Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

What is the best painkiller?

Prescription or over-the-counter. For broken bones and general broken body parts?

What have you tried and what has worked best for you?

fc

mtbr member
    Why do you ask this question? Have you been injured? If so, and your pain is severe enough to warrant this kind of medication, seek treatment please.

There's lots of good ones. Obviously prescription is the best.
    Fentanyl, Morphine are very good analgesics but good luck getting it.
    OTC- I would say Tylenol PM because it knocks you out too.
    Generation Gap Racing.
    Thanks 2012 sponsors! Hayes Bicycle Group, LEATT/Azonic, MAXXIS, GoPro, 661, ODI, Royal, Loeka,SPY

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedman
    Why do you ask this question? Have you been injured? If so, and your pain is severe enough to warrant this kind of medication, seek treatment please.

There's lots of good ones. Obviously prescription is the best.
    Fentanyl, Morphine are very good analgesics but good luck getting it.
    OTC- I would say Tylenol PM because it knocks you out too.
    I'm only asking to listen to people's experiences and stimulate discussion. I think having a painkiller preference or knowledge when talking to the doctor is useful. Otherwise, you have zero control/input on what they give you.

I used to always have prescription Motrin 800s handy for all my bumps and bruises. But then, I found out those 500 count Motrin 200s at Costco are the same thing. Just take 4!

I've had Vicodin prescribed to me a couple times but I think it is the devil! I had nightmares, constipation and a massive headache when I went off it after a week.

And then I had Flexoril given to me for a broken hand and I was basically asleep for two days. Never again!

fc

~Disc~Golf~
    IBU 800's, beer and MJ
    Honestly... ahh I give up

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Ridiculous. This is between a patient and a physician, not the internet and an individual.

However, it will be fun to see this thread develop, then send it out to some forums where physicians and pharmacists collaborate for the lulz.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ice

Not sure about putting it on broken bones but for aches and pains it can't be beat. It's cheap, won't tear up your stomach, but it will get the inflammation down.

Warrior's Society
    They gave me Narco for my broken leg.....did it help......it made me sleepy. So I guess it worked, I felt no pain while I was asleep.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    800mg Ibuprofens, ice, compression and rest worked wonders on cutting the swelling and pain after each of my 4 knee surgeries.

I did get a bunch of Tramadols for days when I'm out backpacking and push my messed up knee way the hell too hard. They work and knock the pain down but the side effects ain't fun and i still have most of them.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    I don't take stuff often but when I had my shoulder surgery it was extremely painful for several weeks afterward so Percocet became my best friend. I did limit my self to one per day in the evening as I did not want to get in over my head using them. That is the strongest pain killer I have ever used. I have a huge bottle of Darvocet that I was given for my shoulder before the surgery but it didn't touch the pain so I never took any.

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    A good girlfriend that can take your mind off the pain and smoking a fatty.

Bodhisattva
    nothing beats heroin
    Life....the original terminal illness

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorVoyeur
    A good girlfriend that can take your mind off the pain and smoking a fatty.
    eww

Honestly... ahh I give up

scars > tattoos
    hmm...i have terrific luck with vicodin/vicoprofen, and flexoril. soma is a phenomenal muscle relaxant, but if the flexoril knocks you down, you'd be out for a week on soma. i get zero relief from oxycodone-based painkillers like percocet, et al; they just make me itchy. if you're looking for narcos, maybe try that route?

beyond ibuprofen, i take a nice, non-narcotic painkiller/extremely mild muscle relaxant called ultram. it's a great in-between. takes more of the edge off than plain old advil/motrin, but isn't a heavy hitter like narcotics. i'm told it can affect people who are sensitive to codeine adversely, however. i'm not (codeine is in one of my migraine meds), so i can't advise here.

talk to your doc to avoid trouble, be monitored, and avoid drug interactions. and that's today's helpful tip from your friendly, neighborhood armchair physician. (really i have a chronic pain disorder and break myself off on the regular.)

on the path most traveled
    I used to pop 800mg motrins until my doc strongly advised against it, saying that it was bad for the kidneys and liver to take that much. 600 mg / dosage was the most he was willing to prescribe me.

And, of course, whenever you mix alcohol with known liver/kidney toxins like Tylenol and ibuprofen, you are increasing the toxicity of those toxins. So, thatís something to be at least somewhat mindful of.

mtbr member
    oxycontin and fentanyl work great.. but if you go into a hospital asking for either, theres a pretty good chance you'll get marked as a drug-seeker. extremely dangerous, highly addictive drugs, but they work (maybe too well).

opiates all work pretty much the same. some are just stronger and harder hitting than others. its not really the thing you have much position to be asking for when you're seriously injured, they're going to give you what they feel is necessary.

like someone said, the ibuprofen 800's you get from the hospital are identical to the 200's you get at the drug store for cheap. not even worth filling the prescription. its much less toxic than acetaminophen.

soma works amazing for muscle strain or pulled backs. its safe enough that most doctors will shell you out a bottle of it pretty much on demand. its very mildly addictive, but you'd need to be taking them multiple times a day for months before its a problem (unlike something like oxycontin, you'll have withdrawal symptoms within a week of daily use).

i think its more a matter of determining how much poison you're really willing to swallow versus what works best. popping an oxy sure works better than a couple motrins, but if you can manage with motrins you're better off!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    like someone said, the ibuprofen 800's you get from the hospital are identical to the 200's you get at the drug store for cheap. not even worth filling the prescription. its much less toxic than acetaminophen.
    huh?

knock-knock...
    pcp

problem solved!
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    huh?
    ? tylenol is terrible for you. ibuprofen less so.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    The hysterics in this thread. I will be taking the advice dispensed here, though. Ultram sounds promising, so I will tell my doctor to prescribe it to me as a muscle relaxant.

mtbr member
    its not a muscle relaxant. its a weird pseudo opiate. http://www.drugs.com/ultram.html

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    That sucks...

Once in a while, I get a bad shoulder and neck pain, and lots of tightness there. I try to work it out, but it doesn't work. What should I tell my doctor to prescribe for me? Norco? I read about something called Neurontin on the internet, and I think I might tell my physician to prescribe it.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    ? tylenol is terrible for you. ibuprofen less so.
    and you say that because....?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    That sucks...

Once in a while, I get a bad shoulder and neck pain, and lots of tightness there. I try to work it out, but it doesn't work. What should I tell my doctor to prescribe for me? Norco? I read about something called Neurontin on the internet, and I think I might tell my physician to prescribe it.
    LOL

Do what many of my patients do....request 2 weeks off from work, a handicapped parking pass, and 30 tabs of percocet

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I heard about this drug called cefpodoxtriaxametazalonamine and that if taken in too high quantities, it can be very addictive, but it is supposed to have relaxing and analgesic effects. What does the forum suggest?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    I heard about this drug called cefpodoxtriaxametazalonamine and that if taken in too high quantities, it can be very addictive, but it is supposed to have relaxing and analgesic effects. What does the forum suggest?
    Is it safe to take with alcohol?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast