mtbr member

Tweaked back recovery time?

So I was painting my heavy solid front door last week. I was carrying it to the garage to paint and when I put it down I twisted slightly resulting in agonising back pain, slightly off to one side.

Was taking tramadol for a couple of days before I had to stop as they were making me throw-up (which isn't nice when you have a bad back).

It's a lot better now but still a slight twinge especially after sleeping.

Am I safe to get back on the bike? Should I wait until all pain has completely gone?
    Pretty sure it was a muscle strain.

Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do you have any radiating pain in your butt or down your legs? Does it hurt when you cough or sneeze? Any incontinence? Look in the mirror are your hips off too one side? Are you flexion intolerant?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    All good questions. Assuming you say no to those, it might just be a strain or sprain as you stated. Docs usually don't distinguish between the two. I would give it another week, at least. Stretch, nothing strenuous, and ice, ice, ice. If it lasts several weeks, or happens again, you should see a doc.

I put up with "twinges" for several years, and they got worse and more frequent. Finally got diagnosed with a bad lumbar herniation. Fairly common, unfortunately, but it would have been better to diagnose and treat it early on.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    All good questions. Assuming you say no to those, it might just be a strain or sprain as you stated. Docs usually don't distinguish between the two. I would give it another week, at least. Stretch, nothing strenuous, and ice, ice, ice. If it lasts several weeks, or happens again, you should see a doc.

I put up with "twinges" for several years, and they got worse and more frequent. Finally got diagnosed with a bad lumbar herniation. Fairly common, unfortunately, but it would have been better to diagnose and treat it early on.

Good luck.
    What was the treatment if you don't mind me asking.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    So far I've gotten away with an injection into the disc to shrink it and physical therapy. I still can't do everything I want to in the gym, climbing hurts on the bike, and I have to ice it and baby way more than I care to. Probably have to do surgery at some point.

Of all the things I've done to myself, the most pain I've felt in my life is from that disc. One night, it literally felt like someone was tearing chunks of my back off with a fork. I was surprised that you could feel that much pain without any actual trauma. I'm sweating just thinking about it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do not stretch your back could make it worse. It may feel good as you doing it and 30 min after (due to stretch reflex) but you could be compressing disc or nerve tissue. A strong flexible back is a recipe for disc lesions. You need to develop paraspinal endurance with the proper exercises and biomechanical movements. 80% of the population will suffer from low back pain due to improper biomechanics.

psycho cyclo addict
    Twisting is very bad for me. Note: everyone's anatomy is different and I'm not a doctor so your mileage may vary...

I've had chronic back pain issues for 11 years now. Cropped up at the tail end of playing soccer for a long time. Pain was bad the first 3-4 years on and off. Now it occurs quite infrequently- most often occurs if I try to pick up something heavy and twist (loading luggage in the car for example).

Give your back a chance to recover and take it easy for another week or two. I find that stretching hamstrings (leg up on a chair variety or lying on the ground and lifting a leg with a band under the arch of my foot) and quads on a regular basis to be quite helpful. I also roll up on a ball instead of doing traditional sit-ups to keep my core muscles in shape.

Thankfully, cycling has never given me or increased the level of existing back pain during flare ups.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Do not stretch your back could make it worse. It may feel good as you doing it and 30 min after (due to stretch reflex) but you could be compressing disc or nerve tissue. A strong flexible back is a recipe for disc lesions. You need to develop paraspinal endurance with the proper exercises and biomechanical movements. 80% of the population will suffer from low back pain due to improper biomechanics.
    Good point. I should clarify my earlier statement on stretching. That applies to glutes, piriformis, and hammies. My spine stays straight for almost all stretches. I think the only actual back stretch I do is child's pose, and I go to either side to get the QL. I use a lacrosse ball to get the piriformis, and the glutes to some extent. Just sit or lay on it, and find the tough spots. It hurts.

mtbr member
    Do you have any radiating pain in your butt or down your legs? Does it hurt when you cough or sneeze? Any incontinence? Look in the mirror are your hips off too one side? Are you flexion intolerant?
    No, no but i thought it would, no, no, dont think so Oo. I did google it at the time and checked for most of those things.

So hopefully ok, getting bit better every day. As it turns out it's p*ssed with rain every day at riding time anyway so i'm still off it. I will leave it a while longer.

Cheer for the help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you are concerned about compressed discs, have you considered inversion therapy? Even at 15 degrees of inversion, it can relieve pressure and a lot of pain. If you are interested, check out the FAQ page on our website: https://inversiontablesusa.com/faq