mtbr member

Vasectomy Recovery Time?

I have a three day ride planned mid-April. For my 40th b-day my wife wants me to get a vasectomy. We have four wonderful boys and I think I have all the future riding buddies I need at this point.

The question, to those who have done it, is how long I may have to stay out of the saddle. I would like to make sure I am in good shape for the April trip to Moab, but would also like to accomodate my wife. I'm sure I can put her off a while longer if needed, but if possible I would like to go ahead with the procedure.

Any experience from cycists who have been there would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Does this operation effect "woodage"?

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    You can ride as soon as one week. Does not affect woodage. Since it's your birthday I'd say a gift of equal value should be kicked down by the wife...

Hugged a Yeti Today?
    Performed two of these this week. We tell patients that you can return to normal activity in 2 days, things like cycling or running, go by the swelling and tenderness. Should be good within a week. Just follow the directions to keep using those frozen peas for 3-4 days.

One Gear
    It really wasn't a big deal. Get it done now and you should be good to go in a week to be back on the bike. Definitely use lots of ice for the first 3 days. My wife took the boys to her parents house for a long weekend while I recovered. That helped as much as the ice. I did nothing but watch the TV (what I wanted, not cartoons) and rotate ice bags. The more ice and rest you get the quicker you'll be 100%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Had it done on a Friday. Was so bored I went for a light road spin on that Sunday. Rode a bit high in the saddle. Was back on the mountain bike for my weekly Wednesday night ride riding at normal pace.
    As previously mentioned you should work in some quid pro quo - maybe some help with the shaving and the post 30 day flushing of the system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I say: hope for four days, but plan on 1 - 2 weeks. Frozen peas wasn't cold enough, so I used ice bags. The jock strap was my saviour though. Buy a few, because you don't want to have to wait for the laundry. I was able to ride after 2 weeks, but wore the jock for over a month. Ironically, to pass the time -- I played with my Wii

Currently in Exile
    Like most of the others posting here, I was back on the bike in less than a week. The first few off road rides made for some strange sensations though. The cut ends of the vasdefrens (sp) seened to be pretty sharp. That subsided after about 2 to 3 weeks and all is well.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll have the motivation to get this done and over quickly. No snow today, think I'll get a ride in tomorrow.!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDoc
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll have the motivation to get this done and over quickly. No snow today, think I'll get a ride in tomorrow.!
    I had this done 10 years ago and I had no negative side effects except for itching. I'd rather feel pain than itch!!! I was good to go in 3 days with no excessive swelling or discomfort ecept for the Damned itching!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDoc
    I have a three day ride planned mid-April. For my 40th b-day my wife wants me to get a vasectomy. We have four wonderful boys and I think I have all the future riding buddies I need at this point.

The question, to those who have done it, is how long I may have to stay out of the saddle. I would like to make sure I am in good shape for the April trip to Moab, but would also like to accomodate my wife. I'm sure I can put her off a while longer if needed, but if possible I would like to go ahead with the procedure.

Any experience from cycists who have been there would be appreciated.

It's not as long a recovery as a reversal!!

Not half as painful either, it hurt worse than my shattered ankle (the reversal that is). You'll be golden in no time.

mtbr member
    Itching.... Hadn't thought of that. Right now I'm dealing with the joy of a broken tooth from a hard landing. Think I'll hold off a while on the additional pain

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I wasn't ready to hit the bumpy stuff for two weeks, and even then it felt a little off. I doubled up on the padded underwear since it was a pretty technical ride. For a big bike trip, I'd wait a month after the op just to be on the safe side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    been there done that, got the t shirt, and some points with the wife.