much, and for so long, it is now in worse shape than the one that gives me pain. I avoided surgery to a fault...... Oh, and to answer the why me?........... Why not me?? is a healthier view point. Anyhow, I feel your pain. I really do.

From the couch............for six more weeks!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if cirgury is the last resource do it

I tear 4 months ago my acl and my lateral ligment in the left knee, I just started to do some mellow rides 3 weeks ago and maybe I can be the same rider in 1 year (luckily) ...I got depresed mtb is almost (I said ALMOST) everyting to me..I gained weight (10 pounds) but now I think Im lucky enough because Im riding again, slower than my girlfriend but Im a mtbiker again.

Now Im thinking to get a new bike..my actual bike maybe is to overkill for my needs...maybe Im going to wait a couple of months an analyze my knees and riding style.

do the cirgury, recover, do rehab and comeback
    thans my only advice

pt: I friend of mine lost his right leg 1 year and a half ago...after recovering and doing rehab he just bought a new xc heckler and he is riding beter than ever.

we (you, me and him) are lucky!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Back in November I had a crash that resulted in a spinal compression injury. I have herniated discs in C4-C7 that is putting pressure on my spinal cord. The doc wants to do a 3 level fusion to releave the pressure. I was told that If I have even a slight fall that forces my head backwards or forwards it could damage my spinal cord and paralyze or kill me. I feel mostly fine. Some nueropathy in my arms, but I"m riding. Sure I risk permanent injury or death, but I thought about it for a day or two before I decided that you only live once. Even with a healthy spine I could end up paralyzed. The thought of such brutal surgery on my neck with such a long recovery time and so many unknowns? Nope, I'd rather deal with the knowns and just try not to fall.

mtbr dismember

Knee replacement

I've been off for 10 months now and I had knee replacements five and six months ago. Your problem will probably only get worse with time. You have to decide how long you are willing to put up with it and if you are risking irreversible damage. Do some research on the procedure and see what it involves, and what the recovery prospects and time are. I rode until I could no longer take it and the pain affected my life so much that relief became more important than biking.