mtbr member

an unusual injury.

I recently competed in an endurance XC race, did pretty well but I obviously wasn't in the best of shape because I cramped mid way through and the rest of the race I spent maintaining. I did finish, and I did finish is the top 1/4 which was a goal. Anyway it's been two weeks since the race and I've noticed that just under my left knee there's some wicked bruising developing. Dark purple bruises, thing is I never crashed and this area was never impacted. Is it possible that I did some internal muscular damage? I mean I was very sore in that area the week after the race, now I feel almost completely better (took a break from riding even) but just noticed these bruises last night. It freaked me out a bit. I know I was pushing myself pretty hard but in all honestly I had no idea I could do damage like this.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm confused.

I don't think it's worth seeing a doctor as it doesn't really hurt anymore it just looks really bad!

mtbr member

this is it. the back of my knee. weird I know. doesn't it look like someone hit me or something, it's not the case and it's really throwing me off.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by plume

this is it. the back of my knee. weird I know. doesn't it look like someone hit me or something, it's not the case and it's really throwing me off.
    I've definitely had bruising and cutting injuries that I didn't realize happened until long after the incident. "Hey, what's that trail of blood leading into the garage doing there? Oh!" The back of the knee is a pretty strange place for an impact that wasn't obvious though. It's almost like someone came up from behind and smacked you with their pump or something
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Torn muscles can result in bruising.