mtbr member

Weeds and itching? Ticks?

I rode a local trail that is kinda over grown this time of year. About 5 miles in my shins itched so bad that it was almost unbearable. Upon getting home and showering I have had no issues. Now I notice a strange zit like think on my leg that is moderately painful. I never noticed any ticks. I would think I would have noticed that though. I am thinking now maybe some kind of thorn or something? I tried looking up symptoms but the only think close (photo) is a spider bite. I figured somebody here may have a better idea. I am in Michigan as far as region goes. More curious than anything.

Warrior's Society
    Not likely tick bites....they embed into your skin and feed for a while.

Overgrown weeds this time of year are often times dried out and usually have sharp pointy ends on them. Probably just allergies and getting pelted by the weeds.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    If it helps, I ride in tick city here in the Deep South. I wear taller white socks which are ugly as sin, but ticks really stand out against the white. Whenever I stop a quick glance can usually spot them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    there are some thorns out there that are mighty small and you don't know they are embedded other than a) rode in, and felt, a rough vegetable patch b) tiny zit forms later and lo and behold, a tiny thorn in there

also, stinging nettles can do this too. we have a trail with 200 yards continuous stinging nettles and it really wakes you up

ticks generally grab and hold on until you are somewhat stopped or done with the ride, then climb up someplace they feel hidden, and start to bite in a few hours after...most times during a ride and soon after they just bite to hang on.

anyhow, tick bites themselves may be a bit red, and not zit like. check for ticks after every ride with a mirror so you can look everywhere for them

mtbr member
    I am going with stinging nettles at this point. I picked up an ear infection and went to the doc. He looked at my nasty little wound while I was there. Like he said, it could be a spider bike, nettles, thorn or anything else. Oral antibiotics for the ear should help it along. I suppose a couple days off the bike may be in order.

local trails rider
    Weeds can leave lots of tiny scratches on you. Combined with dust and sweat, that can feel very irritating. Lots of different insects like to live among weeds and some of them bite.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Also, many plants, especially grasses, put silica in their tissues. Rub your finger along blades of certain grasses the wrong way and it will cut you. They are serrated and will rip through skin pretty easily.

Nettles are one possibility, but they prefer moist environments.

Lots of stuff with thorns out there, and lots of stuff that's just very stiff and pokes.

Watch out for this stuff, too:
    Giant, Toxic Weed Poses Health Risk : Discovery News

Clueless Bastard
    Michigan? I'm thinking one of the giant assed mosquitoes you have out there. I've heard they sound like hummingbirds. Like having a nail pounded into your flesh.

Mosquito Biology

mtbr member
    Not mosquitoes! We certainly have lots of them this year. Nasty critters.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    That can be nasty:
    giant hogweed, cartwheel-flower, giant cow parsnip, "hogsbane", giant cow parsley
    Heracleum mantegazzianum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It is an invasive species, poisonous, and much bigger than its more benign relatives.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Chiggers are the worst ! Nasty little bastards, they are microscopic, and the above photo's do not depict their favorite place to dig in and feed. If you've ever gotten into them, you know what I'm talking about LoL.