Thread: Well Hell....

mtbr member

Well Hell....

So, lost the tail end of the season due to tearing 3 sets of ligaments in my hand. Not even out of PT and just ruined a perfectly good knee and ski season while playing racquet ball. It seems that I tore my ACL completely off my femur.... Surgery is set for middle of Dec..

I guess the good news is two fold, first, my deductible is payed up. Second I should be good to go for bike season next year.

Any good advice on how to improve/ speed up my recovery? Also cadaver or self supplied graft?

mtbr member
    If you are young (<40 and active) use your own tissue. Rates of failure are higher for cadaver grafts in young patients.

mtbr member
    I always recommend the BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy) to help speed up recovery. I work as a treatment adviser for soft tissue injuries and there is such great results with it. Our bodies natural ability to heal brings any injured area blood flow, however, the rate at which it does so is very slow. The BFST simply speeds up this process. There is an Energy Web that emits electro-magnetic energy which sends a signal to the rest of our body, telling it that this specific area needs more blood flow. The blood flow this electro-magnetic promotes is full of the oxygen and nutrients you need in order to be able to heal, and at an accelerate rate. The increased blood flow also lubricates the area helping prevent any further damage during movements. A lot of people use it post op to reduce the recovery time. I've attached more info if interested: Improving Blood Circulation
    ACL Injury Treatment

mtbr member
    LOL, I turn 40 on Saturday,,,,,,

mtbr member
    The main advantage of getting a cadaver graft is no donor site morbidity which means less postoperative pain and potentially returning to work faster. However cadaver grafts incorporate slower and in younger patients have a higher rate of failure. Numerical age and physiologic age don't always match!