mtbr member

Warning! Graphic photo inside!

There's been a guy from our UK division visiting my company for the last few weeks. Last week I found out he's a mountain biker that prefers downhilling but isn't opposed to pedaling uphill once in a while. So I, being the VP of the local MTB club, generously offered to take him out and show him some of our local riding spots. We had a super fun ride on Saturday and he loved our trails. We agreed to ride again last night to try out a few of the sections again that had some flowy downhill lines. Things were going great and I was getting much more comfortable attacking the downhills with more speed than I have in the past. From here my thought train goes like this:

pedal, pedal, pedal, miss that tree, hard right coming, SWEEET! that back tire drift felt awesome!, hairpin left, coulda been a bit more smooth there, let the bike float over the roots, shallow right then down again, TREE!, ouch!, roll with the fall, that musta looked awesome, I'm okay, what do you mean I'm bleeding?, ooh that's a lot of blood on my arm, I thought I just scraped the tree, let's wash that off with the camelbak, uhh that's gonna need stitches, crap.

Nine stitches and a really late night at the ER.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dude! It looks like we're looking inside your arm!

Stitches for sure.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    yikes. at least you shouldnt need 2 weeks to recover! My downhill wreck had my arm imobilized for 2 weeks!
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I got something like that on my new a month ago, all the way to the knee cap. I had an 10 stitch's and an immobilized knee for two weeks then a week of no trails after that. I'm just happy to be riding again.

Your gonna have a sick scar. Trust me.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    Another reminder that I should get myself some arm pads for DHing...

Nasty looking hole in your arm there!
    Hanging out in Whistler... Just another day in paradise.