mtbr member

TOTALED!! :( (lots of pics)

Well, lastnight, when I just rode 16 miles, i was crossing a intersection, and a huge truck with a lift rolls past the red light and runs over me (obviously he didn't see me.....). At first I thought i broke my leg. But luckily I just walked off with some nasty abrasions and a sprained ankle. but I also walked off with a bent up serotta. (I just knew my father was watching over me that night :/) So i got to spend 5 hours at the trauma center in a neck brace and strapped to a flat board. but no broken bones. well, im lucky/glad to be alive,
    I guess I will be riding my spec stumpy for now

here are the pics
    sorry for so many pics :P

Student
    WOW, Thats really bad stuff. Glad your ok, which is the main thing!
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So on the police report whose fault did the police officer say it was? Hope you feel better but i'd file civil charges quick if it was the drivers fault. I went through something simular and was stuck with a hefty hospital bill and a tibial stress fracture.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Mashed!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    i dont know if they sayed whos at fault. but they charged the driver for failure to stop, and maybe some other things..I'll have to see from the police report when i get it tomorrow

SuperInstigator
    It's good you didn't get seriously hurt!

About the bike...Snif...Snif...Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

He ran through a red light? His fault. No two ways about it.

TIMM
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

College Boy
    I would get on the case because you should get his insurance to cover all you medical cost as well as what it would cost to replace your bike. I would get on it fast so you can get everything because by the sounds of it is his fault and he has the legal responsibility to pay for everything.

Cannondale Snob
    And don't forget, your neck hurts and you need extra $$$ for that!
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Noob
    And hope he doesn't have All State. : (

Glad to hear that you are OK, the bike can be replaced.

Don't sign anything too quickly/take money too quickly for medically related issues. Most (if not all) of the time, those agreements (try to) prevent you from going back after them at a later date. So you can have other issues pop up later and you have no recourse. Since it's from a car accident, you aren't supposed to claim it on your regular medical insurance either. Some insurance companies will see situations like this and try to settle for a menial amount very soon because of risk at a much larger claim in the long run.

Just be careful. If it were me, I would consider contacting a lawyer. Not an ambulance chaser. Just someone who can inform you of the proper, legal, way of handling a situation like this. Even if you never even use them to contact anyone, let alone needing them in a court room, but they will be there for that if you need it. Insurance claims against vehilce insurance policies can get nasty for medical bills, even if by every right, they should just pay it (see the All State comment).

College Boy
    You have to explain the all state comment.

But yeah the auto insurance company can be a role pain in the rear to get money out of and like Trouble Maker suggest contact a lawyer just to figure out what your legal rights are and worse case is you sue and you will win the suit and not have to pay your legal fees. But contact a lawyer at least will help you get all your ducks in a line.

Also do not sign away anything to quickly because they try to put a clause in there preventing you from going back. Back when my mom was prevent with me and the girl hit them they insurce company followed my parents to the hospital and state they would not pay unless they sign away the right to sue if anything was wrong with me which is hugely illegal and chance are if anything was wrong with me it would never of held up in court but still just have to know your rights.

The most important thing is your are ok. Oh and scrap what ever parts are still good off your bike. The insurance money should put the value of everything on the bike but you can still take parts that are still good and use that money for other upgrades but sadly by the looks of it you can get your pedals, water bottle cages and maybe the saddle and seat post.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    You have to explain the all state comment.
    As far as I've heard, they will never settle out of court. They will take every single claim to court and be very, very nasty, during the entire process.

I don' t know if this is just medical claims, or 'pain and suffering', but I'm pretty sure this is even medical claims.

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
    As far as I've heard, they will never settle out of court. They will take every single claim to court and be very, very nasty, during the entire process.

I don' t know if this is just medical claims, or 'pain and suffering', but I'm pretty sure this is even medical claims.

Oh i see they figure they will bankrupt the person with legal fees before they will pay. trade off is if they lose in court they have to pay a ton of money in legal fees and that does even go against the coverage.

In court you will win your case just the trouble is getting it there if you have a company trying to make it slow by hoping to make you give up in legal fees or not be able to afford it any longer.

Double-metric mtb man
    Man, that sucks!

I've been doing an advanced type of first aid course, so I know what sort of a PITA being collared and boarded can be...even for as little as 15 minutes.

Here's hoping that you heal up quick from the injuries that you did get and that they will do the right thing by your bike....and that the driver meets "Bubba" for a few minutes to remind him of just how serious what he did was (not that anything needs to happen to him...a few hours around a 300+ lb con to make him sweat being behind bars is sufficient).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    And don't forget, your neck hurts and you need extra $$$ for that!
    Heck, that makes my neck hurt! Get some extra cake for that as well!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was sooo bummed that beautiful bike was totaled, I almost forgot you were OK!!! Hope you heal up soon!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Akira, as much as it hurts my eyes to look at your bike this late at night, I can tell you put a lot of thought and care into your build.

What caught my eye is your Nokon beads mated up to what appears to be conventional housing. What did you use to join the two?

I'm happy you didn't suffer too bad of a beating, and again find myself questioning my own bike commute / route.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Akira, as much as it hurts my eyes to look at your bike this late at night, I can tell you put a lot of thought and care into your build.

What caught my eye is your Nokon beads mated up to what appears to be conventional housing. What did you use to join the two?

yeah, it took me a few months and a lot of $$$ :/

the nokon<-->housing were connected by, i think they're called, "ferrels"? im not completely sure thats what they are called, but i'll get back to you once i find out

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira27
    yeah, it took me a few months and a lot of $$$ :/

the nokon<-->housing were connected by, i think they're called, "ferrels"? im not completely sure thats what they are called, but i'll get back to you once i find out
    I think they're spelled 'ferrules' but I'm not sure either.

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Tattooed Scumbag
    Glad to hear that you are up and running ....Here's to a quick recovery...

RIP Serotta

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    dang, take a hammer to the rest of the bike to get some more money!
    at least it wasnt your mtb, right?

mtbr member
    wow, that's ugly. wouldn't have thought the handlebar would bend like that.

glad you are at least relatively ok. Spending 5 hours on a neck board had to be very unpleasant; sometimes I think they put people on them just to show how bad it could have been.

dontcha?
    damn holy crap.. i dunno how he didn't see you on that bike
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Double-metric mtb man
    I've had to help put a fair number of folks into C-collars and on to boards....they would make effective teaching tools, I agree, especially for the "invincible" teens...

But we don't generally mess around when it comes to c-spine stuff. It is not the most comfortable thing to be in / on, but it sure beats the alternative wheels one could be rolling on!
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member

just be careful...

he ran the red light and you had the green light but his insurance company may try to get out of paying....you are still required to make sure it is safe to proceed whether you have a green light or not. This sucks but it's a technicality they can and will use to screw you over. He was at fault for running the red light but according to some a$$hole insurers you should have seen him running the red light and stopped as it was unsafe to proceed even though the light was green. I've heard of this happening before and will try to find a link so get your story straight...it appeared he was stopping and it was safe to proceed!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
    And hope he doesn't have All State. : (
    Timeless: "You have to explain the all state comment."

Not to me. I got it immediately. When I was a kid, part of our house/garage burned down and we had Allstate homeowners insurance..... 'Nuff said.